computing for the blind

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

JTB

Aug 31, 2021
does anyone know what it would take to set up a windows 10 machine for use by the blind? What programs/apps would be useful? What system settings could be used? Thanks for any advice.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
@JaumeJ would know, as he uses a text to voice app to read the forum posts...

There are also apps to translate voice to text for making posts :)

Zandar

May 16, 2023
I remember listening to NPR back in the 90s and they had a lot stuff like readers for the blind. Im sure there must be even more advanced tools now, so I would look it up on the governments web sites.

HeIsHere

May 21, 2022
does anyone know what it would take to set up a windows 10 machine for use by the blind? What programs/apps would be useful? What system settings could be used? Thanks for any advice.
JAWS is the software specifically designed for people with vision impairments. I know it works with Windows, not sure about other platforms.

It is a screen reader which is more than text to speech, however it can be steep learning curve, however if a person is completely blind I would say it is an essential tool.

It is available through Freedom Scientific.

https://www.freedomscientific.com/products/software/jaws/

HeIsHere

May 21, 2022
Does this person read Braille?