Bread Experiment

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
have you ever tried mixing nuts with egg white befor adding the oat flour, preferably cashew nuts. And add a bit of baking soda.

Personaly I like to fry a pizza bread base in a pan with oat flour, works better in taste for me. 😂
Pizza is an extremely lean dough that the is cooked/baked at high temperatures...the oats will burn

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Oh I forget to mention you make a gooey peanut butter with the cashew nuts and egg white by blending them together then add the flower and baking powder and bake or fry, if you fry you can tastes more tastes if you add more ingredients to the mix,. 😊 Anyhow I'll give you a picture soon after I've tried yours
Some sort of nutty bread?
My experience is that they usually come out very dense and dry. The nut-butter usually wraps around the starches starving the yeast.

I would suggest trying to use a sponge method for that bread. Then baking powder isn't so necessary. Also kick up the amount of yeast and sugars.

If you put enough sugar on something it will always taste good.

The real trick is to not use sugars and have it taste good anyway.

But keep an eye on the bread...nuts have a way of burning very quickly and easily.

de-emerald

May 8, 2021
Some sort of nutty bread?
My experience is that they usually come out very dense and dry. The nut-butter usually wraps around the starches starving the yeast.

I would suggest trying to use a sponge method for that bread. Then baking powder isn't so necessary. Also kick up the amount of yeast and sugars.

If you put enough sugar on something it will always taste good.

The real trick is to not use sugars and have it taste good anyway.

But keep an eye on the bread...nuts have a way of burning very quickly and easily.
😂 Haha you make me laugh,. Nutty bread yes honestly it does rise if you catch it quick enough it will not burn. And if you use the right quantity it don't tastes nutty, nuts ultimately can be compressed into oil, so when you mix nuts into peanut butter, via just egg white and nuts, they make a really good taste oil for bread,. Especial cashew nuts. 3 to 4 mins frying time 10 to 12 mins baking time, I love my nutty recipes, along with strawberries recipes . Strawberries and oats are wonderful recipe for an over night porridge soak, home made oat flour bread with strawberry Jam is wonderful.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
So today I went around in St Louis and visited bakeries. 2 separate ones in the last little Italy in America. Very nice...had two different meals there too. Both very wonderful. Mamma's and Guido's.
Fuhgetaboutit....

Then I went to the source of their breads...Vito's.

Awesome basic bread.

They had a bunch of spritz cookies.

Then Missouri Bakery,...
Then finally we went to Union Loafers....great flavored Sourdough...slight Wang to the Sourdough (which was sour).
But they have turned themselves into a restaurant...moreso than a bakery.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
So last night I made another batch of oat&honey bread.
I need to adjust it one more time.
Hydration level needs to be at 70% to flour and then increase sugars to 12% and oats to 20%.

That should work out awesome.
Texture and flavor worked out great with a longer proof...but I want it heartier.

Then my handling skills were not exactly what I hoped. I only got one to look like a rolled up blanket. The others looked like oversized croissants.

But the bulls eye is in sight.

T-minus 4 months and counting.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
So many flours...
So many choices...
Not enough time to try them all....

Spelt
Whole wheat
Oat
Light Rye
Dark Rye
Barley
Buckwheat
Teff
Rice
Semolina
Corn

Anybody have a favorite?

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
So many flours...
So many choices...
Not enough time to try them all....

Spelt
Whole wheat
Oat
Light Rye
Dark Rye
Barley
Buckwheat
Teff
Rice
Semolina
Corn

Anybody have a favorite?
I may eat more pasta than bread, so I would probably have to say semolina :D

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
So today I went around in St Louis and visited bakeries. 2 separate ones in the last little Italy in America. Very nice...had two different meals there too. Both very wonderful. Mamma's and Guido's.
Fuhgetaboutit....

Then I went to the source of their breads...Vito's.

Awesome basic bread.

They had a bunch of spritz cookies.

Then Missouri Bakery,...
Then finally we went to Union Loafers....great flavored Sourdough...slight Wang to the Sourdough (which was sour).
But they have turned themselves into a restaurant...moreso than a bakery.
Sounds like a productive fun day :)

You must have been stuffed after all that :giggle:

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
So...
Last night I made my infamous honey, oatmeal bread.

I really need a proof box and better quality honey than what I used.

But it wasn't horrible.
What is a proof box? :unsure:

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
It will give them a Bisquick taste but it will work...
Bacon grease works great too.
Just saying...
My mom used to pour off and save the bacon fat to put in oatmeal cookies. As
kids we were somewhat horrified to discover this, and ate the cookies some
what tentatively at first after that, but discovered straightaway that it could
not be tasted. They were still the same cookie we had always known and loved :D

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
What is a proof box? :unsure:
A proofer or proof box is a type of cabinet we store unproofed bread in to get it to rise quickly.
It's usually around 80-90° F (sometimes a bit higher) and extremely humid.

And it can reduce proofing times from 2 hours to 20 minutes.

Also helpful when taking bread out of the refrigerator and trying to get it ready to bake very quickly in the morning before morning rush.

3am is the current planned start time and the drive through will start getting busy at 6:30. And I'll need deliveries done all over town by 6:00am too....meaning that the trucks gotta leave by 5.

It won't happen without a proof box.

When a bakery says "fresh baked"....we can't be telling fibs.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
My mom used to pour off and save the bacon fat to put in oatmeal cookies. As
kids we were somewhat horrified to discover this, and ate the cookies some
what tentatively at first after that, but discovered straightaway that it could
not be tasted. They were still the same cookie we had always known and loved :D
Bacon/pork fat has that perfect melting temperature. And when it's clarified a very mild flavor that provides a richness that cannot be equalled....except by palm oils. They can rival pork fat. They are worse for you than pig fat...but almost just as good.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Bacon/pork fat has that perfect melting temperature. And when it's clarified a very mild flavor that provides a richness that cannot be equalled....except by palm oils. They can rival pork fat. They are worse for you than pig fat...but almost just as good.
I loved James Herriot's books about his life as a British veterinary surgeon. I recall now
the story of him being sat down for breakfast with a farmer whose animal he had just
tended. Breakfast mainly consisted of a slab of lard, which, to his credit in desiring not
to insult his host/s, he manages to choke down. I found a chapter summary:
After a calving,
Mr. Horner invites him into a breakfast of bread, butter, jam and 100% fat bacon that is eaten
cold. Only by spooning tons of piccalilli on it, is James is able to gag it down.
My mother used
to use lard in the making of her home made pie crusts... until she discovered Crisco :unsure:
But our oatmeal cookies always had the poured off bacon fat in them :D

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
I loved James Herriot's books about his life as a British veterinary surgeon. I recall now
the story of him being sat down for breakfast with a farmer whose animal he had just
tended. Breakfast mainly consisted of a slab of lard, which, to his credit in desiring not
to insult his host/s, he manages to choke down. I found a chapter summary:
After a calving,
Mr. Horner invites him into a breakfast of bread, butter, jam and 100% fat bacon that is eaten
cold. Only by spooning tons of piccalilli on it, is James is able to gag it down.
My mother used
to use lard in the making of her home made pie crusts... until she discovered Crisco :unsure:
But our oatmeal cookies always had the poured off bacon fat in them :D
That's hilarious

I've been told that in Russia they eat lard on toast as a great treat...yuck...sorry I can't do that.

Currently I'm trying to negotiate power needs and proper cut sheets for equipment with the architect and engineers

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Just to use one of my spiritual gifts....

I am so sick of computer time trying to make cut sheets and installation guides and working out paperwork issues....

I'm not going to mind a lick about 120 lbs batches of dough rolled into little 2oz balls.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
The latest experiment was with whole wheat bread.

So far so good. Not overworked and a decent albeit slow rise....but the heat advisory and super high humidity has helped.

Took 30+ minutes to bake....but it looks great.

I forgot to take butter out of the fridge so tasting will be delayed a bit.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
So the experiment with whole wheat was good. Great crumb and texture.
A tad bit less salt next time and possibly a hair more hydration than white bread requires will perfect this recipe.

But one part whole wheat meal to 2 parts bread flour was a great ratio to work with.

Especially letting it rest overnight to allow for moisture absorption of the wheat was a good idea.