Christianity and Epistemology

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
So is my seeking knowledge of God futile?

of course not. but consider two things Christ said:

Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God,
and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.

(John 17:3)

Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children,
you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

(Matthew 18:3)

any "knowledge" requires some amount of faith. all logical systems begin with axiom. even a solipsist has to blindly trust that he himself exists. to even accept your own thinking, you have to trust that the internal consistency of your own reasoning is not illusory.

we know - because first, like children, we simply believed.
but He invited Thomas to put his finger in His side - keep waiting, and searching; He is faithful - trust, and wait for Him.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
I think what Jesus was meaning was, people who considered themselves worldly intelligent and thought through that intelligence they understood the scriptures, did not see the truth.
However, those who were not proud and did not believe through their own understanding/academic mind they could see the truth, people who simply trusted in simple, childlike faith would know the truth of the kingdom of heaven

yes! but not exclusively!

remember Simeon, in Luke 2 -- he read the scriptures, and believed, and waited and looked for Christ to come - and rejoiced to see Him. also in the same chapter, Anna, the old prophet, understood, and saw. but both of these were moved by the Spirit too -- no one comes to Him unless the Father draw them. because the truth of that statement, i'm personally convinced that no one can arrive at Christ through purely their own logic and reason. Even if the Father draws them through these things - and He can - it is still the drawing of the One who created the mind.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
by the way, a picture really can be worth 1,000 words.
thanks for this (i
Venn/Euler diagrams)! - if anyone is a bit "at sea" trying to swim through the OP, just skip to the quoted below, and it's clear what this thread is asking about.

here is a graphic to sum up my question. How can I (or "how did you") move from the blue into the yellow of this Euler diagram (assuming the proposition is "God, as described in the Bible, is real.")?

Untitled-2.jpg

Thanks!

Oct 21, 2015
So is my seeking knowledge of God futile? Are my prayer and Biblical studies wasted time because The Truth has not found me? So many members here seem to be gnostic in their claims of Christianity, and I simply want to understand why.

====================================================================

No, not futile at all, actually it is mandatory in order to have a two-way-relationship....
we are sure that you have found many Truths, it's the beginning.....

we have to study and pray, because we have to seek Him on His terms, and not ours...

it's different for each individual, Spiritual relationships are personal and unique...but,
knowing what is required of us is paramount....a life-long journey, if you will....

when our Father's Holiness touches us, we will have no more doubt, ups and downs, yes,
but the existence/reality of God and Christ, there can be no doubt.....
It is only futile to study if you seek spiritual knowledge by relying on the academic mind to learn. If you rely on the holy spirit in simple childlike faith to lead you into truth, whom Christ said would lead believers into all truth, wonderful, study much.
However, I would say dont study to the degree it consumes you and you have no time to do the work in your life God has called you to do.

Last edited:

JimmieD

Apr 11, 2014
1963 doesn't seem so long ago,.
1963...long ago to me.

It seems "Gettier Problems" can manifest in 2 different ways: Someone can have a "justified true belief" they perceive as knowledge, yet is not true. Or one can have a justified belief that is true, but not knowledge because it was derived from incorrect propositions.

Both of these cases can be easily reconciled with classical philosophy by defining knowledge as "justified true belief that does not depend on incorrect propositions." I have always taken this as implicit in the word "justified," but it seems to answer the semantic problem that Gettier asked.
The problem is that this doesn't actually solve the issue either. Your proposed solution is technically called "no false lemmas" and it doesn't really work.

The Analysis of Knowledge (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

The short of it is that whatever knowledge is, it isn't Justified True Belief or Justified True Belief with No False Premises.

But can solving this problem and redefining "knowledge" bring me any closer to gnostic Christianity?
I don't know. It seems you've just discovered there is a problem with your definition of knowledge, so I'm not sure where you go from here. But it seems that it might not do you any good to challenge people to give a justified true belief for a claim to knowledge, as you previously did on this thread, given that such a definition for knowledge is not correct.

C

crow_t_robot

The problem is that this doesn't actually solve the issue either. Your proposed solution is technically called "no false lemmas" and it doesn't really work.

The Analysis of Knowledge (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)
Actually, my revised definition does not fall victim to the "no false lemmas" situations.

Of course, people can be tricked into holding what they perceive as a "justified true belief" if they are making their justifications based on incorrect propositions, as is the case in both of the "no false lemmas" examples. The stated condition (iv) "S's belief that p is not inferred from any falsehood" is a strawman representation of my amended definition: "justified true belief that does not depend on incorrect propositions," (or rephrased: "S's knowledge that p is not inferred from any falsehood"). In both "no false lemmas" examples, S is using an unjustified, potentially-untrue belief to conclude p, and therefore, equating my statement to (iv) is a strawman fallacy.

Unfortunately, the "no false lemmas" scenarios fail to demonstrate any inconsistency in my definition. However, my adjustment to the definition of "knowledge" would lead to an infinite regression, similar to the biblical inerrancy claims that I mentioned earlier. So perhaps objective truth is not a component of "knowledge" and we should change our definition to "justified belief" or "perceived justified true belief" and admit that what we perceive as "truth" may in fact be untrue. How do you define knowledge? Is there a way to acquire knowledge (however you define it) of God through epistemic deductive reasoning?

The short of it is that whatever knowledge is, it isn't Justified True Belief or Justified True Belief with No False Premises.
Odd how you make assertions based your personal understanding of knowledge, while simultaneously neglecting to provide your own definition of "knowledge" (despite my inquiry: What definition do you use for knowledge? What is the framework of your epistemic reasoning, and how does it provide knowledge of Christianity?).

It seems you've just discovered there is a problem with your definition of knowledge, so I'm not sure where you go from here.
Simple. When presented with a reason to consider my definition was inadequate or wrong, I asked the person asserting that my definition was flawed something like: "What definition do you use for knowledge? What is the framework of your epistemic reasoning, and how does it provide knowledge of Christianity?" but apparently those answers are not readily available.

But it seems that it might not do you any good to challenge people to give a justified true belief for a claim to knowledge, as you previously did on this thread, given that such a definition for knowledge is not correct.
Actually, many modern logicians, theologians, philosophers, etc. still assert that "justified true belief" is a perfectly acceptable way to define and discuss "knowledge." Also, I haven't challenged anyone really, just asked how they have knowledge of God, and so far many of the responses have been enlightening. I've also learned that inquiry into epistemology is conduct unbecoming of a Christian. "Toe the line and don't ask questions. I won't answer them anyway." Yessir!

such a definition for knowledge is not correct.
Please demonstrate this by providing the correct definition of knowledge for me. Maybe it is "Perceived Justified true belief?" or "belief justified as true" or simply "Justified belief?" or something else entirely. I stated my definitions for the sake of clarity in communication, not as absolutely correct assertions. If you have more accurate definition then please share it with me to aid in my understanding.