Can I Be Forgiven?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

tfairless777

Before saved, I was a pedophile. Got help, Thank God I had a curable case. Im no longer one. But Im sad to say that before salvation I hurt a child. The child and family have forgiven me. Im having a hard time forgiving myself for what I did. I just want to know... Can God forgive me for what I've done. I've hated myself for this for the longest time. And not knowing if God forgives me is keeping me from serving Him like I want to. I know true repentance means to turn away. I have turned away and I am so so sorry for what I did. (Again i have been delivered) So my question is... Can I be forgiven?

S

SantoSubito

Of course you can be forgiven. Speaking as a Catholic baptism washes away all sin, and any sin confessed in the sacrament of penance is forgiven by absolution.

So go forth and be at peace for many men whose crimes are greater than yours have been forgiven because they trusted in Christ.

R

River_W

YES!

In Christ, we are cleansed and made new, regardless of how we feel about the past. Even though we mess up a lot, it does not do any good to wallow in despair, self pity, anger against ourselves, etc. It is hard, but it feels so much better when we forgive ourselves as Christ has forgiven us, and really believe that we are no longer identified by or bound by our sins. If you have accepted Jesus and repented of your sin, you are forgiven, declares our God.

1 John 1:9, 2 Corinthians 5:17, Psalm 103:12

In Christ,
River

O

oracle2world

Yes. You are not the person you were.

T

tfairless777

Thank you guys for replying. My next question is: How do I forgive myself. It seems forgiving myself has been harder than the therapeutic treatments. It just seems so impossible.

damombomb

Feb 27, 2011
Romans 8:1
Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, these are Pauls on words
look at him before Christ, then after
John 8:36If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

gotime

Mar 3, 2011
Act 3:19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

1Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Brother trust God and let him take your sin. I once was asking this same question, how can I forgive myself. Then I realized that I can't, only God can. Then when I repent I become a new person through the Holy Spirit. The person who did evil is now dead. why forgive a dead person, rather praise God for the person he has and is making you.

Rom 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
Rom 6:5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
Rom 6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
Rom 6:7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.

If you are truly repentant and you have accepted the new birth through the spirit which changes you, then praise your lord, and in faith remember that the old man is dead now. Don't worry about forgiving a dead man, rejoice in your new life. praise God for his forgiveness and daily walk in the spirit lest you fall and revive that man of sin. blessings brother.

JimJimmers

Apr 26, 2012
Excellent question, Tfairless. I have wondered how Paul forgave himself for wanting Steven stoned to death. I can't tell you exactly what to do, but please ask Jesus to fill you with The Holy Spirit. He is faithful, and if you feel His love around you, it will help you not flog yourself. I see you're only 18 now, so you must have been pretty young at the time. Don't let it pull you down for the rest of your life. -JIM

T

tfairless777

well, actually it was towards the beginning of my 18th year. it wasnt that long ago. It just seems to me like its been forever. But sitting in a jail cell I was thinking "I've destroyed myself. How did this happend, what did I do. How can I go on and look at myself in the mirror." things like that. the whole time I was in their (just 21 hours but felt like an eternity) I was glued to a carving on the wall. "Surrender to God. He loves you" I began to pray, and pray the whole time I was their. Gave my heart to Christ and have been trying to live for Him but me thinking that I've done something unforgivable is holding me back.

starfield

Jun 13, 2009
Thank you guys for replying. My next question is: How do I forgive myself. It seems forgiving myself has been harder than the therapeutic treatments. It just seems so impossible.
Satan’s goal is to have you continue to wallow in guilt and not benefit the joy of salvation after God has forgiven you. It's important to trust in God’s mercy and redemptive power because He promised that if we confess our sins He is faithful and just to forgive and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness and that He will not remember our sins anymore. Isaiah 43:25- I, even I, am he that blotteth out thy transgressions for mine own sake, and will not remember thy sins. Hebrews 8:12-For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more. Knowing that you’ve received pardon from God should be enough for you to forgive yourself and enjoy your relationship with Him.

R

River_W

Everybody is different in the way they handle their emotions, so the effective way that person A find to forgive him/herself, may not work for person B. But here is my best shot at some advice for you:

Like many things, this is a battle of the heart and the mind.
The heart: Past and present struggles with sin, spiritual lows, etc.
The mind: Low self esteem and confidence, negativity, etc.

What are some ways that you combat these?

Tell yourself constantly, "I am not the same person that I used to be." Remind yourself that you've truly been changed. I think that helps push away what we did in the past, and makes us more focused on how we are now and how we can be in the future.

When you don't forgive yourself, it's kind of like trying to be your own savior. Some people think,"If I just do this, then I feel like I've made up for what I've done..." or "I will be able to forgive myself when people think this of me, otherwise, I'm still the same person I was." No. That is not how anyone should think. When God forgives us of sin, it is gone! By not forgiving ourselves, we are sort of holding onto the sin--trying to do something to make up for it, instead of believing that we are removed from it. In other words, relying on ourselves and not God. Contemplating God's forgiveness puts us on the correct path to forgiving ourselves.

When we search ourselves and examine what exactly is contributing to these feelings, we come closer to figuring out why we feel like we can't forgive ourselves. Ask God, pray about it. He'll show you the way.

Hope this helps a bit!

In Christ,
River

Shilo

Aug 31, 2011
Find some bible verses that you can memorize and when the feeling of shame comes over you say them out loud. You are in a war of the Spirit and in a Spirit war you have to use the sword of the word of God to overcome. If you are around people just say it quietly but do verbalize the verse.
Psalms 23:3, "He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake."

2 Corinthians 10:4, "Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ."

Psalms 103:12, "As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us."

Romans 5:1, "Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ."

Isaiah 43:25, "I, even I, am he that blotteth out thy transgressions for mine own sake, and will not remember thy sins."

Hebrews 10:22, "...draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water."

Zephaniah 3:17The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will rejoice over you with gladness , he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing."

J

Jordache

Speaking as the victim of a pedophile, yes you can! In Jesus name, yes you can!

Oct 22, 2011
Gave my heart to Christ and have been trying to live for Him but me thinking that I've done something unforgivable is holding me back.
tfairless...the Word of God tells us that all sin shall be forgiven of men except one. Remember the words of our Lord...
Mat 12:31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
Mat12:32 And who soever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

This is one of Satan's tricks to have you think that what you've done can't be forgiven.
If you have prayed and truly asked forgiveness then trust in the Lord and know that our God is a merciful God.
And remember the verse that was already referred to,
1Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

In Christ, 1Christianwarrior316

Dec 19, 2009
Before saved, I was a pedophile. Got help, Thank God I had a curable case. Im no longer one. But Im sad to say that before salvation I hurt a child. The child and family have forgiven me. Im having a hard time forgiving myself for what I did. I just want to know... Can God forgive me for what I've done. I've hated myself for this for the longest time. And not knowing if God forgives me is keeping me from serving Him like I want to. I know true repentance means to turn away. I have turned away and I am so so sorry for what I did. (Again i have been delivered) So my question is... Can I be forgiven?
Yes, you can be forgiven.

L

Laodicea

Romans 5:8
(8) But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

Attachments

L

libertygirl

Ask God to give you the grace to forgive yourself.

A

Ariel82

well, actually it was towards the beginning of my 18th year. it wasnt that long ago. It just seems to me like its been forever. But sitting in a jail cell I was thinking "I've destroyed myself. How did this happend, what did I do. How can I go on and look at myself in the mirror." things like that. the whole time I was in their (just 21 hours but felt like an eternity) I was glued to a carving on the wall. "Surrender to God. He loves you" I began to pray, and pray the whole time I was their. Gave my heart to Christ and have been trying to live for Him but me thinking that I've done something unforgivable is holding me back.
holding you back from what?

something God taught me, is that my life is not about me but about HIM and His will for my life. Its not about how I feel or how I see myself but how God sees me.

If you truly believe God loves you and has forgiven you, do you think you are more just or righteous than God that you are able to condemn yourself for your actions?

I don't think you should forget what you have done. how far you have fallen and how sinful your heart can be. However I think you should know that GOD is able to reach down that pit of despair you have dug for yourself and give you a NEW heart that is repulsed by the person you once were. A NEW Spirit that leads you to still waters and teaches you precept by precept God's will and writes His laws in your heart.

I suggest reading your Bible and praying and learning wisdom so that you don't get tempted and fall into the snares of the world.

Right now you have the seed, will you make your heart good ground so that it can grow? will you dig your roots deep into His Word and learn His truth? Will you walk with the Holy Spirit and bear the fruits of love, joy, peace, kindness, goodness and self control?

Don't place yourself in situations where you are alone around small children. Just a suggestion. Don't tempt your flesh in that manner. It is a mental stronghold that eventually you will have torn down and destroyed but with many things it takes time and you must learn to resist temptation and overcome.

Whether you are able to forgive yourself is besides the point. Its rather you believe God's promises and in His forgiveness. Its about Faith in God, not yourself.

Do you truly know what it means to be a New creation in Christ?

Can you say these words and mean it with your whole body and soul?

Galatians 2:20
I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.

J

JessW

Yes. Jesus died for our sins. If you've asked to be forgiven, you are.

He says "Go and sin no more."

He is a merciful God!