Break in my plan

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

IDEAtor

Senior Member
Aug 15, 2012
827
19
18
Yesterday, I needed to get some things taken care of. In my mind, I was going to do this and that. I was going to skip a family outing, so I might get some important work completed. But, when I needed a break, I read this message on my phone: We are leaving in 30 mins. Sure, it could have been a distraction, but the experiences to follow were perfection that i had not planned. Yes, I went.

After hurrying to come to a stopping point and communicate my need to leave, I speedily made my way across towns to get to my destination: a day at the lake with the fam.

I got to see my missionary family, sister and brother-in-law, mother, and grandmother. And I also got to witness a strength for my family, including the orphan. There was a young girl who had come along to share the experience.

The day was spent laughing at ourselves, humbling ourselves, enjoying ourselves, and praising God. Everyone loved each one's company. It was one of those days for the scrapbook kind of days.

While I enjoyed the encounter with my cousins, the richest experience I had was just sitting with my 83 year old christian grandmother and going "bird watching" with her.
You see, the others had left the picnic to go swim, so someone needed to watch the meal site. She could have done that herself; in order to assist her, I stayed back.

First, we sat together and focused on cleaning the food area. Next, she shared about a book that she is reading. Then, wanting to move, I asked if she would like to go birdwatching. (There are 3 aspects of grandmother that will remain in my heart forever: She is hospitable, she loves poetry, and she loves nature-- always praising God for the diversity of Creation.) Contrary to strength or normal feels of walking at her age and condition, she agreed.

We walked the flattest portions, me guiding her by the hand at times and giving her space to try it herself. Ironically, we never saw any birds. Hahahahaha! Instead, due to her physical posture, she focused on the ground... the hardened mud's varying designs, the swirl of the castaway logs, and other normal surface level sightings.
Well, while the "birdwatching" ceased, my 83+ grandmother walked on to the beach and back. Awesome!

Before getting back, I said to her-- reminiscing on old seashell gathering memories-- "Let's see if we can find one item to take as a keepsake." A moment later, i found a green plastic army-man. Once I examined I was elated to share with her, "Look, grandma! Look at it." Examined it the obviousness, "It is green." I was like, "No. Look again, look really close. What is he holding?" She said, "A grenade." I was like, "No. Not a grenade, look again." She said, "Oh, they are binoculars." I replied, "Yeah. That is funny. We are 'birdwatching' and we find a plastic army man with binoculars." She agreed, but later was more engaged with a penny. "What year is it?" I said, "Guess."
Hahahahaha.

Prayer:
Lord, I thank you for ruining my plans. I know that there is much heartache and many nightmares in this cruel world. But I am so glad to know of a Presence that brings comfort. I am sorry for getting so busy with this and that to notice people more richly or to witness your awesomeness in nature. Thank you that, for a moment in time, I encountered You in a day at the not-beach :) May I help others experience what I just did by listening for and obeying your call in my life today. Get the glory, in Jesus' name, amen.