Can't talk to wife about intimacy issues

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
P

pzsl3j

I have posted on her before that my wife and I have intimacy issues. But here I just wanted to express my frustration with just not being able to ever communicate about these issues without it turning into a fight.

We are both in late 30's, both previously married and on our second marriage. Both of us had unfaithful spouses whom we divorced. We are both Christians and we were both attending and involved in our churches before we met. We dated for a year and then we got married. So we have been married about 2 1/2 years and we have known each other for almost 4 years.

I have my kids every other weekend, so its not as though we don't have alone time together - we do.

My wife has had a lot of health issues since we have been married, from heart issues to gastro intestinal issues.

I think that should be enough as a background. My wife by her own admission to me and in counseling we have had in the past - can be a moody and critical person. She acknowledges that am the one that is more postiive more often - but she says thats just because I let things run off my back and she doesnt.

Every time we talk about issues about intimacy, no matter how softly I try to speak or bring it up...she breaks down crying or gets angry or some combination of two - she will say things like "if I am such a horrible wife why do you stay with me" - note - I have never ever said she was a horrible wife and try to praise her for all the areas she is great in.

I try to tell her that it is possible to love someone and want to be with them, but be unsatsified in a certain area and need a little more.

I will say that she had made some progress - we used to make love 3 times a week when we were first married and then after the first year it went down to about 3 to 4 time a month. Even on those 3 to 4 times a month there was rarely any foreplay and I oral became a semi-annual thing.

I started a conversation by asking her what romantic things I have done in past that she would like more of, and admiting I had fallen off the wagon a bit in the romance area - she said I was fine and started crying. She said "this is really about me is'nt it? you are still not satifisfied with our sex life are you?" to that I replied I just wanted to do more for her, to try and put her in the mood better. She said it has nothing to do with putting her in the mood, that she is fine and that I should be fine with things as they are.

She said she knows there are some things I would like and someday she wants to be able to try and do them, but she is most distressed by the fact that every few months I bring this up. I told her I struggle as a man and I was sharing my feelings and issues I struggle with.

I am beside myself - I don't know what to do - I love her and I am Christian and I believe in commitment in marriage. And for those of you who will say have I tried to playfully and postively suggest different things - I have done so - ad nausem..to no avail.

Ok girls - nail me to wall.

damombomb

Feb 27, 2011
Seems like she may have self esteem issues. Do you compliment her? Are you passionate all the time or just sometimes?

P

pzsl3j

Seems like she may have self esteem issues. Do you compliment her? Are you passionate all the time or just sometimes?
I do compliment her and I tell how beautiful she is to me all the time. She rips on her body all the time -because she lost a lot of weight from gastric bypass but has some loose skin some areas - when she rips on herself - I tell her she still beautiful to me.

She even takes me clothes shopping with her many times because I tell her how nice she looks in certain outfits.

She has personal space issues - so I can't always sit with her - sometimes its ok and other times it is not.

I am not saying I am perfect in this area - but I do truly try. I told her - please tell me where I can do better so know what to strive for - she says I am fine and she is content with how I am and I should be content with how she is.

B

Becky216

Have you tried Praying for her to view herself as God and you view her? You can also pray that the Lord Unites your Intimacy with your wife....You have done all you can do, but only God can draw her closer to you...Because she is so unsure about herself...it also caused her to have a hard heart towards you and how you view her...because she doesn't understand how you and God can accept her the way she is....when she can't even accept herself...Makes sense?

C

CoreyMBailey

It sounds like there's nothing necessarily wrong with you but seems that she is not confident with herself or something when it comes to intimacy. Just a thought...maybe there's something that's been regressed from her first marriage that she can't seem to get over or fix. Have you talked to her about her first marriage and how her ex treated her. She just may simply not be confident thinking that one day she could be cheated on again (not to say that you would), but maybe there' something a little deeper to her intimacy issues than meets the eye.

P

pzsl3j

It sounds like there's nothing necessarily wrong with you but seems that she is not confident with herself or something when it comes to intimacy. Just a thought...maybe there's something that's been regressed from her first marriage that she can't seem to get over or fix. Have you talked to her about her first marriage and how her ex treated her. She just may simply not be confident thinking that one day she could be cheated on again (not to say that you would), but maybe there' something a little deeper to her intimacy issues than meets the eye.

I have tried to get her to open up about her first marriage, and I think she has to limited extent. But I think there are some buried things there two - that maybe only a one on one with therapist could help. Trying to get her to see one - but she is a stubborn self-sufficient kind of person.

When were first married our love making was awsome and I had no complaints...then it all changed about 6 or 8 months in and was never the same. So I know its not a matter of her not being able to do more, its just something is holding her back. She says when were first married everything was new to her and thats why it was so great - then after the newness wore off she went back to her normal drive - which in her own words is "next to no sex drive". She said that is just the way she is.

She told me often times when we do something she has no drive to do it...she only does it because she loves me - and she says that should be good enough.

Oct 31, 2011
I would like you to think about that she is an individual with some differences from every other person ever created, even though she also has much in common with all others.

I am a woman, so I only know that most women look at the spirit of love more than at the sex expression of it. Men, as a general rule, are more physical. Her needs and yours are different, and that is just how it is. How the two of you can bridge this difference is the question.

My husband and I have twice sat as unemotional help with problems for couples. When they had emotions get in the middle of solving, with hurts or anger, etc. making it impossible for them to talk it out quietly, we would help them calmly communicate. Sometimes it meant helping them keep to the calm realness of the problem instead of a simple expression of an emotion., for instance. We had to focus on keeping our ideas of their problem or their solution out of it, but only on helping with communication. We would do this only with the understanding by all four of us that we were not to advise or interfere with them in any way, we were only there to help with their private communication. We were also required to never speak of their personal problem again. They had to trust us, and we had to keep to our promise.

Perhaps you could hire that done?

J

jkalyna

I would like you to think about that she is an individual with some differences from every other person ever created, even though she also has much in common with all others.

I am a woman, so I only know that most women look at the spirit of love more than at the sex expression of it. Men, as a general rule, are more physical. Her needs and yours are different, and that is just how it is. How the two of you can bridge this difference is the question.

My husband and I have twice sat as unemotional help with problems for couples. When they had emotions get in the middle of solving, with hurts or anger, etc. making it impossible for them to talk it out quietly, we would help them calmly communicate. Sometimes it meant helping them keep to the calm realness of the problem instead of a simple expression of an emotion., for instance. We had to focus on keeping our ideas of their problem or their solution out of it, but only on helping with communication. We would do this only with the understanding by all four of us that we were not to advise or interfere with them in any way, we were only there to help with their private communication. We were also required to never speak of their personal problem again. They had to trust us, and we had to keep to our promise.

Perhaps you could hire that done?
:) THANKK YOU REDTENT IT IS REALLY GOOD TO HAVE MATURE ADVICE. STAY WELL AND STICK AROUND.

A

Ariel82

if I'm sick, I don't feel romantic and get mad easily. you mentioned her health issues it may be more physical limitations then social, mental or emotional. i would suggest her talking to her doctor to see if she's physically well or if it causes her physical pain.

hard to think romantically when your fighting just to breathe or worried your heart will stop beating, at least it is for me

S

shirley

WELL LIKE EVERYONE ELSE SAYS MAYBE SHE HAS ISSUES FROM HER FIRST MARRIAGE HER HUSBAND DIDNT TREAT HER RIGHT HE CHEATED ON HER AND MAYBE SHE HAS TRUST ISSUES AND MAYBE her first husband mentally abused her ill pray for you n her i have the same problem wth my husband it makes me feel unwanted thats me never mind me i pray your marriage problems are resolved have patience ok love her all you can i know your doing that now send her flowers n cards just because or take out somewhere romance her maybe bring back the memoris when you first met im only making suggestions i hope not offening you well ill keep you both in prayer ok gbu both may you both have the peace n joy you both deserve

N

Neal

I have heard of families with issues with children distancing themselves. The reason, I am not sure. I have issues with my children, but never to that extent until May. My youngest son has decided not to speak to me via phone or in person. He will answer a Happy 4th wish. I try not to let this bother me, but I have been extremely good to him. He is always needing money, borrow car, washing clothes. Now that I have been out of work and sick he decides to do this number. My oldest son has been great and I vented to him yesterday. I know I need to pray and let it go, but I want to retaliate and stop paying for his insurance, stop paying for his daughters phone and take down his pictures from the house. I am hurt and I need to get some sort of closure to this.

Oct 31, 2011
Neal; ]I have heard of families with issues with children distancing themselves. The reason, I am not sure. I have issues with my children, but never to that extent until May. My youngest son has decided not to speak to me via phone or in person. He will answer a Happy 4th wish. I try not to let this bother me, but I have been extremely good to him. He is always needing money, borrow car, washing clothes. Now that I have been out of work and sick he decides to do this number. My oldest son has been great and I vented to him yesterday. I know I need to pray and let it go, but I want to retaliate and stop paying for his insurance, stop paying for his daughters phone and take down his pictures from the house. I am hurt and I need to get some sort of closure to this.
Don’tfeel alone in this! My son who I just gave $18,000 to has decided, when I got sick, to not speak to me anymore. (I am elderly, on a very limited income, gave him savings I needed badly) His children were taught to keep their distance from me, although we are all sincerely Christian and taught to love.

I hear of many others who face this problem. I feel sure it is part of the work Satan is doing in preparation for Christ’s return. The breakup of marriage as a woman/man, permanent pledge between two, the breakup of the family as a basic unit in our land, the prevalence of drugs, etc., all are part of the same thing.

If there is something you can do that would help your situation, it is up to you to do it. I haven’t found anything to help, but your hurt feelings or anger is only part of Satan’s work. After you have done all you can, it is best to let God handle the rest.

I don’t think that it is within God’s ways to keep on helping. That is only encouraging wrong behavior. When God forgives, God also lets us pay in this world for the wrong we have done The story of David is an example of this. We are to copy God’s ways. But to stop helping as punishment, to get even, or in anger would make you as wrong as your son is. God’s ways are always based on love. You gave as an expression of love, he asked that this be stopped. So stop it, but don’t stop the love, and keep his picture up to express your love for him.

A

Ariel82

when you give love or money do you expect repayment?

that's as the world loves. Jesus told us to love even if we get slapped in return.

however even God established boundaries. giving money upon demand is not always loving... sometimes saying No and tough love is better.

I'd rather my kids do without and learn respect and responsiblity then have material things... godly values is worth so much more then money and time spent with love ones is priceless and should never be bought or bartered...

I make my kids decide do they want a sparkly new toy or an afternoon with mom, if they choose the toy i ignore them until they realize what a poor choice that really is...it works with a 4 and 6 year old.

then they get to help feed the homeless and visit the elderly and I tell them to think about how these people live and feel and think of ways to show God's love to them.

it helps to think beyond ourselves and love others no matter how yje world treats u.

i ask myself, are you hanging on a cross bleeding for the sins of the ones who placed you there because of love?

the answer is "no but His Holy spirit lives within me and if God is with me I can overcome anything"

Lucy68

Jan 21, 2011
(looks like some posts from another thread got put on this one ?)

LOL, nail you to the wall? You sound normal to me.

I don't think you should feel guilty about struggling with this. Sex is not the most important part of a marriage, but it is, still, a very important part.

Even Paul stated somewhere in the NT that a spouse should not withhold sex from the other unless it is a mutual decision.

I realized the importance of the sexual relationship when my children were toddlers and I was just plain tired all the time and my husband actually came to me in tears about our sex life...or lack thereof. Poor guy....he hardly ever cries so I realized that this was very important to him.

I admire the gentle way you have tried to talk to her. Has your counselor talked to her about this? It really is something that needs to be dealt for both of your sakes.

I agree with the other posters about her lack of self-esteem. If she is unhappy with her body, she will not feel 'sexy' and it will be hard for her to be interested...no matter how much you try to convince her otherwise. She sounds very unhappy with herself.

There can be physical reasons why she has low libido...I think thyroid problems can cause it. Has she talked to a physician? Or medications can cause this....especially anti-depressants. Is she on a medication?

Praying for you to keep up the loving support that you are showing her and that she will try to understand what is going on and seek help.

A

answers

I am curious, if this is not too personal, why you are unsatisfied? The reason why I am asking is because at one point my husband wasn't happy because of I lacked enthusiasm, not the quantity. Is it just the quantity? Because if it is just that ask her to allow you to have your way with her, I mean if she doesn't have to be emotionally connected she might go for it more often. That worked for me during my downer time. It was only a short time fix, but it worked enough for me to regroup myself. Does she have a woman she can talk to about her sexual blah? I always wished I had someone to vent to, bounce ideas off, and so on.

For me, I am someone that mentally breaks down all details and works to improve them, problem is when something gets stuck the way it is, maybe because it is out of my control, I begin to feel exhausted. Maybe she needs some sort of checkout?

I am also wondering, has she expressed any needs from you? They may be sexual or not at all. I know I get low sexually when my husband isn't upbeat. The more he puts in with his communication pattern, and activity level the more playful I want to be. Just food for thought!