Compare the Amidah and the Lord’s Prayer

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 31, 2011
Those of you who know me through my posts know that I am excited about how much the OT can teach us NT Christians. Some of you are quite turned off with the entire idea. But have patience with one more example.

There is a prayer the Jews still use that seems to be so old no one knows how old it is. Someone said that when Christ gave us the Lord’s Prayer, it was this prayer condensed, I checked it out. The sameness and the differences are most interesting. It is called the Amidah, it is not scripture,yet Christ must have known of it for the Lord’s Prayer is so similar although the Amidah is too long to copy on this post.

The first paragraphs of the Amidah talks of the holinessof God as does our prayer. Christ next said “Your Kingdom come, Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven”. At this point they differ, the Amidah asks for knowledge and understanding next.

When we study God’s Kingdom, we find that God wanted Israel to be that Kingdom, then that Christ was to be the beginning of this Kingdom of God that is different and new. Also, we know that the Holy Spirit would be given us for knowledge and understanding.

Next in both prayers is asking for forgiveness. The Amidah adds prayer for healing.

Next for both is asking for blessings, in the Lord’sPrayer it asks for daily bread, The Amidah goes into greater detail. It says “Satisfy us from your bounty and bless our year like other good years, for blessing; for You are a generous God who bestows goodness and blesses the years.”

The Amidah does not ask to deliver us from temptation, as ours does. The rest of the Amidah is for Israel, and praising God.

There is a passage I find interesting. “Blessed are You Lord who rebuilds Jerusalem,Speedily cause the scion of David Your servant to flourish, and increase His power by Your salvation, for we hope for Your salvation all day. Blessed are our Lord, who causes the power of salvation to flourish.”

Oct 31, 2011
That is the one, although I hadn't seen this version. There are many on the net. Here is another
hhttp://www.egrc.net/articles/other/amidah.html

K

kenisyes

It's pretty clear Jesus based the Lord's Prayer on something like this. I doubt we will ever know what version Jesus Himself learned as a child. It has been two millenia, and the amidah must have changed a lot.

D

devekuth

"Kosher Jesus" by Rabbi Schmuley points out that everything Jesus talked about was from Torah or the Rabbi's of his day. It's and interesting read, discovering the Jewish Jesus and how Torah observant he really was (Matthew 18). Some things you won't agree with...but who agrees with everything they read?

tribesman

Oct 13, 2011
"Kosher Jesus" by Rabbi Schmuley points out that everything Jesus talked about was from Torah or the Rabbi's of his day. It's and interesting read, discovering the Jewish Jesus and how Torah observant he really was (Matthew 18). Some things you won't agree with...but who agrees with everything they read?
I haven't read Schmuley's book...but needless to say Jesus kept the Torah. He is the only man who ever kept the whole law perfectly.