Church jobs

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
huh
well church isnt meant to be a bootcamp.
Although the Salvation Army is run that way I suppose. Plus they have uniforms.

If you are part of a temporary church thats held in a rented/hired space there's always the job of packing up the chairs at the end.

If you really want a PAID church job you need to put your hand up to clean the toilets and do the vaccuming.
I think if I didnt already had a job and needed the money, I would do it. I think you will get blessed more if you do that job that nobody else wants to do.

Sep 14, 2021
Many people in our churches work behind the scenes and are often forgotten. The cleaners, landscapers, decorators. In smaller churches, often the pastor and family are doing most of the tasks behind the scenes.
I belong to a small independent Baptist church. Very traditional in terms of singing hymns and choruses during worship. My favorite activity each week, is singing in the choir. The pastor and I are the bass section.
Sometimes seems the church is dying as a few large families have left the church and only a few children left.
What is interesting, is that I considered that I may need to leave the church as well as perhaps God was leading me elsewhere. But began praying about it to be ensure of God's leading and not my leaving on my own accord. Suddenly, I am asked to lead Sunday evening worship, be in a church quartet and also lead the bible study and prayer next week. Has been over 30 years since I have prepared a bible study more than a half hour long.
Before attending Bible College, I was part of the College & Career planning committee and was responsible for leading bible studies each week. After Bible College, pastored a small country church for 4 years, taught Sunday School from small children to older adults( ages 8-9 boys was the most rewarding), sung in church choirs, was a church janitor, nursery worker, and so much more. If there was something to do in a church, I have done it at some point in life.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I think my most favourite job of all is reading - doing the reading out loud of scripture.

When first do it you are nervous cos everyone seeme like they are looking at you. But actually they are not. They arent looking at you....they are listening to you speak Gods words. Such an important ministry. Plus you cant stuff that up - you are reading, not saying your own words. Just need to speak clearly.

in the Bible it does say we if we are to covet its to covet the spiritual gift - prophecy. When we read the Bible out loud its prophesying. Thats the first thing Jesus did in the synagogue when he read the passage of Isaiah.

I think everyone should have a turn reading scripture...not just males, females and any age. Just as long as they can read.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
huh
well church isnt meant to be a bootcamp.
Although the Salvation Army is run that way I suppose. Plus they have uniforms.

If you are part of a temporary church thats held in a rented/hired space there's always the job of packing up the chairs at the end.

If you really want a PAID church job you need to put your hand up to clean the toilets and do the vaccuming.
I think if I didnt already had a job and needed the money, I would do it. I think you will get blessed more if you do that job that nobody else wants to do.
Once, I needed extra money, I went into a dirty gas station and cleaned it up. I was paid well, and the owner took my number to send me to his other stations and to WCHB radio Station where I became the voice of Wolf Man. This was the real wolfman https://spinditty.com/artists-bands/Wolfman-Jack I just sounded like him and did a great imitation.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Once, I needed extra money, I went into a dirty gas station and cleaned it up. I was paid well, and the owner took my number to send me to his other stations and to WCHB radio Station where I became the voice of Wolf Man. This was the real wolfman https://spinditty.com/artists-bands/Wolfman-Jack I just sounded like him and did a great imitation.
wow never knew
Yes gets all sorts of crazy peeps on the radio

Church DJ is one job I've never done though as the people in charge of the sound system are quite territorial...

Though I dont think its occured to some churches that its easy to set up a radio signal or podcast. Most are still trying to figure out how to work Facebook or youtube lol.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Who was the guy Robin Williams played on Good morning Vietnam?
I think it was based on a true story.

I recall one of the members in church owned a christian radio. Called Radio Rhema.
It was originally on AM band and then branched out to FM band and called themselves LIFE fm.

The only thing I dont like is that most radio has too many commercials, so I dont listen to it, even christian radio would have ads. I tend to listen to radio on demand..then I can choose what programs to listen to and when, without any ads.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
Who was the guy Robin Williams played on Good morning Vietnam?
I think it was based on a true story.

I recall one of the members in church owned a christian radio. Called Radio Rhema.
It was originally on AM band and then branched out to FM band and called themselves LIFE fm.

The only thing I dont like is that most radio has too many commercials, so I dont listen to it, even christian radio would have ads. I tend to listen to radio on demand..then I can choose what programs to listen to and when, without any ads.
Do you know if Christian Radio does youtube? My wife likes Barn45.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Church had a new kitchen put in a year ago it definitely made it easier to serve. I have worked in some poky kitchens. My jobs have been cutting up veges, loading the dishwasher, and sorting the cutlery.

If there are TOO many people in the kitchen though, it gets chaotic.

You need to be careful when there is knives and fire involved! I find working with others you need to respect peoples personal space. Also some people are extremely territorial about their jobs. They might also not even let you help them because they feel only they can do that job. (the right way- their way!) And they dont want to teach or train you.
When there's a complete kitchen in a church I'm in charge...
I'm good at it. I was a professional chef for years. And they let me do my thing. I know exactly how to run a brigade in a kitchen...what to do and how and when. It's all timing.
And those who help understand what they are doing and how and why. Those who come late for the sightseeing tour are browbeaten into submission.

But we get awesome meals out.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
wow never knew
Yes gets all sorts of crazy peeps on the radio

Church DJ is one job I've never done though as the people in charge of the sound system are quite territorial...

Though I dont think its occured to some churches that its easy to set up a radio signal or podcast. Most are still trying to figure out how to work Facebook or youtube lol.
Because the equipment is expensive and can easily be fried. The sound booth is very temperamental. Cell phones are a no-no too as they bleed into the recording. You might not hear it over the speakers but the recording seems to pick the signals up.

So...yes leave the sound booth guys alone...we are happier that way. And space is extremely limited.

And my jobs in church have been everywhere and everything that I can do. And I cannot sing, play an instrument or carry a tune. But I can play Chef, small group leader, electrician, bus/shuttle driver, and parking lot attendant. Even vacuum or mop toilets. (I don't do plumbing) landscaping, shovel or sweep snow.

Just whatever needs doing and someone else is not jealously guarding THEIR job.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
When there's a complete kitchen in a church I'm in charge...
I'm good at it. I was a professional chef for years. And they let me do my thing. I know exactly how to run a brigade in a kitchen...what to do and how and when. It's all timing.
And those who help understand what they are doing and how and why. Those who come late for the sightseeing tour are browbeaten into submission.

But we get awesome meals out.
browbeaten? remind me to stay out of your kitchen.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
Because the equipment is expensive and can easily be fried. The sound booth is very temperamental. Cell phones are a no-no too as they bleed into the recording. You might not hear it over the speakers but the recording seems to pick the signals up.

So...yes leave the sound booth guys alone...we are happier that way. And space is extremely limited.

And my jobs in church have been everywhere and everything that I can do. And I cannot sing, play an instrument or carry a tune. But I can play Chef, small group leader, electrician, bus/shuttle driver, and parking lot attendant. Even vacuum or mop toilets. (I don't do plumbing) landscaping, shovel or sweep snow.

cell phone signal blockers are greAt friend. There is wall paint that blocks them too.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
cell phone signal blockers are greAt friend. There is wall paint that blocks them too.
They don't work when the cell phone is in your pocket and you are next to the recorder.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I am sometimes driver for church goers that need a ride.
But only if they live near me.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I don't browbeat anyone...the brigade does that. I'm friendly and appreciative.
well the old saying is if you cant stand the heat get out of the kitchen!
I prefer cooking at church than cooking at home cos mum can be a dragon lol.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
well the old saying is if you cant stand the heat get out of the kitchen!
I prefer cooking at church than cooking at home cos mum can be a dragon lol.
It doesn't matter how many cookbooks I am mentioned or pictured in...or how many kitchens I have run...
My mother still believes that I have difficulties cooking things properly and can't make anything right.

That old addage of "No prophet is accepted in his home town" still holds true.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
The sound booth is very temperamental. Cell phones are a no-no too as they bleed into the recording. You might not hear it over the speakers but the recording seems to pick the signals up.
They really do. And don't get me started on how strong cellphone signals have become lately.

It's also a lot of fun when a random laptop processor causes audio artifacts by being close to the mixer. I found that out with ThinkPads. ThinkPads are very effective at everything, but they don't really care what EM distortions they are throwing off.
Also don't get me started on people getting upset when someone takes THEIR job. Oy vey! :rolleyes:

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
They really do. And don't get me started on how strong cellphone signals have become lately.

It's also a lot of fun when a random laptop processor causes audio artifacts by being close to the mixer. I found that out with ThinkPads. ThinkPads are very effective at everything, but they don't really care what EM distortions they are throwing off.

Also don't get me started on people getting upset when someone takes THEIR job. Oy vey! :rolleyes:
With the cell phones it's the frequency and bandwidth...
Now everything is going to 5G from 4g and 3g....oy veh! It's gonna travel on every piece of metal it can find.
It will be a miracle if the LED lights don't start blinking from a cell phone texting.