Controversial verses parsed #3

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
1 Jn 2:3, 3:23 & 5:4-5 commandments parsed

Invariably people like to add there own contextual application to 1 Jn 2:3, 3:23 & 5:4-5. I.E. the 10 commandments.

Originally scripture wasn't written via chapter & verse, that's added later by translators. Taking one verse out of context invariably leads to doctrinal misinterpretations.

1 Jn 2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
(MY NOTE: For John's intended reference to: keep his commandments. You must READ ON!)

1 Jn 3:23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.
(MY NOTE: What commandment is 1 Jn 2:3 referring to? Keeping Mosaic laws? NO! Everyone who believes Christ is the Son og God. The long promised Messiah/atonement/redeemer. Also see what Jesus say's in Matt 22:36-40 posted below.)

1 Jn 5:
4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.
(MY NOTE: How does one overcome the world? By keeping Mosaic law commandments? NO! The victory comes via Faith. Faith that Christ is the sin atoning rescue to Adam's sin - Rom 5:12-15)

5 Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?
(MY NOTE: How does someone overcome the sins of the world? By keeping Mosaic law commandments? NO! Rereading Vs 4: via FAITH! Faith in what? Rereading Vs 3: That Jesus the Son of God is the promised Messiah/atonement/redeemer!)

Christ given commandments?

Matt: 22:
36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

38 This is the first and great commandment.
(MY NOTE: Love God)

39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
(MY NOTE: Love your brother as thyself)

40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
(MY NOTE: These two engulf the others. If you truly Love someone. You won't kill, steal from, bear false witness against, covet their stuff, etc)

Rom 13:
8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
(MY NOTE: Love fulfills the law)

9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
(MY NOTE: If you truly Love someone. You won't kill, steal from, bear false witness against, covet their stuff, etc)

10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.
(MY NOTE: Genuine love for ones neighbor fulfills NT law.)

Gal 6:2 Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.
(MY NOTE: Loving your brother fulfills the law of Christ)

What's the commandments of Christ? The same person that wrote the Mosaic 10 commandments. Love your God 1st & your brother.

Jn 13:
34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
(MY NOTE: What's the commandment/law of Christ? Love your brother)

35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.
(MY NOTE: Love your brother)

Ja 2:8 If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well:
(MY NOTE: The royal law is keeping the Mosaic 10? NO! Love your brother as yourself)

Acts 4:12 Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved.”
(MY NOTE: That name is Jesus the Christ)

Titus 2:11 For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people.
(MY NOTE Grace has a Name - Jesus the Christ!)