Can suicide be forgiven?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
The believer that commits suicide is mentally unbalanced, for whatever reason. It probably has nothing to do with whether they trust in Christ... when they reach that point, they are not in their right mind. Does God send mentally disturbed people to Hell?
That is not always true. Some people just can't handle whatever they are facing in life and just want to get out of it and suicide is their escape, so they think. Most unbelievers commit suicide because they think that the are just going to cease to exist. And once they commit that act, they unfortunately find out the real truth, which is that their spirit will just depart from the body and go to their respective places.

My point in all of this has been that, I would not put any stock in one who claims to be in Christ but commits suicide as being safe. As I said, we don't know how God is going to treat that. And if a believer were to commit suicide and find himself in Hades, there are no do overs, no finger pointing and no one to take your complaint to.

We are saved by grace through faith. Not a one time confession of faith, but faith from first to last. What we do know is, suicide is murder and it is not of faith.

Mar 12, 2019
Few people who committed (or tried to commit) suicide in the bible.

Samson the saint, killed himself along with the Philistines - judges 16.30.
Saul the king tried to commit suicide - 1Sam 31.4.
Judas hanged himself - matt 27.5.

LW97

Apr 10, 2018
Agreed! However, scripture also does not say that those who commit suicide will not end up in hell.

I look at it this way: as believers in Christ, we are called to take up our crosses daily, which means that we are to keep our testimony of Jesus and the word of God regardless of whether God allows us to be persecuted or even put to death. That said, committing suicide is an attempt to escape whatever issues are confronting an individual. Every other trial and tribulation would therefore be less. Suicide would be an abandonment of faith.

The bottom line is, why would anyone want to test God on that? Because, if one who commits suicide does end up on hell, then there is nothing they can do to change that and no one to complain about it to.

The majority of unbelievers who commit suicide do so because they believe that once they die, they become non-existent, fade to black. But according to the word of God, we know that this is not the truth. For those who die in Christ, their spirit departs and goes to be in the presence of the Lord. In opposition, when the unfaithful die, their spirits depart and go down into Sheol/Hades to begin their punishment in torment in flame, where they will remain until the great white throne judgment.

In conclusion, I would advise that there is the possibility of going to hell if one commits suicide and that because, as you said, we have no direct teaching on this issue. And you know what they say about assumption.

The believer who commits suicide is not trusting in Christ. And it is murder. The Lord certainly isn't going to say "Well done good and faithful servant."
Correct, but if we tell on a Christian's funeral (of course only in case of suicide) to his loved ones that he was 100 %ly in hell, then there is a danger that it will make them turn against God. The truth is that we don't know.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Agree. We don't know what was in their heads. We cannot judge.

Dec 12, 2013
I think that the Bible is not clear enough on this issue. All effort should be made to prevent suicide and we should never advise a potential suicider that they will not go to hell. Saying that suicide victims are in eternal hell is unwise as it has the potential to dishonour God's name and may well steer people away from Him.
Samson prayed for his strength back so he could....

A. Kill himself
B. Get vengeance on his enemies

God granted his request and he makes the 11th chapter of HEBREWS as a man of faith.

Mar 12, 2019
If suicide is encouraged, then it may make people to think of the following.

* Commit all sins entire life.
* Repent on the last day (as one of the thief crucified with Jesus).
* Then commit suicide.
* You may go to heaven.

So, it should be discouraged.

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
Some thoughts...

If Jesus died for us, is it right then to then die for ourselves?

On the other hand, who are we to judge the pain of another?

Those who say "those who commit suicide are selfish and not thinking of others" are selfish in themselves and probably part of the problem.

And where do we draw the line? Is one who slits his wrist any worse than one who eats garbage knowing garbage kills (suicide by diet)?

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
One of those reoccurring questions:

My thoughts turn to: How does one ask for forgiveness for committing suicide?

We are to ask for forgiveness of our sins. Now, if one does not consider suicide a sin, then I guess they have no issue with having to ask for forgiveness.

It's a hard subject to address because the reasons for such a drastic act are far too complex to completely understand the reason(s) for each individual who contemplates/carries out the act of suicide. Can we really know their reason(s) for doing so?

Nov 26, 2012
I think the question is bigger still. If Christianity is living for Christ then how does suicide even enter in the equation? Now, is it those who are mentally ill kill themselves or do we just consider those who kill themselves mentally ill? Sure there is chemical imbalance, but what causes this? What comes first? Does not trusting in the Almighty cause depression or depression cause you not to trust in God. Neither situation has faith in God, so are these individuals even saved? Think of Joseph or Job or David. Certainly these individuals faced hardships bringing them to the darkest parts of themselves, but they made it through the other side of their pain. Life is all ups and downs. The test of your faith isn’t when things are going good, it’s when they all fall apart. His power is made perfect in weakness, not in suicide.

The whole premise of Christianity is that He forgives us and returns us to Himself so we live for Him. Then at the resurrection He rewards our living sacrifice with a new incorruptible vessel. Killing oneself is breaking the “contract”. However, if a Christian truly wants to cut short this life, I suggest going to evangelize in hostile territory. There are many radical Muslims who would be more than happy to assist your martyrdom.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Well God knows that persons motives.
I recall a colleague that killed himself, left behind a family, wife and children. Maybe he did it for insurance purposes, I dont know. He was a professed christian, and had done missionary work. When he came back from the mission he couldnt find secure work and was working as a temp. He was also working as church accountant apparently. No doubt he had a mental illness of some sort, but the Bible does say a doubleminded man is unstable in all his ways, and they wont receive anything from God.

Why didnt he choose to live? Surely no suffering and pain can compare to what Jesus went through on the cross, and He wasnt even suffering for his own choices, he was dying for mankinds wrong choice (sins).

Remember Jesus was tempted with suicide by satan in the wilderness, who told him to throw himself off a tall building. I think satan can get into peoples ears and tempt them, by saying lies such as

Do this and it wont hurt anyone else
Your life doesnt matter
You can go be with your loved ones whove died - this one certainly I have heard from Those whove attempted.

As far as being forgiven, what do you mean i think you can forgive a dead person, you kind of have to, i think of all those families affected by suicide, how do they move on if they cant forgive the person who commited suicide? As for that person, who suicided, they need to face up to God on judgemnt day and maybe explain why they cut their own lives short.

The only unforgiveable sin is the blasphemy against the holy spirit.