can a crip gang member be the head of a church?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
R

roc

I'm a crip gang member from Newark n.j. and I feel like my called is to preach and teach the gospel to millions of people .I come from a very bad city like Jesus came from Nazareth but who determine if I could preach?

J

jimmydiggs

My suggestion, first, would be to examine what the bible says about a person who is to preach.

There's a few passages in one of the Timothys, but I don't recall which so someone will have to post those.

duewell

Mar 5, 2011
unless you start your own church, an existing church will determine if what you are a fit for there church. anyone can be a witness. if you feel you have a calling do what you can to make it happen.

we all have one thing in common, we are all sinners. some were worse than others. it doesn't matter if you used to be this or that example. st paul/saul founded a church and wrote a lot of the new testament. before his conversion he persecuted people for being christians. just understand that if you walk into an established church that if you are not talking about what they agree with they will not let you speak in their church.

Duewell

J

jd2k12

It depends, if you are still out there banging then no. What comes with that lifestyle contradicts the Christian life. Being the head of a church is a great thing but it is also a very dangerous thing. You are guiding God's sheep so you must be certain that you are preaching and living out the truth. A friend of mine grew up a blood as did many in the neighborhood. But when he got saved he realized that he needed to give it up and he did. Now he ministers to bloods and crips. Sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the lost thru Christian rap.

Y

yaright

I'm a crip gang member from Newark n.j. and I feel like my called is to preach and teach the gospel to millions of people .I come from a very bad city like Jesus came from Nazareth but who determine if I could preach?
Actually, Jesus made understanding possible in these matters; that those who hear the calling of the Word of God, believe, repent and follow Jesus; These are to go out and preach the gospel of Jesus Christ. Jesus referred to you as "Fishers of men" Because you personally know what Jesus had done for you. Job said it this way, Ask a fish, and it will tell you what God has done by His own hand.

Pretty neat when you see this;

Fishers of men
------------------------
Men like fish of the sea

Aug 2, 2009
You can start by volunteering for a prison ministry to preach the gospel to incarcerated gang members.

C

CrimsonFlames

We are all called to bear witness bro., every single one of us!

Actually one of my favorite preachers was an ex biker named Mad Dog Mudford., he is dead now RIP

He did not throw away his bike or his leathers.., he was rejected by the church because of his history and way he looked so he took his ministry where it counted the most.., the ganglands.

May God Bless your ministry bro., wherever you take it :)

Feb 16, 2011
1 Timothy 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behavior, given to hospitality, apt to teach; 3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous; 4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity; 5 (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?) 6 Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil. 7 Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

M

MaggieMye

I'm a crip gang member from Newark n.j. and I feel like my called is to preach and teach the gospel to millions of people .I come from a very bad city like Jesus came from Nazareth but who determine if I could preach? Where you come from is irrelevant. What IS relevant is your current CHARACTER and relationship with Christ. Are you born again? When? Have you been diligent in the Word so as to prove yourself approved?
You must...MUST fulfill the mandate of 1 Tim 3-7, above. Which also means that you should no longer be associated with any gang activity. We are told in Scripture to 'COME OUT' from the things of the world. If you cannot walk completely and fully away from your gang associations, then you are not ready to be a preacher. If you have not read the entirety of God's written word, you are not ready.
Going to the prison with a fellow Christian that is experienced in prison ministry IS a good place to start. Understand that EVERY call of God is always fulfilled by SUBMITTING to those that are over you in ministry. If you have a tough time submitting to authority of any kind, you seriously are not ready. It is imperative to remember that in order to LEAD, one must first SERVE...and then continue to serve as you lead. These are not my personal requirements for qualification, but they come right out of the Bible.
Maggie

M

MaggieMye

Also, it wouldn't hurt to take some pastoral courses~ just saying it will give you some credibility.

R

RachelBibleStudent

roc i hope you don't think i am trying to be mean... but to be totally honest...based on some of the questions you have been asking here...'is jesus an angel'...'who is I AM'...'what is the difference between baptists and catholics'...you don't seem ready to lead a church...

that doesn't mean you cannot evangelize though...

damombomb

Feb 27, 2011
If you are born again,and believe he is calling you to preach, go and preach, by all means, and do not be intimidated

M

MaggieMye

On the contrary. If you preach things that are not in the Bible and you do NOT KNOW who or what Jesus is, then you should not preach. If you truly believe that GOD put the call of Preacher/pastor upon you, the DO THE WORK THAT WILL QUALIFY YOU. Don't be a renegade and start your own church without the support and approval of your PEERS ... i.e. other proven pastors, evangelists, teachers. You MUST be held accountable for the words that come out of your mouth and if you are not mature in the Lord, you should not be attempting to lead others other than on a personal basis.

WHY? Because you are messing with the eternal future of the ones you speak to and you had better be doing it right or THEIR BLOOD will be upon YOUR HEAD!

Just sayin'~~~

A

AnandaHya

I'm a crip gang member from Newark n.j. are you still active?

and I feel like my called is to preach and teach the gospel to millions of people . perhaps it might be eventually but you have to learn before you are able to teach. Paul spent three years studying before he started his ministry. Jesus was thirty before he preached to the masses. Moses spent forty years in the desert before he was sent to lead the people out of Egypt. Sometimes it takes time and patience and a humble and contrite heart and mind willing to learn for scripture and the teachers God sends to educate you. Pride will be what hinders most people's spiritual growth, that and lack of discernment and impatience when they want to do what they want when they want instead of what God wants when HE leads.

I come from a very bad city like Jesus came from Nazareth but who determine if I could preach?
God determines if you could preach. you can preach all you want but unless you have a congregation who follows then you are not a pastor. preaching a sermon is totally different then pastoring a sheepfold with the lives of the people under you looking to you to help them understand God and His purpose for their lives. Helping them hear the Holy Spirit and learning how to pray and listen to God. accurately leading them through scripture and the basic tenets of Christianity. Before you can eat meat and discern good from evil you must have the milk. Before you can teach or lead you must have the meat. before you can pastor you must be mature and perfect in your doctrine, unable to be swayed by the winds but firmly rooted in Christ.

2 Peter 1
5 But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, 6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, 7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. 8 For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.

10 Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble; 11 for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Ephesians 4
13 till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ; 14 that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting, 15 but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head—Christ—

also do you remember this warning?

James 3:1
My brethren, let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment.

do you want to preach for the numbers of people who will look up to you and follow you and the power it gives you?
or would you be happy leading just one soul to Christ, for the glory of God?

N

Nalu

roc i hope you don't think i am trying to be mean... but to be totally honest...based on some of the questions you have been asking here...'is jesus an angel'...'who is I AM'...'what is the difference between baptists and catholics'...you don't seem ready to lead a church...

that doesn't mean you cannot evangelize though...
Greetings ROC.

I agree with Rachel. You have to study the Bible, get a solid Biblical foundation.

tribesman

Oct 13, 2011
I suppose you mean former crip gang member? No christians, of sound minds, would commend a presently active crip gang member to lead a mission. But, if repentant, the old past means nothing now.
2Cor.5

[17] Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.