Connection/Disconnection errors.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
R

richie_2uk

Hello, I have been having problems with the chat of late. Now before you suggest that I update software, like flash player, shockwave players, and any other flash related software. they are all updated. I even checked my browser, and firewalls and security software. But every time I log in, whether be in the forums or chat. I am only in for no more than Five minutes before I am disconnected. Again I have check my connection, and the software I have on my computer. and its getting to the point that I getting fed up with this problem. I have the keep me online button when I sign or log in checked, and that makes no difference. When I'm writing in forums, threads, or replying to inbox, its fine. it don't disconnect me off the site completely, though it has one or two times in the past. but it's the chat that's having this problem with.

I know there are errors on CC, and I also know that work in in progress to sort them out. But Can I ask that when who ever is cleaning the site cache, is or are they cleaning shared files that's related to the site, for these errors to occur? These things needs to be done that I know. But who ever is cleaning the site cache clutter, maybe deleting shared files?

I am not getting any problems like this on other sites that are flash based. Skype, windows live messenger are all working fine. It's just everytime I come to this site. the errors occur and is frustrating. I don't want to leave this site, but this is fantastic site, and great fellowship, and have some good friends here.

I am not sure if anyone else is having this problem, But as I am writing this, I have been disconnected 2 times already.
I hope this can be resolved, and hope that this will not be a cause of other people leaving this site.

God bless.

Last edited:
R

richie_2uk

If anyone has any valid suggestions or any advice, I would appreiciate it thanks.

R

richie_2uk

So any help here? As this has happened to me 4 more times, and really getting on my nervs, so much? its making me want to leave this place. tonight,

R

richie_2uk

Its ok, Don't bother, I'm leaving CC. I just want to say bye to everyone, and I wish that God will bless you all. I hope you can sort these errors out RoboOp, I don't want to hear that the frustration of these errors will be the reason for other people to leave too, as it has me. I thank you all of those who I managed to be friends with from all over the world. and I pray that God will continue to bless you all. I don't like long good Byes. So Good bye, and God bless............................

W

wwjd_kilden

You leave because an error is not resolved within an hour? You do know these people don't get paid to fix this site, right?

D

djness

Well. I can understand your frustration...I wanted to quite CC once cause I could not use voice at all, but it turned out to be a problem on my end not CC.

Just in case you do decide to read this again.
I notice your join date is May 7th 2012.

So the question I would start with is what has happened between that date and now that is different. Quite a lot I would suspect. The other question that begs to be asked is , is anyone else having the same issue?

If the large majority of other people using the site are not having the same issue then it stands to reason it isn't CC but that it is something on your end.

Since you say that everything is updated then the next issue would be the actual internet provider.

The majority of internet tools like skype or any messenger take up little to no bandwith.

Now if you start adding on top of that video chat it DOES take up more bandwith.

Have you tried doing speed tests with any other sites to see what your actual up and down stream is?

If you want someone to actually troubleshoot this I will help if I can.

R

richie_2uk

No I leave, because I don't want to come to a site with a wrong attitude, and frustrated. I have posted this problem before, and no one has advised or given any help, so no, its not because this has happened an hour ago, this has been going on for sometime, and had no answers for any help at all. and I cannot go in a chat, with a wrong frame of mind, its not right for a Christian to be angry. So best thing for me to do, is to leave.,

D

djness

Just to give you an idea of what sorts of speeds you need for voice and video, here is a link from skypes site about what is used and what is recommended for bandwidth. I imagine for CC it isn't much different with the video and voice speed requirements.

How much bandwidth does Skype need?

The bandwidth required by Skype depends on the type of calls you want to make. The table below provides the minimum download and upload speeds required, as well as the recommended speeds for best performance.
[TABLE="class: list"]
[TR]
[TH="align: center"]Call type[/TH]
[TH="align: center"]Minimum download
/ upload speed[/TH]
[TH="align: center"]Recommended download
/ upload speed[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Calling[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]30kbps / 30kbps[/TD]
[TD="class: last-child, align: center"]100kbps / 100kbps[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Video calling /
Screen sharing[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]128kbps / 128kbps[/TD]
[TD="class: last-child, align: center"]300kbps / 300kbps[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Video calling
(high-quality)[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]400kbps / 400kbps[/TD]
[TD="class: last-child, align: center"]500kbps / 500kbps[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Video calling
(HD)[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]1.2Mbps / 1.2Mbps[/TD]
[TD="class: last-child, align: center"]1.5Mbps / 1.5Mbps[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Group video
(3 people)[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]512kbps / 128kbps[/TD]
[TD="class: last-child, align: center"]2Mbps / 512kbps[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Group video
(5 people)[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]2Mbps / 128kbps[/TD]
[TD="class: last-child, align: center"]4Mbps / 512kbps[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Group video
(7+ people)[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]4Mbps / 128kbps[/TD]
[TD="class: last-child, align: center"]8Mbps / 512kbps
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

RoboOp

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 4, 2008
Our chat has been designed for very low bandwidth in order to accommodate people in all countries (some countries don't have very high speed internet or reliable internet). Shouldn't need much more than 100 kbps, and that's only when someone is speaking on cam. And there's also a "low speed" option (in the options where you launch the chat) which will remove all video (but you can still hear people and you'll simply see their avatar instead of their webcam), and that only needs around 30 kbps.

So speed isn't really an issue. But latency can be an issue. And you need to have a reliable persistent connection. If your internet is a little flaky with momentary disconnections you may not notice it doing web surfing but it may disconnect you from CC.

Anyway we did also restart the chat server software yesterday so if it was a problem on our end hopefully that resolved it.

Aug 13, 2013
My chat room has been crashing a lot. Almost 10 times in one night? Is it a software problem? It worked fine before. Thanks.