Born Again Christians - Brain Atrophy Study

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Katy-follower

Jun 25, 2011
Very interesting! A sister in Christ also heard about this and told me that she believes once us Christians are freed from the world, that this part of the brain is no longer needed maybe. Very interesting and I can see that. Notice how it's only those of us who have had a born again experience.

Link --> Born-Again Christians Singled Out in Brain Atrophy Study?

A recent brain image study found a curious link between the shrinking of the part of the brain responsible for memory and being a born-again Christian.

The study, titled “Religious Factors and Hippocampal Atrophy in Late Life,” from Duke University Medical Center analyzed high-resolution MRI data of participants’ hippocampal volumes and found that there was greater hippocampal atrophy in participants who were born-again Protestants, Catholics and those with no religious affiliation than people who are from Mainline Protestant churches.

In other words, non-born-again Christians had a bigger hippocampus than born-again Christians.
Wheaton College professor of psychology Dr. William Struthers described the study as interesting but called attention to what is missing.

“The covariates that they mention in the study – specifically age, depression status, and sex – are really missing and I would want to look at that data before I draw any additional conclusions from that,” said Struthers to The Christian Post on Thursday.

“My concern is how this data is utilized, and if it is used as a way to demean people of faith. Is it used as a way to make people feel as if they are stupid? That their brains are smaller because they are born-again Christians or they are born-again Christians because their brains are smaller,” he questioned. “[T]hat is a place that we want to be careful not to go.”

The shrinkage of the hippocampus has long been linked to depression, dementia, and Alzheimer’s Disease.
Although researchers offered no definitive reason for hippocampal atrophy in born-again Christians, they suggested that cumulative stress on believers may be a reason.

“These findings may reflect potential cumulative stress associated with being a member of a religious minority,” the study states. “Though religious factors have been associated with positive mental health, studies have shown members of religious minority groups may also experience stressors related to these group affiliations.”

But David Roozen, sociologist of religion at Hartford Seminary, dismissed that explanation.
“There are probably more born-again Protestants than non-born-again Protestants, and just about as many Catholics as either born-again or non-born-again Protestants,” said Roozen to Religion News Service.
Researchers conducted the study on 268 men and women over the age of 58 to learn about the relationship between religious factors and structural neuroanatomy. The study was done over several years following the same batch of participants.​

Last edited:
D

djness

I can indeed say that my life has been way more stressful growing up in the church and knowing about Christ. I often wonder what it would be like if I didn't know, or care.

I mean I look at other people and they have day to day worries, but they just explain them away but ''oh this is life''. There isn't some universal war going on around them with devils and angels and heaven and hell as far as they are concerned.

So ya...I can see how that would lead to some stress on the brain.

D

djness

Stress

The hippocampus contains high levels of glucocorticoid receptors, which make it more vulnerable to long-term stress than most other brain areas.[72] Stress-related steroids affect the hippocampus in at least three ways: first, by reducing the excitability of some hippocampal neurons; second, by inhibiting the genesis of new neurons in the dentate gyrus; third, by causing atrophy of dendrites in pyramidal cells of the CA3 region. There is evidence that humans who have experienced severe, long-lasting traumatic stress, show atrophy of the hippocampus, more than of other parts of the brain.[73] These effects show up in post-traumatic stress disorder,[74] and they may contribute to the hippocampal atrophy reported in schizophrenia[75] and severe depression.[76] A recent study has also revealed atrophy as a result of depression, but this can be stopped with anti-depressants, even if they are not effective in relieving other symptoms.[77] Hippocampal atrophy is also frequently seen in Cushing's syndrome, a disorder caused by high levels of cortisol in the bloodstream. At least some of these effects appear to be reversible if the stress is discontinued. There is, however, evidence mainly derived from studies using rats that stress shortly after birth can affect hippocampal function in ways that persist throughout life.[78]

Katy-follower

Jun 25, 2011
Hope no one misunderstands this study I posted. It isn't suggesting that a person is born again as a result of being schizophrenic, lol. Far from it. More that their study has shown those who had a born again experience do have one thing in common, but they are not able to give a thorough reason why this has occured among born again Christians.

They claim stress may be the reason but they don't know for sure. A lot of religions that have not had a born again experience no doubt suffer from stress, so stress could not be the reason. If we bear in mind that once born again our eyes are opened to the truth and we see the world differently. Those who are not born again continue as normal and are living in darkness without that conviction of their sins.

On the other hand, I wonder if this part of our brain is no longer needed once we are freed from the world, so not there anymore, once we have become a child of God?

Certainly this is interesting!

Jul 25, 2005
You don't necessarily have to be a super minority to feel like a super minority.

PopClick

Aug 12, 2011
"there was greater hippocampal atrophy in participants who were born-again Protestants, Catholics and those with no religious affiliation than people who are from Mainline Protestant churches."

The study was performed on only 268 people, and the non-religious ones were lumped with the born-again Christians. Sounds like they didn't actually reach any useful conclusions.

G

GRA

"there was greater hippocampal atrophy in participants who were born-again Protestants, Catholics and those with no religious affiliation than people who are from Mainline Protestant churches."

The study was performed on only 268 people, and the non-religious ones were lumped with the born-again Christians. Sounds like they didn't actually reach any useful conclusions.
A 'classic' case study :rolleyes: --- arranged to produce a particular 'result' ;) -- which is probably totally useless. :p

Perhaps somebody wanted to create a certain "slant" against born-again christians? :eek:

(Or, influence people to gravitate toward the "Mainline Protestant churches"...)

"It's no telling..." :confused:

Katy-follower

Jun 25, 2011
A 'classic' case study :rolleyes: --- arranged to produce a particular 'result' ;) -- which is probably totally useless. :p

Perhaps somebody wanted to create a certain "slant" against born-again christians? :eek:

(Or, influence people to gravitate toward the "Mainline Protestant churches"...)

"It's no telling..." :confused:

Was an interesting read, regardless. I see what you're saying. Worrying if that's the case. Hope it doesn't put someone off. I read that the freemasons have a "born again" ritual where they enter a coffin, reveal all their secrets to a group and then exit the coffin, having been "born again" - worrying if people associate freemasonry with begin born again. Another counterfeit for sure.

Katy-follower

Jun 25, 2011

Well maybe stress is the main cause then? Those non religious who are depressed show a greater atrophy just like born again Christians that have their eyes wide open to what's going on in the world or something.

Interesting read anyway.

G

GRA

So many variables...

There is no way that '268' can narrow it down so finitely.

Jan 15, 2011
In other words, non-born-again Christians had a bigger hippocampus than born-again Christians.
Explain to me exactly how a Christian can be "non-born again." You're either a born again Christian or you're not a Christian.

G

GRA

Explain to me exactly how a Christian can be "non-born again." You're either a born again Christian or you're not a Christian.
I believe the term is referring to people who call themselves Christians but do not believe in the necessity of being 'born-again' to be a Christian. (Remember, this is being said from a worldly point of view.)

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
Having seen some of the threads people post, i can believe this to a point...

Katy-follower

Jun 25, 2011
Sorry for the confusion.

Just as Gra said, that's what I meant.

I don't like the title Christian because everyone and their dog says they're Christian these days and not everyone is ("depart from me"). You are either born again which makes you a true Christian or you're not Christian... hence "born again" or "not born again"

Katy-follower

Jun 25, 2011
I believe the term is referring to people who call themselves Christians but do not believe in the necessity of being 'born-again' to be a Christian. (Remember, this is being said from a worldly point of view.)

Exactly what I meant :)

Jan 15, 2011
Sorry for the confusion.

Just as Gra said, that's what I meant.

I don't like the title Christian because everyone and their dog says they're Christian these days and not everyone is ("depart from me"). You are either born again which makes you a true Christian or you're not Christian... hence "born again" or "not born again"
Hmm interesting point. I believe that those people to whom Jesus will say "depart from me" are those who have been saved but have not heeded God's voice and given to destructive doctrines that pervade the "professing" Church today. Because people are more concerned with receiving blessings and following things that feel good to their flesh because it lines up with the values of the world. It's one thing to be saved, it's another to obey Christ and abide in His truth.

Yes the term Christian in today's society has been misused and even applied to groups that follow doctrines of demons and even deny the deity of Christ. The early church referred to themselves as believers, saints, and followers/disciples of Christ before the term was used in Antioch.

Katy-follower

Jun 25, 2011
Once born again you become a child of God. It would be impossible for God to then say "I never knew you". This statement is only directed at those who never knew Christ as their savior for they never called out to Him. They were depending on their works to save them, like the Pharisees. They thought religion and works would get them to Heaven but they didn't look for a relationship with Him. Those are the ones that He tells to depart.

People who are saved bear fruits of their salvation. A "fake" Christian has itching ears and does what they feel fits into their lifestyle and makes them feel good, as you mentioned. A person who is spiritually renewed, "born from above" does not follow the way of the world because they have been brought out of darkness. Knowing the truth means you can see all error and avoid it. So people that commit apostasy would be those that never knew Christ to begin with. The way I see it, "will the fake Christians please stand up and depart" - we are coming to know who they are as they are "falling away" as described in Revelations. They were never saved because "if they were of us they would've stayed with us".

I noticed a bumper sticker recently that said "born again disciple of Christ" - can't get much clearer than that! Had he have said Christian that would've covered a wide area of protestants/fake religions. It's become difficult to identify ourselves to others. I usually tell others I'm a born again Christian.

Bookends

Aug 28, 2012
Quick, take me to the clinic so I can get a born-again test to see if I'm saved!!!

Maybe this is the reason for partial preterist view of eschatology.