Can anyone help? I feel like I'm faking my faith...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 20, 2020
Hey guys, I'm 17 and I have started studying the bible and getting to know a bit more about our relationship with God about 1/2 years ago so I'm still fairly new to all of this. I have been going to a religious high school / college for the last 6 years where all of the liturgies/masses have been forced upon us, so the prayers never felt 'real'. Now that I'm trying to build my relationship with God, I have been feeling as though whenever I pray, I'm just talking to myself in my head - like I'm not even talking to anyone. It makes me feel really insecure because when I have heard about other people's experiences, they all talk about this amazing love that they have and this amazing relationship that they have with God. Does anyone have any suggestions about how I can get past this stage or even if anyone has any similar feelings? Thanks :)

May 23, 2020
I can tell you bruh that there are seasons in life where you are going to feel like your prayers are bouncing off of a wall. I know for me, sometimes when I pray I feel like God won't do anything. Yeah lol sometimes it be like that. But one thing I suggest to you, is to remind yourself of what you know to be absolutely certain. And for me, that is whatever the word of God says, because we know that it is Truth. Therefore, I'll leave you with this scripture,

1 John 5:15 - "And this is the confidence that we have before Him; If we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we already possessed what we have asked go him"

This is what we KNOW about God. So you can go to God and as Paul says, be bold before him. Continue to pray what's on your heart. God will continue to shape you into desiring his will and you know that if your heart is really about praying the will of God, whether that may be having a deeper relationship with him or whatever else, that God hears you. Whether you feel it or not. And God is merciful. He cares about our feelings to and God will touch them too. We just have to focus on Him first.

"Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and all it's righteousness, and all else will be added unto you" - Matthew something lol

I hope this helps. It helped me!

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
Hey guys, I'm 17 and I have started studying the bible and getting to know a bit more about our relationship with God about 1/2 years ago so I'm still fairly new to all of this. I have been going to a religious high school / college for the last 6 years where all of the liturgies/masses have been forced upon us, so the prayers never felt 'real'. Now that I'm trying to build my relationship with God, I have been feeling as though whenever I pray, I'm just talking to myself in my head - like I'm not even talking to anyone. It makes me feel really insecure because when I have heard about other people's experiences, they all talk about this amazing love that they have and this amazing relationship that they have with God. Does anyone have any suggestions about how I can get past this stage or even if anyone has any similar feelings? Thanks :)
Gonna copy and paste what I said to another youngster the other day that had a similar concern. I hope it helps you:

NEVER rely on your "feelings". We can feel happy, sad. angry, compassionate...etc... Although good feelings can accompany Salvation, they are not necessarily proof of Salvation.

Feelings are TEMPORARY. TRUTH is Eternal! This is THE Gospel unto Salvation. There is NO other way in which men can be saved:

THE Gospel unto Salvation:
God wrapped Himself in human flesh in the form of His Son, Jesus the Messiah. Conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of a virgin. He suffered, was crucified, and died to pay OUR sin debt. He was raised to life from the grave to prove He had defeated death. If you confess Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that His Father resurrected Him to Life on the 3rd day, you WILL be saved. You will be filled, and sealed with the Holy Spirit, who will empower ALL to turn from their sins. The sin of adultery, lying, stealing, homosexuality, gossip, slander, drunkenness, covetousness, etc... And most importantly the sin of DEAD works, or a moral life in an attempt to EARN Salvation. He will also equip you to love like He did and do good works for HIS Glory.

One last thing. I went Catholic School. Most of my very large family remain Catholic. I'd greatly encourage you to find a different Church. Many heresies are taught and preached in the catholic church. Like the one you cited. Going to confession daily, weekly, monthly, whatever, to have some man absolve you of your sins, by telling you to recite 5 Hail Marys and 6 our Fathers.
You can confess DIRECTLY to Jesus. The veil has been torn. We need no priest. Too many other heresies to list now,

Be Blessed

Mar 10, 2021
Well, for one thing, you're definitely not alone. Tbh, I also have the same feelings. Sometimes I write something in a notebook expressing that I want to get closer to God, but I just don't know how. I've been reading the Bible from the beginning recently and it's helped a lot. Still, I want to have a real "relationship" with God.

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
I do not know if this may help anyone , but I just bought myself a Journaling bible, and I love it...It is an easier translation , so I do not use it for study , nevertheless , I feel as if I have grown in inches in my faith since the new year , and I give God all the glory...

I read my new bible , than I colour my pictures of Scripture in , and it is a great way to get Scripture into our hearts...

You can find many different Journaling bibles in all translations , it is a lovely cheerful way to spend with our Lord...
...xox...

EternalFire

Jan 3, 2019
I think pondering this question, addressed by Brother Kel in the video below, will help you build your relationship with God: "Have you received the Holy Spirit?"

Mar 31, 2021
Oregon
One huge sign that you have the Holy Spirit is you have a strong desire to tell others about Jesus Christ. There’s one lie circulating that you need to speak in a different language to prove you have the Holy Spirit. Turn to your Bibles and read intently about this, and the Lord will show you the truth.