Christian Cursing: By Brother James Melton

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

ChosenbyHim

Sep 19, 2011
Christian Cursing

By James Melton

[TABLE="class: cms_table, width: 95%"]
[TR]
[TD]"But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned." (Mat. 12:36-37)[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[TABLE="class: cms_table, width: 95%"]
[TR]
[TD]
"In all things showing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine showing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity, Sound speech, that cannot be condemned; that he that is of the contrary part may be ashamed, having no evil thing to say of you." (Titus 2:7-8)

According to these verses of Scripture, we, as Christians, need to be very careful with our mouths because we will one day give account to God. Most Christians are aware of the fact that God expects them to live holy lives. Likewise, most God-fearing Christians have learned to abstain from swearing and from the use of common profanity. I haven't met many faithful Christians who have a problem with worldly cursing. However, I have met MANY Christians who have stumbled into the Devil's trap and taken up a whole different kind of cursing. Keep reading, friend, because you just might need to "tune up" your vocabulary!

Are You Taking God's Name in Vain?

You say, "Well, my word! I wouldn't take God's name in vain!" You just did! John 1:1 says that "the Word" was GOD! Satan tricked you, didn't he? You need to CONFESS to God that you've been taking His name in vain, and you need to REPENT of this sin!

"Well, my goodness!", you say. If you are saved then your "goodness" is none other than God Himself (Psalm 144:2). You just took His name in vain again. You have no goodness of your own (Isa. 64:6; Rom. 3:23; Psa. 39:5), so "my goodness" is a reference to God!

"Good grief! I had no idea!" There you go again! Jesus Christ was a man of sorrows and acquainted with GRIEF (Isa. 53:3). His grief was "good" grief because He bore your sins. You should show more reverence and respect for your Saviour and quit throwing God's word around too loosely.

"For crying out loud! Can't I say anything?" How about reading your Bible for a change?! Matthew 27:46 says that when your Saviour was suffering on the cross He "cried with a loud voice." What's your logic in using such speech? Could it be that Satan is just having a good laugh at your ignorance and disrespect of God's word?
"Well, geeeeeeee!" Did you say "G", as in "GOD"? Yes, you certainly did! You've also said "Gosh" and "Good Golly"! You've also said "Jeepers Creepers" when you really wanted to say "Jesus Christ" (JC!). You've also played around with the letters "G" and "D" together. You said "dad gum" and "dog gone" when you really wanted to say "God" and then follow with the word "damn". Think about it, Christian! Is God pleased with this kind of speech?

Those Four-Letter Words!

You probably wouldn't think of using the word "damn" too loosely, but what about "darn" and "dang"? Do they not serve the same purpose? Is Satan not pleased to fill your mouth with such speech?
"Why, heck!" Look out there! God knows your heart, and he knows you really wanted to say "hell".
Down south folks say, "Ah, shoot!" This is nothing more than a cheap way of saying "s " Again I ask, is God pleased with this sort of speech? Is this "sound speech, that cannot be condemned"? I think not!

Swear Not!

"But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne: Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King. Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black. But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil." (Mat. 5:34-37)

Jesus said "swear not," yet God's people swear all the time! Such expressions as "for Heaven's sake", "for Pete's sake", and "Heavens to Betsy" are attempts to swear by Bible subjects, which shows disrespect toward God. God's word is PURE and HOLY! We should HONOR His words, not throw them around like a dirty dish rag!

Truth Is All the Authority You Need

Why do people curse and swear? There's only one reason: authority. People want to sound forceful and authoritative when they speak, so they spice their speech up with all sorts of catchy little "power words". Unfortunately, such words often dishonor God, the Bible, and the Lord Jesus Christ. Friend, TRUTH is all of the authority you need. Just speak the truth as it is revealed in God's word and you'll have no use for "Christian cursing".

Remember: "But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment." (Mat. 12:36)[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Apr 21, 2012
hmmm when I say oh my gosh I mean oh my gosh the reason I said it was to avoid using his name in vain. would you prefer I say oh my buddha?

T

Tintin

We should be careful with our words but these examples are just silly.

Oct 7, 2011
In those examples, swearing refers to swearing an oath. But I agree one should watch one's language.

J

jerusalem

i had to look this one up.....matt.3:7 john the baptist clls the phrisees and sadducees 'you sons of vipers'

M

Moetown

Jeepers Creepers = Jesus Christ? Can you say "streeeeeetchhhhhhh"

It is a 1938 song made for a movie centered around a horse named Jeepers Creepers who was wild, easily startled, and needed a gentle hand to be trained.

Lets stop this legalism, creating extra-biblical law to extremes. We have been freed from anything close to this kind of nonsense. Why give yourself a new law when He freed us from the old law.

Is it so difficult to operate in the freedoms granted us in Christ, that you must make up as much law as possible out of a spirit of fear of doing something against God. "For God did not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of self-control.

Is that not the silly shackles we are encourage to stay away form?
Remember this one: "They (the Pharisees)tie up heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on people's shoulders."

Galatians 5:1
[SUP]1[/SUP] It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.

And what does Jesus say of His yoke:

For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.

Galatians 5:13-14

[SUP]13[/SUP] You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another humbly in love. [SUP]14[/SUP] For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: "Love your neighbor as yourself."

So lets not burden ourselves like this. God made it much simpler, see verse 14.

M

Moetown

There is a song by Derek Webb called "A New Law" that covers this issue quite well:

Don't teach me about politics and government
Just tell me who to vote for
Don't teach me about truth and beauty
Just label my music

Don't teach me how to live like a free man
Just give me a new law

I don't wanna know if the answers aren't easy
So just bring it down from the mountain to me

I want a new law
I want a new law
Gimme that new law

Don't teach me about moderation and liberty
I prefer a shot of grape juice

Don't teach me about loving my enemies

Don't teach me how to listen to the Spirit
Just give me a new law

What's the use in trading a law you can never keep
For one you can that cannot get you anything
Do not be afraid​

Dotann

Jan 28, 2012
Everything i do and say stems from a motive from within. And God knows it. This motive i have comes from my inner being and as such when i say oh dear, or gracious, or goodness, or even oh sugar, God knows the motive of my heart and He also knows the manner and reason of why i said it.

The bible says that if we have done even one sin, its like we have done them all. James 2 10 - 12
[SUP]10 [/SUP]For the person who keeps all of the laws except one is as guilty as a person who has broken all of God’s laws. [SUP]11 [/SUP]For the same God who said, “You must not commit adultery,” also said, “You must not murder.”[SUP][a][/SUP] So if you murder someone but do not commit adultery, you have still broken the law.
[SUP]12 [/SUP]So whatever you say or whatever you do, remember that you will be judged by the law that sets you free.

There is another scripture to look at in James 3: 1 -2

[h=3]Controlling the Tongue[/h]3 Dear brothers and sisters,[SUP][a][/SUP] not many of you should become teachers in the church, for we who teach will be judged more strictly. [SUP]2 [/SUP]Indeed, we all make many mistakes. For if we could control our tongues, we would be perfect and could also control ourselves in every other way.

This is why unless God calls one to do these things, it will be a very long and troubling road ahead indeed unless God has paved the road and placed that person on that specific path. But God can do anything Amen!

God is a wonderful God! He knows all my faults and failures and He knew them all even before He called me and STILL took me anyways! Which is amazing and perplexing to me and i cant for the life of me ever figure it out! But He did and i am ever so glad for it! Ye He knew what He was getting when He picked me as i was no surprise to Him! Praise God for His mercy!

I am not worth it ever, but i know that only through His blood i am cleansed. See, its not through my own works and doing that i can stay that way, for on my own i am as faulty and worthless as they come. I need help! I need to yell HELP ME LORD JESUS while on my knees many times and I know He hears me. Some times even for the same thing as i fell for the same thing yet once again, like i cheated on my diet,, again... as a repeated offender :( ... But only due to grace... God forgives!

How many times must i forgive my brother? 7x70! Thank you Lord! = As many times as it takes.. Gods perfect number! Until i become perfect.. In my case,, eternity or until He comes back and blinks the eye for i am so far away from perfection... Thank you Jesus!

But i will NEVER stop trusting and knowing that my Savior is with me and He will never leave my side. Even when i know i fail.
I am 51 and have been a Christian now since 13, and He has taught me much over this time. The closer i have gotten with Him these past years, i have learned God shows and gives us wisdom and discernment when we have a relationship with him when we truly seek Him. During this time, when i have asked God to show me my failings to come up higher, and He has in many ways.
He has never convicted or chastised me not once in this manner about this specific topic on these words? He has about my tongue in many ways as this is my ministry as i serve Him in concerts, workshops, teaching, speaking and preaching and i feel its very important, so i try to keep a close eye on my words when in this manner, but an even closer eye on my heart. For out of the heart the mouth speaks. If i keep my heart in check, my mouth will follow, and my actions will follow from that too.. Am i perfect at it? Nope!
But i am a work in progress as 100 percent of us all are. I know we are all this way as we are all sinners saved by Grace....

When we get home, then perhaps we can maybe say that perfection is closer, but then again, its still only up to Jesus to declare... Just waiting for the twinkling of the eye thingy... What a day that will be for sure!!!

I for one cant wait!!!! Hot Dog! Beam me up Jesus!!! :)

onlinebuddy

Sep 1, 2012
Although we have our freedom as Christians, and our motives may be pure, I would still refrain from using words or exclamations that sound like (or rhyme with) swear words. None of us are perfect, but we need to watch our example.

BTW, is there any reason this question was put in the Indian Christian Forum?

ChosenbyHim

Sep 19, 2011
hmmm when I say oh my gosh I mean oh my gosh the reason I said it was to avoid using his name in vain. would you prefer I say oh my buddha?
Teuful_hunden, your practically saying the same thing. Gosh is a euphemism for God. It is simply a vague term for God. So you are still taking God's name in vain. And you have to remember, God's standards are always the highest standards.

We serve the Most High God. And so we will be judged by the highest standards.

Now there is obviously mercy and grace for those who do not know any better. Or who do not know that what they are doing is wrong. But once you do know and once you are made aware of it, and you continue to persist in that sin of the tongue. Well, that will just be another thing that you will have to give account for at the Judgment Seat of Christ.

ChosenbyHim

Sep 19, 2011
We should be careful with our words but these examples are just silly.

No they are not. These examples are correct. Brother James Melton shows from the Scriptures why Christians should not be using those terms loosely or irrelevantly.

And we are not to swear either. Neither by Heaven nor by the Earth. Our Lord Jesus Christ taught that we are to let our yea be yea and nay be nay.

But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne:

35 Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King.
36 Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black.
37 But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil. - Matthew 5:34-37 (King James Bible)

If you are still not convinced Tintin, then i suggest you go to the Lord in prayer in regard to this serious matter and issue.

Oct 7, 2011

No they are not. These examples are correct. Brother James Melton shows from the Scriptures why Christians should not be using those terms loosely or irrelevantly.

And we are not to swear either. Neither by Heaven nor by the Earth. Our Lord Jesus Christ taught that we are to let our yea be yea and nay be nay.

34 But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne:
35 Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King.
36 Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black.
37 But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil. - Matthew 5:34-37 (King James Bible)

If you are still not convinced Tintin, then i suggest you go to the Lord in prayer in regard to this serious matter and issue.

Once again, that is in reference to swearing an oath. Not swearing/cursing. Read the whole passage for context. And don't forget Verse 33. It never works to pluck a verse out of context and assign our own meaning.

NASB: 33 “Again, you have heard that the ancients were told, ‘You shall not make false vows, but shall fulfill your vows to the Lord.’ 34 But I say to you,make no oath at all, either by heaven, for it is the throne of God, 35 or by the earth, for it is the footstool of His feet, or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. 36 Nor shall you make an oath by your head, for you cannot make one hair white or black. 37 But let your statement be, ‘Yes, yes’ or‘No, no’; anything beyond these is of evil.
KJV:33 Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths:
34 But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne:

37 But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

ChosenbyHim

Sep 19, 2011
Once again, that is in reference to swearing an oath. Not swearing/cursing. Read the whole passage for context. And don't forget Verse 33. It never works to pluck a verse out of context and assign our own meaning.
Yes, that is correct Bridget. We are NOT TO SWEAR. We are to let our yea be yea and our nay be nay.

And by the way, we as Christians are to put away filthy communication also.

But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth. - Colossians 3:8 (King James Bible)

In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity,

8 Sound speech, that cannot be condemned; that he that is of the contrary part may be ashamed, having no evil thing to say of you. - Titus 2:7-8 (King James Bible)
[SUP]

So if you are cursing and using bad language, well then repent and change how you speak.

Because cursing and swearing is language that does not honour Christ. And it does not honour the Father.

[/SUP]
7 But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.
8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,
12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness. - 2 Peter 3:7-13 (King James Bible)
[SUP]
And we are not be idle with our speech.

[/SUP]
30 He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.
31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.
33 Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit.
34 O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.
35 A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.
36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned. - Matthew 12:30-37 (King James Bible)
[SUP]
We are not to use idle words, we are not to curse or swear. We need to be very careful with our words.

So if a Christian is constantly taking God's name in vain, well they need to stop doing that and they need to repent. Because they will answer for it at the Judgment Seat of Christ.
[/SUP]

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Although we have our freedom as Christians, and our motives may be pure, I would still refrain from using words or exclamations that sound like (or rhyme with) swear words. None of us are perfect, but we need to watch our example.

BTW, is there any reason this question was put in the Indian Christian Forum?
onlinebuddy,
I'm wondering the same thing.

Is there some particular reason this thread is on this board?