But many that are first will be last, and the last first.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 19, 2009
But many that are first will be last, and the last first. Matt 19:30 RSV
Some people, in their early lives, avoid the pitfalls of certain sins such as lust and substance abuse. These are the first. The others are the last.

But there comes a later test: the test of the temptation of pride.

Some who avoid the temptations of lust and substance abuse fall victim to the sin of pride. Here is where the first become the last.

Meanwhile, some who fell victim to the sins of lust and substance abuse in their early lives repent of these sins and also resist the temptation of pride. Here is where the last become the first.

starfield

Jun 13, 2009
Matt 20:1-16 Vineyard workers
1. For the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which went out early in the morning to hire labourers into his vineyard.
2. And when he had agreed with the labourers for a penny a day, he sent them into his vineyard.
3. And he went out about the third hour, and saw others standing idle in the marketplace,
4. And said unto them; Go ye also into the vineyard, and whatsoever is right I will give you. And they went their way.
5. Again he went out about the sixth and ninth hour, and did likewise.
6. And about the eleventh hour he went out, and found others standing idle, and saith unto them, Why stand ye here all the day idle?
7. They say unto him, Because no man hath hired us. He saith unto them, Go ye also into the vineyard; and whatsoever is right, that shall ye receive.
8. So when even was come, the lord of the vineyard saith unto his steward, Call the labourers, and give them their hire, beginning from the last unto the first.
9. And when they came that were hired about the eleventh hour, they received every man a penny.
10. But when the first came, they supposed that they should have received more; and they likewise received every man a penny.
11. And when they had received it, they murmured against the goodman of the house,
12. Saying, These last have wrought but one hour, and thou hast made them equal unto us, which have borne the burden and heat of the day.
13. But he answered one of them, and said, Friend, I do thee no wrong: didst not thou agree with me for a penny?
14. Take that thine is, and go thy way: I will give unto this last, even as unto thee.
15. Is it not lawful for me to do what I will with mine own? Is thine eye evil, because I am good?
16. So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called, but few chosen.

Those who were hired first and worked more hours weren't paid more rather the salary was allotted by the mercy of the householder i.e. equal salary. That is a perfect illustration of God's grace. As it is written there is none righteous no not one, and all have sinned and deserve nothing but eternal death but God in His infinite mercy made salvation available to all through Christ thus all who come before Him in humility will receive the same eternal life for salvation is not according to one's labour (Eph 2:9) or righteous deeds/pharisaical (Isaiah 64:6) but by the mercy of God. "But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works" (Rom 4:5-6). "So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy" (Rom 9:16). :)