Christianity and Politics

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

essokahill

Jan 20, 2004
Brothers and sisters in the Lord,I guess the title is kind of strange and hard to reconcile, especially to someone who wants to put a fine line on both.But the truth of the matter in all its facets is that, its hard to escape its pressures, whether chosing to be passive or active.Let me explain or break down what I mean.In nut shell, a Christian is a person who has identified his/her self with the redemptive works Jesus Christ accomplished on the cross JOHN 1:12-13,Romans 6:23.Again, one who is in the world but not of the world.But History has proven that when Christians totally stay free of polictics or affairs of their country,it becomes a breeding ground for the enemy to sow seeds of hatred in the minds of its rulars to persecute them in matters relating to laws and regulations.Guess who becomes the victim?I'm I saying that those whom God has placed in their heart to function in this secular fields, t shouldn't back down,they might be the only light shinning in a company of darkness eg Esther and the Jews,Joseph etc.
Please, feel free to comment on the subject,waiting for your contributions

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011
politics are annoying

T

TheGrungeDiva

History has proven that when Christians totally stay free of polictics or affairs of their country,it becomes a breeding ground for the enemy to sow seeds of hatred in the minds of its rulars to persecute them in matters relating to laws and regulations.
I agree with you. Further more, when Christians do become involved in politics, they are a driving force for good. For example, it was Christians who spoke out against slavery in the US first. And Christians who rebelled against their own institution for church abuses like indulgences.

Just because we know there's a better life out there for us all in the future, doesn't mean we shouldn't fight to make it a better life for everyone today.

A lot of anti-theists like to point to things like the crusades and say that Christians are evil when they become involved in politics, but I have to remind them that atheists have caused all manners of evil (communist revolutions, executions and forced abortions in China). I don't hold all atheists responsible for the actions of a few.

Thanks for your post. I hope it sparks some good discussion / friendly debate.

S

Steve4U

Yes, action in our world is only an act away.

Some may be waiting for a command or incentive from God, but we already have the command to action: go into all the world and make disciples, love one another.

Actual politics is a dirty business and would not like to be involved, (I think that would be a real calling) but there are many ways to be active in the affairs of the world, and I know many who are -- family first pressure group, disability action, adoption option, Christian recruitment to 'closed' countries, in addition to the love we express.

I have seen Christian politicians come under criticism from some Christians. I feel: who am I to judge another one's servant. I feel the only question a Chrstian politician need answer is: What is God is asking ME to do. Something we all need to ask ourselves.

essokahill

Jan 20, 2004
thats actually true,thanx for the great examples u did quote.
I agree with you. Further more, when Christians do become involved in politics, they are a driving force for good. For example, it was Christians who spoke out against slavery in the US first. And Christians who rebelled against their own institution for church abuses like indulgences.

Just because we know there's a better life out there for us all in the future, doesn't mean we shouldn't fight to make it a better life for everyone today.

A lot of anti-theists like to point to things like the crusades and say that Christians are evil when they become involved in politics, but I have to remind them that atheists have caused all manners of evil (communist revolutions, executions and forced abortions in China). I don't hold all atheists responsible for the actions of a few.

Thanks for your post. I hope it sparks some good discussion / friendly debate.

essokahill

Jan 20, 2004
Hi Steve,I agree with some of the things you said, but I somewhat feel that politics is not a dirty business.Why? Because I think politics in itself is nuetral.It is those who have been invested with political authority who can either display good or bad behaviour in light of their character,actions and expectations of those who put them in office (voters or population).

S

Steve4U

Thank you essokahill.

What I was thinking was how politics is so, well, political. It seems to me that for the promotion in public and in the 'halls of power' of even fine legislation a lot of forced smiling and calculation is required, perhaps flattery and compromise. I think many politicians have started out with pure ideals, but lost them in the process of politics over their years in office.

I was politically active when I was younger but decided the problems in the world are the heart of man, and a transformation of the inner man is required.

Still, as I say, I think it is a calling. And I would love to see a mighty, straight-speaking man of God like Martin Luther King 'at war'. If God is with a politician he would be powerful. But does God allow his appointed to become lambs of sacrifice before they are compromised by the system?