Burning Incense

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Poinsetta

Nov 24, 2018
is burning incense good for your health? is it a godly thing to do? if you do it too share your stories please.

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
Yes, in my church they burn it all the time and I have some at home which I burn outdoors not indoors. It’s frankincense, but I’m generally cautious with burning stuff indoors since you will inhale the smoke in your lungs and I’ve figured even if it’s some kind of miracle ingredient, any smoke in large amounts is not good for you.

This however doesn’t seems to cause any health issues for monks which burn it 3 times a day indoors during their prayers though.
So, I don’t know the health risks.

https://orthodoxwiki.org/Incense

MsMediator

Mar 8, 2022
I burn incense outside the door to keep out mosquitos.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
is burning incense good for your health? is it a godly thing to do? if you do it too share your stories please.
There are a lot of references to burning incense in the O.T.
I looked this up when I saw an Aikido teacher open his class by bowing prostrate to a picture of the grandmaster/ founder of his martial art. He was burning incense to it. I told him to quit burning it because it caused an asthmatic coughing fit in one of my students. I taught a separate class, my own MA, back to back at the time in my school.

I learned that many traditional Japanese from previous generations worshipped and prayed to their ancestors. That is forbidden by the Bible as was the burning of incense to the pagan deities.

I understand that some people just like the scent of incense, but much of it contains lead. I don't know if any companies actually third party lab certify their incense to be lead free.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Marigolds are planted at doorways for such a purpose.:)(y):coffee::unsure:

arthurfleminger

Aug 18, 2021

Burning incense during worship and prayer to God is common in Scripture. For instance incense is offered to God, at His altar in heaven. We also see that burning incense is a pleasing aroma to the Lord. In Revelation 5:8, we see John’s vision of the heavenly temple, and he describes the prayers of the saints rising up to God like sweet-smelling incense. And in Revelation 8:3-4, we see the angel burning incense on the altar of incense in the heavenly temple.

Also, at Jesus' birth, the Magi presented Jesus with a holy gift of Frankincense. Incense is mentioned many times in the bible. When used during worship on earth, it represents our prayers rising upward to God.

Incense was used in worshipping God in the Old Testament, the New Testament, and the early Church.

ThyKingdomComeSoon

Apr 1, 2023
I used to burn incense until I came across this verse;

Isa 1:13 Bring no more vain oblations; incense is an abomination unto me; the new moons and sabbaths, the calling of assemblies, I cannot away with; it is iniquity, even the solemn meeting.

arthurfleminger

Aug 18, 2021
I used to burn incense until I came across this verse;

Isa 1:13 Bring no more vain oblations; incense is an abomination unto me; the new moons and sabbaths, the calling of assemblies, I cannot away with; it is iniquity, even the solemn meeting.
I always hate to see people pull Bible quotes out of context, it manages to change the meaning of God's Word into one's own word. But That's what you've done by pulling Isa 1:13 out of context.

Instead, read all of Isa, Cha 1 in context and you'll see that God isn't announcing His disdain for incense. Instead, He's delivering a powerful indictment of the religious hypocrisy of rulers and others who neglect just judgment and oppress the weaker members, yet believe they can please God with sacrifices and other external forms of worship. The long list of observances suggests the Lord’s tedium with such attempts. Sodom…Gomorrah: the names are picked up from v. 9, but now to emphasize their wickedness rather than the good fortune of escaping total destruction.

Their oblations of incense to God are nothing but hypocracy.

Read Isa, Cha 1 in it's full context.

ThyKingdomComeSoon

Apr 1, 2023
I always hate to see people pull Bible quotes out of context, it manages to change the meaning of God's Word into one's own word. But That's what you've done by pulling Isa 1:13 out of context.

Instead, read all of Isa, Cha 1 in context and you'll see that God isn't announcing His disdain for incense. Instead, He's delivering a powerful indictment of the religious hypocrisy of rulers and others who neglect just judgment and oppress the weaker members, yet believe they can please God with sacrifices and other external forms of worship. The long list of observances suggests the Lord’s tedium with such attempts. Sodom…Gomorrah: the names are picked up from v. 9, but now to emphasize their wickedness rather than the good fortune of escaping total destruction.

Their oblations of incense to God are nothing but hypocracy.

Read Isa, Cha 1 in it's full context.
I hate bullying on these forums, there might have be another way to express your disagreement. The lord prefer a pure heart and prayers. For the opening post question "is it a godly thing to do ?, my answer is no!

Psa 141:1 A Psalm of David. LORD, I cry unto thee: make haste unto me; give ear unto my voice, when I cry unto thee.
Psa 141:2 Let my prayer be set forth before thee as incense; and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.
Psa 141:3 Set a watch, O LORD, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips.
Psa 141:4 Incline not my heart to any evil thing, to practise wicked works with men that work iniquity: and let me not eat of their dainties.

Rev 8:1 And when he had opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven about the space of half an hour.
Rev 8:2 And I saw the seven angels which stood before God; and to them were given seven trumpets.
Rev 8:3 And another angel came and stood at the altar, having a golden censer; and there was given unto him much incense, that he should offer it with the prayers of all saints upon the golden altar which was before the throne.
Rev 8:4 And the smoke of the incense, which came with the prayers of the saints, ascended up before God out of the angel's hand.

Peace!