Conservatism

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

Sooner28

For all the conservatives out there, I'm curious as to how you would define what a conservative is and the reason(s) for some of the positions taken with regards to Christianity and politics.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
I call myself christian. It is others that would say conservitive.
As to politics? It is not for me to define, only to witness to by my vote.
God bless, pickles

L

lighthousejohn

For all the conservatives out there, I'm curious as to how you would define what a conservative is and the reason(s) for some of the positions taken with regards to Christianity and politics.
I think the word conservative can apply to both religion and politics but they do not necessarily go together. I know many people who are liberal theologically but conservative politically and visa versa.

I am a conservative Christian in my beliefs and I am also a political conservative. A political conservative to me is one that believes in limited government, conservative fiscal policies (If it isn't paid for, it shouldn't be law). Socila polices that reflect my Christian values such as no abortion, no attacks on Christian values such as public prayer. No hate speech laws. No right to die panels or assisted suicide laws. I think you can get the idea.

As a conservative Christian, I am opposed to liberal theology that allows/advocates tolerance of gay marriage and gay pastors. I am opposed to the "soft" gospel which is meant to make people feel good about themselves in their relationship with God. I am opposed to false doctrines such as prosperity theology preaching.

In Christ
John

1still_waters

Pro life
Marriage is between one man and one woman
Low taxes
small but efficient gov't
a nation should be founded on God

right to bear arms

supporting the troops
anti-illegal immigration, pro-legal immigration
Belief in full freedom of press, speech and religion.

That seems like a rough outline..at least for folks in The USA

H

HumbleSaint

I would say that conservative means to conserve the commands of God. I think we all should be conservative.

Aug 16, 2009
I think the word conservative can apply to both religion and politics but they do not necessarily go together. I know many people who are liberal theologically but conservative politically and visa versa.
Hi lighthousejohn,
You've nailed it down precisely. It's quite apparent that a theologicially conservative Christian can indeed be a political liberal - much to the chagrin of political conservatives!
Different strokes for different folks or as Aquinas or Erasmus might express it:
"De gustibus non est disputandum."
KayCee

L

lighthousejohn

Hi lighthousejohn,
You've nailed it down precisely. It's quite apparent that a theologicially conservative Christian can indeed be a political liberal - much to the chagrin of political conservatives!
Different strokes for different folks or as Aquinas or Erasmus might express it:
"De gustibus non est disputandum."
KayCee
I copuldn't have said it better myself. LOL

S

Sooner28

I think there is a common misunderstanding so far in this post. I know politics and theology do not always go together. I'm asking for both groups to respond. If you are conservative politically but liberal theologically then only respond to the politics part, and vice versa. Or if someone is a political and theological conservative that is what I am looking for also. Sorry for causing any misunderstanding.

J

jimmydiggs

Pro life
Marriage is between one man and one woman
Low taxes
small but efficient gov't
a nation should be founded on God

right to bear arms

supporting the troops
anti-illegal immigration, pro-legal immigration
Belief in full freedom of press, speech and religion.

That seems like a rough outline..at least for folks in The USA

"Old School" Conservatives also firmly believed in protecting the environment, and using it, but replacing it, as it is god's earth and should be treated as such.

I would be conservative except for freedom of the press, some "things" and "acts" just don't belong on Television.

V

Vidy

These guys pretty much covered it =P For some reason, when I think of these terms, I think of pouring syrup on a pancake, because I always hear people say "Be conservative on the syrup" or "be liberal with the syrup" lol.

Conservative- People who like to conserve stuff. They aren't really into major changes, and are very careful about everything. They don't spend excessively, and they stick to what they know is true.

Liberal- People who are very liberal with what they have. They are constantly changing the way things work, and take lots of risks for the hope of improvement. They know no limits when it comes to spending, and will go to any cost to make the changes they think might help.

That's my general take on things. I didn't list specific stuff because I'm SURE I would leave a ton of stuff out, but this covers each side's basic ideals I think ^_^

1still_waters

I heard someone say something once like...

Liberals job is to say change, Conservatives job is to say NO!

My paraphrase.

V

Vidy

I also forgot to mention-

Conservative flaws-
They tend to delay even when change is necessary. I WOULD say they also tend to look for large corporations to remain in power instead of depending on the public, but both parties do that now (at least on the political side of things). They generally think older is ALWAYS better.

Liberal flaws- They are very likely to make large impulse decisions. They can either build a country quickly or their can tear it down quickly. They scoff at old ideas and believe that everything older than 100 years is outdated, and oftentimes this includes the Bible and its values.

G

giantone

With all the compromises and misconceptions and nice sounding words that are misused, to me conservatism is just a nice sounding word that sometimes camouflages very bad things.

I believe right is right and wrong is wrong. Black is black and white is white. The liberal view is much more open (double) minded.

James 1:8 *A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.