Can Deaf people drive in the Philippines?

• Thread starter UpstateNYChristianBro
  • Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
U

UpstateNYChristianBro

HI, I wonder about the Deaf. Do they allow Deaf people to drive in the Philippines? I heard from a Deaf woman from the US that the Deaf can not drive.

Reason I am asking to be sure if any of you know the law about Deaf people having Driver's license and driving in the Phils.

I am relocating to the Phils to be with my future wife who is living in Marikina.

Well, any thing?

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
General Info:

There are provisions for deaf people to get a driver's license in the Philippines...but I'm not sure about the details.

Along with taking the driving test, everyone needs a medical certificate, and also a drug test.

I'm not sure how the deaf-driver provision works. You may need to have a hearing aid, and show that you can hear to some degree... I'm not sure. I imagine this gets sorted out when you get your medical certificate.

More Info:
You should be able to contact the people at this website, and get more specific info.
IDEA :: International Deaf Education Association, Philippines Deaf Education

Note:
As a foreigner, if you get into a traffic accident in the Philippines, there is a good chance you will just automatically get blamed for the accident, and become liable. You need to be very careful any time you're in a foreign country, even if it's a friendly place like the Philippines.

U

UpstateNYChristianBro

The last part, Maxwel, you wrote the note part about the accidents. That is what my sweetie said she is concerned because driving is very different there than where I live. Here in Syracuse is really nothing. I am used to driving around here with the style of driving of Syracuse, NY for 30 years plus. So, yeah, it is different and she said she is concerned and just said to me she rather to drive me around. We are going to run business together so we will use same vehicle to work and let her drive.. so we are working that out alright without any problems.

I perhaps not want to drive there because of the way the driving is there.. with all the jeepnays, motorcycles, dirtbikes (here in US, dirtbikes on the road is illegal), and manic drivers. I just read manila newspapers 2 days ago that they city is hiring 18,000 police officers to increase their police forces. OH boy! Perhaps many will do foot traffic as well as driving traffic area of law enforcement.

I think I am going to let her do the driving. When we are in US to visit home or working here as well, I will be driving.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
I think letting someone else drive is a good idea.

I believe I read they have about 5 traffic fatalities PER DAY in Manila.
It's a VERY big city.

: )

gideon007

Jun 30, 2012
i think that's a good idea that your fiancee will take the wheels while you're here in PHL or perhaps hire someone instead.

Most of the reasons on accidents/fatalities in Manila is over-speeding and drivers are men.

U

UpstateNYChristianBro

Ah, thanks!! She already told me that anyway...you just confirmed it.

U

UpstateNYChristianBro

I think letting someone else drive is a good idea.

I believe I read they have about 5 traffic fatalities PER DAY in Manila.
It's a VERY big city.

: )
Ah, sounds like NYC alright. I live in NY and I know even the City's driving records there. I think she also mentioned to ride bus or other means of transportation however, being in the city, have to travel in pairs for safety according to her. I also have a friend just told me today the same thing about Manila. And said to me its best if you want to enjoy the city, go outside of Manila. My gf is from Conception uno in the Marikina City so she said its better than in the city of Manila. Her home is close to the mountains full of forests. It is like living in Plattsburgh or Old Forge, NY or bigger--Troy,NY which is 30 minutes to the Adirondacks.. right next to the Adirondacks somewhat. So, having been to the Adirondacks, I know what she means and where she lives. It sounds ok. She said it is ok but always with someone especially at night. Never alone says she.

dliz

Filipino Room/Forum Moderator
Jun 13, 2012
I don't think it would be practical to drive in the Manila not unless you've been here before and know your way around. There are traffic laws and rules but it's not always followed or enforced. Don't be surprised when you see Jeepneys stopping and going wherever they want,people crossing without looking,etc. Lol. I highly suggest that you hire someone to drive you or the best way is to commute. :p