College Students Turning Away From the Church

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
E

eecollins

I was having a friendly discussion in my college small group and someone brought up the topic of young adults/ college students turning away and leaving churches. Anyone have any opinions about why this is happening and what can be done to combat this issue?

W

WarriorForChrist

I was having a friendly discussion in my college small group and someone brought up the topic of young adults/ college students turning away and leaving churches. Anyone have any opinions about why this is happening and what can be done to combat this issue?
Plain and simple, they never truly had a relationship with the Lord. You can blame the parents and the Church.

U

Ugly

Well, what a lovely accusation, as well as a default condemnation of thousands of parents. Good call.

To OP: This is nothing new. This same thing was going on 30 years ago. This is often the time when children separate from their parents and try to find their identity and establish their beliefs as their own. They may also be exposed to, or pressured to, engage in sinful activities. Without an established church family and friends in the new area (as many times this happens to young adults going away for school) they lack guidance and accountability as well as having a new set of temptations, they tend give in eventually.
They are also hearing all sorts of new arguments against their faith from both professors as well as other students and may know how to handle a plethora of new assaults on their faith. These are, often times, the most common reasons.

E

eecollins

Well, what a lovely accusation, as well as a default condemnation of thousands of parents. Good call.

To OP: This is nothing new. This same thing was going on 30 years ago. This is often the time when children separate from their parents and try to find their identity and establish their beliefs as their own. They may also be exposed to, or pressured to, engage in sinful activities. Without an established church family and friends in the new area (as many times this happens to young adults going away for school) they lack guidance and accountability as well as having a new set of temptations, they tend give in eventually.
They are also hearing all sorts of new arguments against their faith from both professors as well as other students and may know how to handle a plethora of new assaults on their faith. These are, often times, the most common reasons.
That is what my friend and I were thinking as well. We also were focused on how a lot of churches do not cater to college students. For example, they have youth ministry, pre teen ministry, and high school ministry but once you are in college there are not a lot of resources out there for you (your essentially clumped into the adult ministry). Also, many churches focus on behavioral sermons for young children rather than the Gospel. I am not sure but maybe that could be a leading factor?

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
Modern Christianity has largely abandoned its intellectual tradition. Students who attend college find their paper-thin apologetic constructs shattered by ideological professors who wish to inculcate their own views (usually cultural Marxism).

This is what happens when your contemporary Christian figureheads are Joel Osteen and John Hagee rather than Jonathan Edwards and John Calvin.

U

Ugly

That is what my friend and I were thinking as well. We also were focused on how a lot of churches do not cater to college students. For example, they have youth ministry, pre teen ministry, and high school ministry but once you are in college there are not a lot of resources out there for you (your essentially clumped into the adult ministry). Also, many churches focus on behavioral sermons for young children rather than the Gospel. I am not sure but maybe that could be a leading factor?
Hmm.. that has not been my experience. Most of the churches i've been to have a young adults/college age ministry. But i think that what church is has been negatively redefined as the place Christians bring their non-Christian friends. And churches encourage this. This allows the job of being a witness to fall to the pastor. So the messages are often shallow or aimed at non-believers. So we end up with a church full of non-Christians, or baby Christians who never grow, only hearing the salvation message every week.
But, as i said, even when churches had better messages this whole issue of college age kids leaving the church was still common. So i don't think the issue of the way churches are is so much of the issue, but only, perhaps, fueling an existing issue. But what we never hear are how many of those that leave the church at that age return to it later on. Hearing that many leave the church at that age is only one part of a longer story.

Feb 7, 2015
In a large part, I think it comes from us trying to perpetuate the "model" of an 1800's church, calling what our grandfathers developed, "the church God decreed."

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
Well here most people who are in college dont have God in their live in the first place, get pulled into parties and stuff. Plus you gotta study so much and be in school so late at time up to past 9pm so they rather learn and/or get some sleep over the weekend than goin to church.

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
All the places ive lived with big colleges have churches actively pursuing college kids. maybe its a small school youre at.

JonahLynx

Dec 28, 2014
In past polls the biggest two reasons for not going have been that people disagreed with what was being taught or they don't have the time / it's not that important. Christ being the only way to salvation isn't very popular these days, since people like to think that "if you're a good person" that's enough. And typical churches really serve no function that's visible or practical to most people.

Last edited:

jsr1221

Jul 7, 2013
I attest to this. There are very few young adults ministries. And for those that do exist, a lot of them have folks married. Kinda makes it awkward for those singles folks. There is a church in my area, though, that does have a young adults singles ministry. Meaning you have to be 18-29 and can't be married. It hasn't been the same, though, as it was when I first joined last summer. So I'm kinda lost again in fellowship with other believers around my age.

E

Eternallife

Honestly I think that we can only phantom the sheeps clothing wolves are dressed in. Who is to say that since the followers of Satan pose as angels of light they aren't posing as college students proclaiming to fall away from the truth? I will say one thing those demons knew that people like money when they asked Jesus to be able to be placed in the herd of swine. What I'm saying is there might be a lot more things involved regarding collage students falling away from the truth because of atheist teachers. It could all be part of the threshing floor.

E

Eternallife

Take for instance people falsely saying that monster drinks logos are a symbol for Satan or how on Starbucks logo she is a goddess. Starbucks said a long time ago what the logo was and it wasn't a goddess. I'm saying that yeah maybe there are college students who are falling away, but we also must understand that many things that are distorted as bad not all of them are. For all we know there might be currently a great revival among the youth today that is currently trying to be covered up from our understanding as well. I'm just saying we should always keep this stuff in mind.