Cleaning house

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
When I became a Christian I felt the uncontrollable urge to get ride of a lot of things; I wanted to clean house.

I got rid of numerous music CDs, some movies, books, statues, art, and miscellaneous things.

I felt like the people mentioned in Acts 19:

Acts 19:17-21
17And this was known to all the Jews and Greeks also dwelling at Ephesus; and fear fell on them all, and the name of the Lord Jesus was magnified.
18And many that believed came, and confessed, and shewed their deeds.
19Many of them also which used curious arts brought their books together, and burned them before all men: and they counted the price of them, and found it fifty thousand pieces of silver.
20So mightily grew the word of God and prevailed.

I felt like I needed to get rid of some things that were holding me back. I don't really have an explanation for why, but I believe the Holy Spirit of God led me to get rid of things that would hold me back.

Next, the Holy Spirit began working with me. He clearly had a gameplan as to which things needed to be removed first, and which order, to make my sanctification on Earth more effective.

I think living holy is a process that requires prerequisite changes before other changes can occur.

To those Jews and Gentiles mentioned in Acts 19, who believed in Christ, confessed, and showed their deeds it was a matter of getting rid of the books about "curious arts." Most Bible versions seem to specify that books about "curious arts" is a reference to magic/sorcerery books.

Before the Holy Spirit can address the root cause maybe it's necessary sometimes to clean house a little bit. Then He can address the root causes rather than the symptoms.

That is my experience that I'm still experiencing to this very day.

Ever experience anything like that?
i was raised catholic. when i became an adult, i felt God calling me, quite strongly. i didn't listen. i wasn't a real bad person, but being a drummer in a successful rock band with sound & road crews, i misbehaved with women. i knew i shouldn't be doing that. & i answered the call & stopped but it took about a year. then i became born again in 1993. but yes, i felt the urge to clean house. got rid of the evil metal music in 90' before i became Christian. i embarked on a "spiritual" journey to see what corrections i could come up with. there's was only 112 things i had to correct! (joking). but i invented a lesson: "admit, identify, recognize & correct"! so i figured out that i had a lack of confidence, had a critical negative spirit, was a complainer amongst other things & with Jesus help, forsook them all. & supplemental, i healed my asthma with Jesus help! 1 day i thought if i learned how to sing my lungs will develop a more deeper, rhythmic stronger breathing pattern. & it worked, no more asthma!!!!!! PRAISE THE LORD!!!!!!

Quinn777

Apr 21, 2023
This testimony was *AWESOME*. Thank you so much for posting it! I experienced the very same thing. I became Saved later in life and I wanted to part with anything and everything that was not of God. Really enjoyed reading your story. Thank you!

Apr 29, 2012
This testimony was *AWESOME*. Thank you so much for posting it! I experienced the very same thing. I became Saved later in life and I wanted to part with anything and everything that was not of God. Really enjoyed reading your story. Thank you!
Concerning things that ought to be gotten rid of, some things are open doors for demonic or worldly influence , a type of leaven. I suggest applying Colossians 3:15 and the Holy Spirits leading when cleaning house. When you look at some thing wondering if you should get rid of it, let the Holy Spirit and your heart felt peace lead you.