Catholics & Protestants - Part 1 Blog

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

KBond

Senior Member
Jun 5, 2013
662
21
18


​

John 13:34 states, A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.


We may not agree with everything other Christians say or do, but I hope we can agree on this basic definition of a Christian.

A Christian is someone who believes:

  • Jesus is their Savior.
  • Jesus is the Son of God.
  • Jesus died. His blood paid for the sins of mankind.
  • Jesus rose from the dead.

Once we have isolated who is a Christian, we could further organize them by details of their belief system. The next blog series will focus on two groups of Christians: Catholics and Protestants.

If someone calls themselves a Catholic, it is implied that they follow the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church. They have usually been baptized, confirmed, and received the Eucharist in a Catholic Church.

A Protestant is any non-Catholic Christian. This includes all denominations (and non-denominational) like Baptist, Charismatic, Methodist, Lutheran, Presbyterian, etc.

The two groups have inspired a great deal of curiosity by both Christians and non-Christians. This blog series seeks to investigate the similarities and differences between Catholics and Protestants. It does not seek to persuade, promote, or discredit either side. Comments are always welcome, but please be considerate to all as you express your experiences and opinions.

Lord, we invite you into our thoughts and attitudes about our brothers and sisters in Christ. Help us to love one another as You have loved us. In Christ's Name, Amen.

 
2 Corinthians 5:14 KJV
[14] For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead:

JESUS also said because I live you shall live also... What has this got to do with this blog you might ask? Don't know....
 
Isn't ANY christian non-catholic?

Maybe we could consider catholics christians because they believe

  • Jesus is their Savior.
  • Jesus is the Son of God.
  • Jesus died. His blood paid for the sins of mankind.
  • Jesus rose from the dead.

... but it's because of their EXTRA traditions they can't be. (Mark 7:8)
Gotta look at the big picture.



 
The more I cope with one of my Catholic friends he insists "he´s right and I´m wrong" (a thing I don´t care).

The more I know who I am the more I know I need God and His salvation (the Lord Jesus).

Let´s see what happens when I die.
 
EVERBODY IS EXCEPTED

I being born and raised in south Louisiana was as a baby cristined (don't know if I spelled that right) a Roman Catholic. What am I now? A follower of Christ Jesus A servant and slave unto my Lord and joyfully so. Through my life I have experienced several different religions such as Baptist,Catholic,Assembly of God,Full Gospel. Yes I church hopped,but it was in Gods plan. What I've learned from each religion I've joined is that each seems to think theirs is correct. Who is Paul or who is Apolos? Was Paul crucified for you? Is Christ divided? We are members of one another. We are all indidually or collectively the Body of Christ. Time to put these silly little religions down. Honestly if you ask my religion I am nondenominational. I love the Lord Jesus and serve him. I love my neighbor as myself. When I say my neighbor I mean EVERBODY! Straight ,Gay, Drug addict , Homeless, Rich,Poor,Black or White,Mexican,and whatever else there is named and labeled. Hey, like my Lord has taught me I love you and accept you and welcome you with open arms and a sincere heart without judging or condemning you.
 
Didymos, I think Catholics are Christians, but I respect your opinion and appreciate your comment. Stay blessed! ;)
 
KBond;bt13763 said:
Didymos, I think Catholics are Christians, but I respect your opinion and appreciate your comment. Stay blessed! ;)

Several of them think we´re not Christian (same way Jews thought Jesus was nothing)
 
secularhermit;bt13767 said:
Several of them think we´re not Christian (same way Jews thought Jesus was nothing)

I know that's true too. However, Christians have formidable enemies in the present day. Of all times in history, I think NOW is the best time to put aside our differences and work together to build up the kingdom of God. Don't you agree?
 
LeoLion;bt13741 said:
EVERBODY IS EXCEPTED

Honestly if you ask my religion I am nondenominational. I love the Lord Jesus and serve him. I love my neighbor as myself. When I say my neighbor I mean EVERBODY! Straight ,Gay, Drug addict , Homeless, Rich,Poor,Black or White,Mexican,and whatever else there is named and labeled. Hey, like my Lord has taught me I love you and accept you and welcome you with open arms and a sincere heart without judging or condemning you.

Amen to that!