Cain and Able

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
R

Ricke

Let us take look in The Bible at Adam and Eve's first children. The story begins in Genesis Chapter 4.
It is very plain these two were taught to offer to God the first of their increase. Later referred to paying Tithes.
We read where Cain brought God fruit of the ground, whereas his brother Abel brought The Firstlings of his Flock.. On verse 4 and 5 God is pleased with Abel's offering but no respect for Cain's offering. Cain got user when God told him about his offering. He had not done what God had told these boys. Abel did what he was told by God to do. But Cain somehow figured he could give God second best and God would accept it. He was wrong , and God tries to instruct him how to do the right thing (verse 7). But Cain had an attitude problem. Instead of just accepting God's further instruction, he gets jealous and kills his only Brother, and becomes the World's first Murderer.

In verse 9 God asks Cain "Where is Abel, thy Brother"? Cain smart- mouths off to God; " I know not, am I my Brother's keeper"? God saw the whole thing, and gave Cain a chance to own up to his deed. But like his Mom and Dad, he chose Pride over Repentance. God in his infinite Mercy puts a Mark on Cain so nobody would Murder him, like he Murdered his own Brother.

So if everyone will just give your thoughts and opinions on this tragic story. What lessons do each of you see here for Christians to understand about God, his Mercy and lessons from this event....your turn

G

giantone

Hebrews 11:4 *¶By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh.

Hebrews 12:24 *And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.

I would think Abel was covered by the sprinkling of blood as Adam and Eve were after they sinned and God made them a covering of bloody animal skins. (the tree leaves for covering there nakedness that Adam and Eve used before wasn't good enough for God). So Cain was not following God's picture because he gave the wrong offering. (but i'm sure the offering was very impressive) Cain should have followed Adam's example.

A

AgeofKnowledge

Well Ricke,

In Jude 11 false teachers, who are characterized as speaking abusively and ignorantly and living by instinct like unreasoning animals, are said to have “taken the way of Cain.” The story and image of Cain appear barely beneath the surface in Romans 7:11–25. Sin that lurked at Cain’s door and desired to have him, now seizes the opportunity in the commandment and “killed me” (Rom 7:11). Like Cain, the “I” has been instructed in the good and knows it but does evil nonetheless, a captive slave of sin. And like Cain, who finds the sentence of wandering and the specter of death more than he can bear, the cry is uttered: “Who will rescue me from this body of death?” (Rom 7:24).

A cluster of negative images ripple out from the Cain narrative. His name remains indelibly associated with images of anger, murder and a waywardness unchecked by wisdom, a cursed wanderer whose sage informs all who might be tempted to leave the fertile fields of faith to scavenge for existence in the barren land east of Eden.

Cain was a bad apple. His words, attitude, and behavior were unsafe to the extreme. God wants us to have safe words and behavior and display the fruit of self-control and love :).

C

charisenexcelcis

Yet to Cain, God said, "If you do well, will not [your countenance] be lifted up. And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door; and its desire is for you, but you must master it."

E

ed

Let us take look in The Bible at Adam and Eve's first children. The story begins in Genesis Chapter 4.
It is very plain these two were taught to offer to God the first of their increase. Later referred to paying Tithes.
We read where Cain brought God fruit of the ground, whereas his brother Abel brought The Firstlings of his Flock.. On verse 4 and 5 God is pleased with Abel's offering but no respect for Cain's offering. Cain got user when God told him about his offering. He had not done what God had told these boys. Abel did what he was told by God to do. But Cain somehow figured he could give God second best and God would accept it. He was wrong , and God tries to instruct him how to do the right thing (verse 7). But Cain had an attitude problem. Instead of just accepting God's further instruction, he gets jealous and kills his only Brother, and becomes the World's first Murderer.

In verse 9 God asks Cain "Where is Abel, thy Brother"? Cain smart- mouths off to God; " I know not, am I my Brother's keeper"? God saw the whole thing, and gave Cain a chance to own up to his deed. But like his Mom and Dad, he chose Pride over Repentance. God in his infinite Mercy puts a Mark on Cain so nobody would Murder him, like he Murdered his own Brother.

So if everyone will just give your thoughts and opinions on this tragic story. What lessons do each of you see here for Christians to understand about God, his Mercy and lessons from this event....your turn
Hi,
This is very difficult. These passages raise more questions than answers for me.
1) Cain was the elder Is Cain a type for what came after.
2) Cain made an offering. How many of us make inadequate offerings? Where do we stand?
3) Of Cain's offspring Jubal became the father of all who play the harp and flute. When, pre Noah.
4)Tubal-Cain (father?) of those who forged all kinds of tools bronze and iron.
5) Cain was building a city. Very early in his history
6) Cain was the elder but his work was working the ground which God had cursed.
Genesis 3:19 " By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food, until you return to the ground. Since from it you were taken; for dust you are and to dust you will return."]
Compare that to Jesus. Not dust to dust.
7) John 6:27 Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures for eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. 29 " The work of God is this, To believe in the one He has sent,"
love
edwin

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
In 1st John, we see what the real reason was for the murder. Cain did not love his brother, and John went so far as to write in scripture that everyone who does not love his brother is a murder, just as Cain was.

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
You know, now that I think about it, this is the only place where scripture speaks about this event, other than the original telling.

C

charisenexcelcis

You know, now that I think about it, this is the only place where scripture speaks about this event, other than the original telling.
Actually Hebrews speaks of why Abel offered up a better sacrifice and that the blood of Jesus speaks better than the blood of Abel, Jude mentions Cain as an example of wolves among the sheep, and both Luke and Matthew mention Abel as the beginning of the shedding of the blood of the prophets.

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
Actually Hebrews speaks of why Abel offered up a better sacrifice and that the blood of Jesus speaks better than the blood of Abel, Jude mentions Cain as an example of wolves among the sheep, and both Luke and Matthew mention Abel as the beginning of the shedding of the blood of the prophets.
Okay, but John is the only one who gives the reason for Cain's sin.

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
And you are right David, I just was thinking about the significance of the lack of love as being the motive and the reason for this murder.

Thanks for correcting me.

zone

Jun 13, 2010
what is astounding is that in the wider context Jesus condemns THE PHARISEES, saying THEY are responsible for all the righteous blood shed upon the earth "from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar."

hmmm......

Matthew 23

29 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because ye build the tombs of the prophets, and garnish the sepulchres of the righteous, 30 And say, If we had been in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets. 31 Wherefore ye be witnesses unto yourselves, that ye are the children of them which killed the prophets. 32 Fill ye up then the measure of your fathers. 33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the ****ation of hell?
34 Wherefore, behold, I send unto you prophets, and wise men, and scribes: and some of them ye shall kill and crucify; and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute them from city to city: 35 That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar. 36 Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation.

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
what is astounding is that in the wider context Jesus condemns THE PHARISEES, saying THEY are responsible for all the righteous blood shed upon the earth "from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar."

hmmm......

Matthew 23

29 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because ye build the tombs of the prophets, and garnish the sepulchres of the righteous, 30 And say, If we had been in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets. 31 Wherefore ye be witnesses unto yourselves, that ye are the children of them which killed the prophets. 32Fill ye up then the measure of your fathers. 33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the ****ation of hell?
34Wherefore, behold, I send unto you prophets, and wise men, and scribes: and some of them ye shall kill and crucify; and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute them from city to city: 35 That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar. 36 Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation.
What is even more amazing than this is that God spoke through the prophets and said that every drop of blood that has been spilled upon the earth will be answered for. For behold, the Lord is about to come out from His place to punish the inhabitants of the earth for their iniquity; and the earth will reveal her bloodshed, and will no longer cover her slain.

C

charisenexcelcis

And you are right David, I just was thinking about the significance of the lack of love as being the motive and the reason for this murder.

Thanks for correcting me.
I don't think that you are wrong. What you said fits into every one of these things. What I found interesting is the inclusion of Abel among the prophets.

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
I don't think that you are wrong. What you said fits into every one of these things. What I found interesting is the inclusion of Abel among the prophets.
I think that it is interesting also. I believe that we may have to revise our opinion of what a prophet is. Like one who is walking with God, in communication with God. That should include all of us.

Blessings brother,
vic

R

Ricke

Everyone is doing a great Job on this subject. I'm learning as well, To God be all The Glory....