Church Service in North Korea Video

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

1still_waters

This video claims to be a church service in Pyongyang, North Korea.
I'm not sure how much of this is DPRK propaganda, meant to lead us into believing the DPRK has freedom of religion.

Either way, this may be an indication the door is opening in the DPRK.

[video=youtube;JgfGahqSPxA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgfGahqSPxA[/video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgfGahqSPxA

V

Viligant_Warrior

Dog and pony show to brainwash the visiting foreigners. Pure propaganda. There is no freedom of religion in North Korea.

skipp

Mar 6, 2014
Yup, I've read many articles about these phony services they put on for the visitors. It's all for show. And then if you're caught with a Bible you get put into a nightmarish concentration camp.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
Many totalitarian nations have appropriated Christian language, symbolism, and the concept of Messiah for purposes of state worship.

Francis Schaeffer made the brilliant point that regimes and their founding philosophies cannot be judged primarily by their level of overt presence of God (i.e. atheist, theocratic, etc), but rather how Godly their thought structure is.

Chances are, if North Korea were to "legalize" Christianity, it would be another product of Hegelian synthesis.

Feb 5, 2013
The North Korea can only gain true freedom if the present system will go down.

Agricola

Dec 10, 2012
I do not think this is propaganda. This is North Korea taking a leaf out of Chinas book in state control of religion after realising they can not stamp out Christians, infact they increase in number as more people accept Christ.

This church you see in the video is going to be 100% under state control. You can be sure that several members of the congregation are officials monitoring what is being said. Sermons will be vetted and approved prior to speaking, most of the Gospel message would be surpressed and even banned from being told, anything that trumps the leaders divinity will also be banned. Bibles are also state controlled and would also be heavily censored and butchered beyond recognition.

There is also a very old trick where a leader reconciles with his enemies, bringing them out in the open, then after a short time they are rounded up and killed or sent to prison.

Anyone preaching a true Christian message and gospel and reading a Bible other than the state version will most likely be killed or sent to prison.

North Korea is top of the persecution list. Find out more at open doors.

Christian Persecution in North Korea - Open Doors UK & Ireland

1still_waters

I do not think this is propaganda. This is North Korea taking a leaf out of Chinas book in state control of religion after realising they can not stamp out Christians, infact they increase in number as more people accept Christ.

This church you see in the video is going to be 100% under state control. You can be sure that several members of the congregation are officials monitoring what is being said. Sermons will be vetted and approved prior to speaking, most of the Gospel message would be surpressed and even banned from being told, anything that trumps the leaders divinity will also be banned. Bibles are also state controlled and would also be heavily censored and butchered beyond recognition.

There is also a very old trick where a leader reconciles with his enemies, bringing them out in the open, then after a short time they are rounded up and killed or sent to prison.

Anyone preaching a true Christian message and gospel and reading a Bible other than the state version will most likely be killed or sent to prison.

North Korea is top of the persecution list. Find out more at open doors.

Christian Persecution in North Korea - Open Doors UK & Ireland
Even if it's a church with state control, that's another opening, another baby step.
We're so preoccupied with wanting an instant breakthrough, that we miss the significance of each baby step.

There may in fact be room for the simple gospel to be delivered.
If so we know God works through his word, because faith comes by hearing.
Yes the church may not be able to preach against the Kims, but they may have room to preach the simple gospel.

Think baby steps.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
Even if it's a church with state control, that's another opening, another baby step.
We're so preoccupied with wanting an instant breakthrough, that we miss the significance of each baby step.

There may in fact be room for the simple gospel to be delivered.
If so we know God works through his word, because faith comes by hearing.
Yes the church may not be able to preach against the Kims, but they may have room to preach the simple gospel.

Think baby steps.
I wouldn't be so optimistic.

Historically, Christian churches under totalitarian systems almost never preach a real gospel. All they have is a symbolic veneer. They only way they are usually broken is through the breaking of the regime itself by force of arms or a combination of economic pressure and threat of the force of arms.

What this move does indicate is that the growth of authentic Christianity in these autocracies is making these regimes sweat enough to take a step back. That could be the real baby step worth celebrating.

But, like I said, beware the dialectic. For every step back regimes like this take there are usually two steps forward planned in advance.

Rachel20

May 7, 2013
I wouldn't be so optimistic.

Historically, Christian churches under totalitarian systems almost never preach a real gospel. All they have is a symbolic veneer. They only way they are usually broken is through the breaking of the regime itself by force of arms or a combination of economic pressure and threat of the force of arms.

What this move does indicate is that the growth of authentic Christianity in these autocracies is making these regimes sweat enough to take a step back. That could be the real baby step worth celebrating.

But, like I said, beware the dialectic. For every step back regimes like this take there are usually two steps forward planned in advance.

Gentlemen, I'd like to remind you that Paul preached the gospel under a totalitarian regime of Rome.

In fact, from the start of Augustus Caesar's rule, the Imperial Cult of Rome, identified Emperors and members of the family with divinely sanctioned authority.

From wikipedia -

A deceased emperor held worthy of the honor could be voted a state divinity (divus, plural divi) by the Senate and elevated as such in an act of apotheosis. The granting of apotheosis served religious, political and moral judgment on Imperial rulers and allowed living Emperors to associate themselves with a well-regarded lineage of Imperial divi from which unpopular or unworthy predecessors were excluded.

Imperial cult (ancient Rome) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So under those times and those environments, Paul actively preached the message of the gospel.

Who's to say that God can't work in North Korea as well :)

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
So under those times and those environments, Paul actively preached the message of the gospel.

I've got you covered. ;)

V

Viligant_Warrior

I absolutely sure He can ...

... but not with the cooperation of the communist government! In fact, any work He does will be done with their direct opposition.

Rachel20

May 7, 2013

I was aiming for that :p

I've got you covered. ;)

M

Mitspa

Gentlemen, I'd like to remind you that Paul preached the gospel under a totalitarian regime of Rome.

In fact, from the start of Augustus Caesar's rule, the Imperial Cult of Rome, identified Emperors and members of the family with divinely sanctioned authority.

From wikipedia -

A deceased emperor held worthy of the honor could be voted a state divinity (divus, plural divi) by the Senate and elevated as such in an act of apotheosis. The granting of apotheosis served religious, political and moral judgment on Imperial rulers and allowed living Emperors to associate themselves with a well-regarded lineage of Imperial divi from which unpopular or unworthy predecessors were excluded.

Imperial cult (ancient Rome) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good point and because God was with him...they could not stop him no matter what they tried...

Agricola

Dec 10, 2012
Rachel makes a good point, just look at North Korea, China and Vietnam for indication as to what conditions the Apostles had to work in. Some emperors were more tolerant of Christians, but some persecuted them ruthlessly, such as Domitian who failed to have John killed, another indicator that God still had not finished with John and he enjoyed Gods protection.

As a side note, it is intersting to see how John became a great man and lived to a very old age, the only of the apostles to do so, which then it is no co-incidence that John was the only apostle who remained faithful to Christ at his crucifixion, while the others were off hiding and even denying they were the disciples of Christ, John was standing in respect and devotion at the cross while Jesus died.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Two things raised my suspicion of the video.
1. They went through great pains from showing the back of the Church service. (Usually where the coercion forces are stationed).
2. Every thing in the building was new (such a wonder, rich Christians in Korea ?)