Christians and Politics

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

WordGaurdian

May 1, 2011
Ok, I know you are serious, so I am also going to be. Go and do it. It might very well be that God wants you there. It is not unbiblical to run for governor, just as little as it is to be a police officer or a postal worker or any other government institution. What is important wherever you go is to listen to the voice of God and obeying His commandments. And just like we need soldiers for a country, we also need people running in the political systems. People that show others that one can live a holy and blessed life by God without fear, but still lifting up God's name. If you keep to the ideals of God, there is absolutely nothing wrong with running for government. Take David. Who was appointed by God, not man to be a King. But God also appointed the generations after David.

Being a governor you can do a lot of good. But you can also allow the fears of others to dominate your will. If you want to do it, and you pray about it, then allow God to open the doors for you in it.

onlinebuddy

Sep 1, 2012
Is there any reason why a Christian should not run for political office? I've been exploring the possibility of running for Governor of Pennsylvania. Since then, several have told me that Christians should not run for political office. There were several reasons. They gave what was on the surface Biblical reasons. The biggest reason was that Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world." If we are in the kingdom of Christ, we should concern ourselves with the kingdoms of this world.

What say you?
Whether to run for a political position or not must be entirely your decision. For most, the answer would be a No, but for some the answer may be a yes.

However, there are a few things you might want to keep in mind:
>The Bible never encourages us to get involved in politics.

> Politics is a power game. On the other hand Christians must decrease so that Christ may increase. That's the only way to glorify God.

> In the past the combination of religion and politics (Church & State) has always watered down the principals of Christ.

> Political decisions can go against the Bible.

> Corruption and improper use of money is involved

> Although we are told to submit to authority and pay our taxes, the Bible does not seem to particularly favor political rulers (or political kingdoms). They seem like the enemies of God. God's kingdom will triumph over the political system.
For Eg:
>>>The statue in Daniel...Jesus crushes it.
>>>In certain interpretations of Revelation (if these are to be believed), political kingdoms are synonymous with horns and beasts
>>>The Antichrist would be a political ruler (???)
>>>The alliance of a political system and a religious system would be God's final enemy.(not sure though)

Now, before I begin to sound too weird, let me say two things:
1) Best Wishes
2) Take Care

C

CDavid

I believe, with very few exceptions, most people in public office throughout the history of our country, and still today are Christian, or profess to be. Christians have had a long history of public service in the US. As far as I am aware, except for possibly our current president, all of our presidents have been Christians.

TomL

Banned
Feb 26, 2013
I believe, with very few exceptions, most people in public office throughout the history of our country, and still today are Christian, or profess to be. Christians have had a long history of public service in the US. As far as I am aware, except for possibly our current president, all of our presidents have been Christians.
Even our current President claims to be a Christian.

TomL

Banned
Feb 26, 2013
If that's it, I see no reason for Christians to not run for political office. Thanks for the discussion.

I fully understand that we are part of a kingdom not of this world. But, we are also in the flesh, and there are rules for the way we should behave in the flesh. Of those rules, I have seen none that indicate that while in the flesh Christians are not to be a part of the governments of this world.

N

Nancyer

I'm going back to some older posts, and wondered TomL how you are doing in the political arena? Made any strides or decisions in this? Just curious and praying your heart takes you where God truly wants you to be.

In Jesus' name,

Mar 18, 2009
Here's a really good message about this subject.

[video=youtube;PFM4bTAhBQM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFM4bTAhBQM[/video]

Dec 19, 2009
Is there any reason why a Christian should not run for political office? I've been exploring the possibility of running for Governor of Pennsylvania. Since then, several have told me that Christians should not run for political office. There were several reasons. They gave what was on the surface Biblical reasons. The biggest reason was that Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world." If we are in the kingdom of Christ, we should concern ourselves with the kingdoms of this world.

What say you?
I see no reason a Christian shouldn't run for political office. However, a lot of people run for political office, not because they are good candidates, but because they have big egos.