Born opposed to gay marriage? Science says yes?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

1still_waters

I think I understand the link that is trying to be made here, I just don't think the science supports it. I don't think common sense really supports it either.

The statement that we are born with the capacity and perhaps even proclivity for faith seems correct and that's what the science posted supports.

The statement that what you personally believe is therefore a genetic inheritance DOES NOT FOLLOW. Your capacity to believe it does. Your willingness to believe it does. But the specifics of those beliefs are completely irrelevant. A Muslim, a Hindu, a Christian, a Jew, a Buddhist, etc are all born with the exact same capacity...however what they believe is different.

The specifics of the belief system are passed down from generation to generation, but not genetically. At least there is nothing at all in any of the research posted that suggests such a thing.

You are not born thinking gay marriage is wrong. You are born with the capacity to believe in God. You learn about God through religion, both texts and teaching. You are willing to accept what you have learned as truth and therefore believe that gay marriage is wrong. But it is not the physiology that made you believe this, it's the physiology that made it POSSIBLE to believe this.
I'm gonna give my most educated reply ever....

NUH-UH!

Actually I do agree with you, but since our atheist types love to rely on science, the logical outcome of what they say they trust, well umm..what I stated already.

R

rainacorn

Well if you want to talk with atheists on a scientific or logical level, then you have to come armed. You don't do yourself (or the Body) any favors by not understanding what you're posting about or talking about. Even a moderately smart atheist would chew this up and spit it out.

Iron sharpens iron, so I'm glad we can discuss this in a 'safe place.'

1still_waters

Well if you want to talk with atheists on a scientific or logical level, then you have to come armed. You don't do yourself (or the Body) any favors by not understanding what you're posting about or talking about. Even a moderately smart atheist would chew this up and spit it out.

Iron sharpens iron, so I'm glad we can discuss this in a 'safe place.'
Not really. Cuz if they say religion is a result of biology, then it follows that everything that springs from that is a result of the initial cause. Again, speaking to them at their level. I don't agree with them.

Quite simple.

Feel free to reuse my NUH UH. It's effective.

R

rainacorn

Rain,

In other words, if we are born to believe in God,then quite possibly we are also born to believe certain things, such a homosexuality is wrong, stealing is wrong, adultery is wrong, etc...
I think you have something of a point here.

There are some things that seem to echo across pretty much every belief system as being 'good' or 'bad.' Even non-believers understand a general right from wrong without any kind of advanced instruction.

Eve ate the apple, now we all know.

Homosexuality is something that isn't just considered bad, but rather 'disgusting' to a lot of cultures. People are repulsed by it. It's an 'abomination.' Disgust is a natural function, so in that way I definitely think someone can be born thinking it's disgusting.

However, I do think someone needs to learn how to marginalize those people. You have to learn how to be a racist, for example, even though some people are born finding certain other races 'disgusting.' You have to learn how to segregate. You have to learn how to fight for inequality. You have to be taught that some people don't deserve rights.

You also have to be taught how to overcome disgust if that reaction is harmful. If you've ever been around a toddler that tries to throw up when you feed them vegetables, then you totally get this. lol That knee jerk disgust mechanism isn't always right.

I'm not trying to make a case for the gays or anything, I've just been reading some interesting stuff on the disgust mechanism recently. It's kind of a new area of research, so keep your eyes peeled if you like this kind of thing. Humans are super interesting.

Sorry for the ramble...sleep deprivation.

Dec 25, 2009
Some "scientific" studies have linked the presence of faith/belief in God, with certain characteristics in the brain.
I had to really move through a ton of links to finally find a source and when I found it I was very disappointed. The study had an extremely small sample size and didn't come to any significant findings. This is simply sensationalist media. I may be wrong on this because I can't seem to find the paper written by Brick Johnstone, if it indeed exists, anywhere. The study I found just talked about changes in brain patterns in people who claimed to have had religious experiences.

Secularists, atheists, liberals, the 'intelligencia', they all claim their 100% allegiance and trust in 'science'.
They claim all their allegiance to a process? Okay, sure. But not all findings made by the scientific process are correct. Most scientists know this. Scientific research is prone to errors and misinterpretations based on missing data. Sometimes incorrect models are supported by the available evidence (which can sometimes be incorrect data). The models may have some sense of rightness to them as someone can make predictions based on them that correspond with reality. Such was the case with the only study I could find linked.

So if you want to look at it from a certain angle, secularists/atheists/the intelligencia, must believe that people have no choice when it comes to belief in God. So it would follow that those opposed to gay marriage for purely 'religious reasons' were born that way. They can't help it! Right?
Even if I grant your distorted views of what these studies are saying that doesn't mean just because someone can't help the way they are doesn't mean they are acting in a way that benefits society. There actions would still not be morally justified.

Our secularist/atheist friends want us to be tolerant and accepting of gay marriage, because their science 'proves' gay people were born that way and they had no choice.
So far, only some cases of homosexuality have been shown to be correlated with fetal development of the mind, be it through genetics and/or different conditions of the mother's body.

Well if we have to be tolerant and accepting of them because they were 'born that way', doesn't it follow they MUST be tolerant and accepting of those opposed to gay marriage because of faith'religious.God reasons? I mean, we were just born that way right? Science seems to back it up. And if they're going to have 100% allegiance to 'science' then they have to accept that us religious folk were just ummm...born this way!
We can definitely tolerate such behavior. However, that doesn't mean that anyone has to tolerate the behavior once it starts to infringe on other people. For example, even though you can tolerate someone who has a predisposition to violent behavior doesn't mean you allow them to commit violent acts. You just have to get them help and put them into an environment were their harmful acts can be restrained.

And again, this is said tongue in cheek to prove various points.
Okay.

Last edited:
V

violakat

Interestingly, the Bible does seem to say that we are all born with a moral code, meaning we know right from wrong. Romans 2 specifically verses 14 & 15.
"for when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do the things in the law, these, although not having the law, are a law to themselves, who show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and between themselves their thoughts accusing or else excusing them"

There are also other places in the Bible that talks about God writing the moral code on the hearts of His people.

X

XxX4201337B3457XxX

I suppose it can be grouped like an addictive personality or a natural tendency towards addiction, but I find your post a little misleading. People are born without any knowledge of any Deity, and all religion in taught.

1still_waters

I suppose it can be grouped like an addictive personality or a natural tendency towards addiction, but I find your post a little misleading. People are born without any knowledge of any Deity, and all religion in taught.
I was gonna read what ya posted, but I got tired after reading your user name. :p

Either way...

NUH-UH!

J

Jullianna

I think people can steer "science" to justify pretty much anything they want and some folks will fall right into the hole nodding.

The bottom line for me is that whether I'm born with a bent to do/not do something, I still have a choice to make as to whether I'm going to do it or not. I was born with a bent to want to punch someone in the face when I'm really angry. That doesn't make it okay. As violakat mentioned, how many people do you know with a bent toward adultery? Does that make it okay?

J

Jullianna

LUKE 1:
39At that time Mary got ready and hurried to a town in the hill country of Judea, 40where she entered Zechariah’s home and greeted Elizabeth. 41When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. 42In a loud voice she exclaimed: “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear! 43But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? 44As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy. 45Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished!”

Jul 25, 2005
I think people can steer "science" to justify pretty much anything they want and some folks will fall right into the hole nodding.

The bottom line for me is that whether I'm born with a bent to do/not do something, I still have a choice to make as to whether I'm going to do it or not. I was born with a bent to want to punch someone in the face when I'm really angry. That doesn't make it okay. As violakat mentioned, how many people do you know with a bent toward adultery? Does that make it okay?
Exactly. People cannot recognize the difference between good science and science with an agenda.

While I found those books classifying liberalism as a mental disorder amusing, they have no weight either. It is all ad hominem with an air of sophistication.