condemned...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Nov 3, 2012
i have a brother who is also a christian. for so many years he deceived me. he hid that his girlfriend was already married to another guy and that they are living together.

i was so furious when i learned that. i told them that they need to stay away from each other, live separately. but i was condemned by my family. my family, even my immediate family, are angry with me. they even told me to be considerate...

HUH?! am i wrong?

A

AgeofKnowledge

No. You are not. And, you have followed the Biblical model of Christian accountablility by confronting them in their sin. That is the first step.

I've done it myself. I had a roommate about a decade ago that just moved a girlfriend in. No kidding and this guy was a Christian.

I woke up one morning to go to work and she was in her pajamas making him breakfast. I was scratching my head and asked her why she was there in her pajamas at 7 AM in the morning and she said she lived there now in his room with him.

I was like, "OH REALLY?"

I confronted him that night straight up and didn't back down an inch. I told him that what he was doing was called FORNICATION and he was now officially living in sin. It could have turned into a fist fight. He wasn't happy to be told the truth bluntly. But, he also wasn't repenting so I packed up and left them both to it. Time to move out.

i have a brother who is also a christian. for so many years he deceived me. he hid that his girlfriend was already married to another guy and that they are living together.

i was so furious when i learned that. i told them that they need to stay away from each other, live separately. but i was condemned by my family. my family, even my immediate family, are angry with me. they even told me to be considerate...

HUH?! am i wrong?

Nov 3, 2012
AgeofKnowledege u mean i have to unpacked my things too?

it already passed in my mind but i can't leave my family. i love them...even though they are condemning me...

A

AgeofKnowledge

In my case, it was a roommate. So it was easy to pack up and leave after confronting him for living in sin.

In your case, it is your family and that changes things somewhat. No, I'm not suggesting that you have to leave your family. You do have to figure out how you're going to live with the situation, however.

This could be your "thorn in the flesh" so to speak. You may have to "live in the world but be not a part of the world."

I think you should reach out to your pastor for a counseling session on this as your next step.

AgeofKnowledege u mean i have to unpacked my things too?

it already passed in my mind but i can't leave my family. i love them...even though they are condemning me...

D

dmdave17

Dear friend,

As Christians, we are instructed to "speak the truth in love". You viewpoint is absolutely correct. Jesus told us, "Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery, and the man who marries a divorced woman commits adultery." (Luke 16:18) By analogy, that is exactly what your brother and his girlfriend are doing.

But having said that, I think I detect (maybe) just a little defect in the "in love" part of that instruction. You have said your piece. You were right. But it is not your place to demand that they stop living togther, or really change their lifestyle in any way.

You should not condone what they are doing. But that is no reason to continue to "harp" on the subject. You can treat them with respect and love, and just avoid the subject of their living arrangements. They know how you feel. Your family knows how you feel. It is time to give it to God. Only He can make any lasting changes in their attitudes. Pray for them, that their eyes will be opened to the error of their ways, and that they will repent and leave their adulterous relationship. However, you should not place yourself in a position of openly condemning them for what they are doing. That chore belongs to God.

Finally, if your brother is, indeed, a Christian you might want to call his attention (lovingly) to the Apostle, Paul's warning in 2nd Corinthians, "Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? Or what does a believer have in common with an unbeliever?" (2 Corinthians 6:14-15) A lot of marriages are dashed on the rocks of unequal belief and faith.

May God guide you in your dilemma.

Nov 3, 2012
Thank you AgeofKnowledge and dmdave17!

A

AgeofKnowledge

Also, try to relax annijho. You sound like you are going through a lot. We ask in our time and God answers in His time.

Thank you AgeofKnowledge and dmdave17!