Can God do anything?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

selenah

If God can do anything, can He create something that He can't overcome? Sorry I'm asking so many questions guys. I'm not an atheist who's trying to have a good laugh or something stupid like that.

Dec 19, 2009
If God can do anything, can He create something that He can't overcome? Sorry I'm asking so many questions guys. I'm not an atheist who's trying to have a good laugh or something stupid like that.
I believe God can do pretty much anything. He can’t make us love him, and perhaps he can’t do paradoxical things like making a rock so big he can’t pick it up.

Jan 18, 2011
Either He can do anything, or He can't. If He can do anything, then something that He can't overcome couldn't possibly exist. Since it can't exist, it's a logically incoherent idea, so it has no meaning. Since it has no meaning, the question itself has no meaning and makes no sense. The question isn't actually asking anything. Just because something can be put into the form of a grammatically correct sentence doesn't mean it represents a logically coherent idea.

Apr 14, 2011
God can do anything, he can move mountains, islands, and send scorching fire on the Earth on the Day of the Lord, the period of God's wrath on the people who did not believe in Jesus Christ. He is the only one who can change a person's heart, mind, and soul. He is the only one who can spiritually stop a person from committing suicide. He gives a way out of sexual sin. Finally, he created the world and if he can do that, He can do pretty much anything that is pure, righteous, and clean. Nothing evil. He does not force us to love Him, we have the choice.

Jan 18, 2011
God can do anything, he can move mountains, islands, and send scorching fire on the Earth on the Day of the Lord, the period of God's wrath on the people who did not believe in Jesus Christ. He is the only one who can change a person's heart, mind, and soul. He is the only one who can spiritually stop a person from committing suicide. He gives a way out of sexual sin. Finally, he created the world and if he can do that, He can do pretty much anything that is pure, righteous, and clean. Nothing evil. He does not force us to love Him, we have the choice.
That didn't have anything to do with question.

Apr 14, 2011
Trust in the name, I did answer the questions. What I said implied that God would not make something that He couldn't overcome.

Jan 18, 2011
Trust in the name, I did answer the questions. What I said implied that God would not make something that He couldn't overcome.
Check out what I wrote. You'll see that talking about whether or God would or would not do so is the same thing as talking about nothing at all, because the idea itself is logically incoherent: it's a meaningless idea.

F

FollowerOfChrist91

The only thing God cannot do is sin because if God sinned He would cease to be God.

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011
God cant lie

May 2, 2011

Last edited by a moderator:
S

selenah

@Jisal: shut up

S

selenah

You're right, but really?

Jan 18, 2011
Apparently he can't. He still hasn't gotten around to making my genitals larger.
Just because He hasn't doesn't mean He can't. However, since we know that He can, and we know that He hasn't, and we know that He does whatever He pleases (Psalm 115:3), we can safely infer that He doesn't want to.

May 2, 2011
Just because He hasn't doesn't mean He can't. However, since we know that He can, and we know that He hasn't, and we know that He does whatever He pleases (Psalm 115:3), we can safely infer that He doesn't want to.
---------edited----------

Last edited by a moderator:
Y

ynohtna

greetings, I personally do not think that God has any limitations at all. but he may elect not to do things. As to what he can do he is so powerful that he can create an entire universe just by speaking it into existance.

god bless

U

unclefester

Comfort yourself with the assurance that God is perfect love. There is nothing that God's perfect love can't overcome......nothing at all. And He would never consider creating such a thing :)