Conversion experience. If you never had it are you saved?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
D

djness

When I was in my teens and going to church I knew several people having these prodigal son conversions. Paul on the road to damascus sort of thing. Great amount of tears and joy over the lost being saved. When I would read about some person being saved in a book or magazine it was always this great amount of peace, immediate assurance of salvation, obvious feeling of presence of Christ, joy and worshiping God.

So I came to believe that if you didn't have this experience then your prayer for salvation was denied or not heard. Maybe you didn't really mean it, maybe you didn't word it the right way. Whatever the reason you were denied entry into the book of life, God has his face turned as it were.

So my question is , how many of you have had the conversion experience? How many of you think you are saved but never had this? Is it an obvious assurance of salvation when this happens? If it hasn't happened have you always wondered?

N

nathan3

never had that really.But I know I'm saved through Christ. My experience is different maybe, but not really . Everyone is different, different personalities and places they are in life or mindset. I don't think there is a "feeling"; you have to have, in order for a person to be saved. The work is what Christ did, all we have to do then is believe that and mature in the Bible and learn whats its trying to tell us.

Thinking a little about it : I made a choice to want something, I went after it, until I get it; Salvation and God ; The truth, etc...It may not be some profound experience but, a seeking we have to do every day, and mature in mind, to be aware... One way is , ask God for the truth; and be honest with Him & yourself about what, it is you want.

Last edited:
H

hattiebod

When I was in my teens and going to church I knew several people having these prodigal son conversions. Paul on the road to damascus sort of thing. Great amount of tears and joy over the lost being saved. When I would read about some person being saved in a book or magazine it was always this great amount of peace, immediate assurance of salvation, obvious feeling of presence of Christ, joy and worshiping God.

So I came to believe that if you didn't have this experience then your prayer for salvation was denied or not heard. Maybe you didn't really mean it, maybe you didn't word it the right way. Whatever the reason you were denied entry into the book of life, God has his face turned as it were.

So my question is , how many of you have had the conversion experience? How many of you think you are saved but never had this? Is it an obvious assurance of salvation when this happens? If it hasn't happened have you always wondered?
A dear elderly Christian gentleman likened your question by saying to me that some of us enter into a relationship with Christ by going over the border on a train in broad daylight, we see the border and know exactly when we have crossed. Others travel in twilight, they are not aware of when they cross but when they get off the train, they know they are there. They see it, feel it and experience it, believe they have arrived. Both are saved, both have a story, one may be dramatic and more of a 'road to Damascus' story but thats not what matters. What matters is a repentant belief in Jesus Christ. <><

R

RachelBibleStudent

this demand for a 'freakout repentence' experience as evidence of true conversion is becoming more and more common nowdays as an equally extreme reaction to the 'continuing in sin' moral apathy of liberal christianity and lukewarm culture friendly evangelicalism...

for example it shows up in the teachings of paul washer and his cadre of starstruck admirers...

however it is not a legitimate expectation...there are many examples in scripture of converts who had no emotional conversion experience...such as the ethiopian eunuch...cornelius the centurion...apollos...and so on...

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
I've had quite an experience but that is not what saved me. The promise is believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved. An experience may come but our eyes are to be on Jesus not an anticipated experience.

C

CDavid

Repentance is the conversion experience. You convert from sin: repent from sin; turn away from sin. These three statements are synonymous. There is no salvation, without first repentance/conversion experience. If we first repent/convert, then Jesus will save us.

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
I must say i did have a conversion from the inside out...

Knowing how evil i had been in the eyes of my Creator really did knock me for six.

I believe the seed given needs ongoing Light and Water to grow.

Following the Good Shepherd on the path of Righteousness home.

One must accept correction and remain humble seeking His Righteousness not their own.

Godly sorrow...

Last edited:

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
Knowing it was not bad people in the past that killed the Messiah but my sins really did cut into my heart.

I was one of those bad people... He was there so my sins could be forgiven.

Oct 31, 2011
I know the exact time I received the Holy Spirit. It was at 8:10 in the evening, I was sitting up in bed reading the Sermon on the Mount. But other people talk about a completely different experience. I didn't have anyone to talk to about what happened, and it was very personal without even close ties to church.

Just as each person has a separate fingerprint, different from all other people, God treats each one of us separately. God is very exact about his principles and what He wants from us, but His relationship with each of us is personal and meant just for each person.

I have known people who are given great insight from the beginning, but most of us grow spiritually with disipline and study.

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
Luke 7

And Jesus answering said unto him, Simon, I have somewhat to say unto thee. And he saith, Master, say on. 41There was a certain creditor which had two debtors: the one owed five hundred pence, and the other fifty. 42And when they had nothing to pay, he frankly forgave them both. Tell me therefore, which of them will love him most? 43Simon answered and said, I suppose that he, to whom he forgave most. And he said unto him, Thou hast rightly judged. 44And he turned to the woman, and said unto Simon, Seest thou this woman? I entered into thine house, thou gavest me no water for my feet: but she hath washed my feet with tears, and wiped them with the hairs of her head. 45Thou gavest me no kiss: but this woman since the time I came in hath not ceased to kiss my feet. 46My head with oil thou didst not anoint: but this woman hath anointed my feet with ointment. 47Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little. 48And he said unto her, Thy sins are forgiven.49And they that sat at meat with him began to say within themselves, Who is this that forgiveth sins also? 50And he said to the woman, Thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace.
i'm humbled often by the above...

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
I know the exact time I received the Holy Spirit. It was at 8:10 in the evening, I was sitting up in bed reading the Sermon on the Mount. But other people talk about a completely different experience. I didn't have anyone to talk to about what happened, and it was very personal without even close ties to church.

Just as each person has a separate fingerprint, different from all other people, God treats each one of us separately. God is very exact about his principles and what He wants from us, but His relationship with each of us is personal and meant just for each person.

I have known people who are given great insight from the beginning, but most of us grow spiritually with disipline and study.
I agree we each have different journey's home.

I could not tell any the day let alone the hour :)

it felt like the world changed before me nay it was the Light within shining in the darkness.

zone

Jun 13, 2010
however it is not a legitimate expectation...there are many examples in scripture of converts who had no emotional conversion experience...such as the ethiopian eunuch...cornelius the centurion...apollos...and so on...
well, not sure i'd go that far to say no emotional experience. we're not told a lot about the eunuch...dunno about the greek, but the english has an exclamation mark in there:)...and some rejoicing on:)

Acts 8
34And the eunuch said to Philip, “About whom, I ask you, does the prophet say this, about himself or about someone else?” 35Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning with this Scripture he told him the good news about Jesus. 36And as they were going along the road they came to some water, and the eunuch said, “See, here is water! What prevents me from being baptized?”e 38And he commanded the chariot to stop, and they both went down into the water, Philip and the eunuch, and he baptized him. 39And when they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord carried Philip away, and the eunuch saw him no more, and went on his way rejoicing

there's some emotional stuff going on with cornelius also by the look of it:

Acts 10
1At Caesarea there was a man named Cornelius, a centurion of what was known as the Italian Cohort, 2a devout man who feared God with all his household, gave alms generously to the people, and prayed continually to God. 3About the ninth hour of the daya he saw clearly in a vision an angel of God come in and say to him, “Cornelius.” 4And he stared at him in terror and said, “What is it, Lord?”

24...Cornelius was expecting them and had called together his relatives and close friends. 25When Peter entered, Cornelius met him and fell down at his feet and worshiped him.:rolleyes:

this demand for a 'freakout repentence' experience as evidence of true conversion is becoming more and more common nowdays as an equally extreme reaction to the 'continuing in sin' moral apathy of liberal christianity and lukewarm culture friendly evangelicalism...
i agree with this part though for sure....this is what shows up just before the demand for 'Revivals'.
all the hype and demands
then you get your inevitable burned-out, burned-over time.

N

Nancyer

I have heard story after story about the moment of salvation from members of my own church, to people on tv. I never had that experience but I believe with all my heart I am saved and here for the Glory of God until He calls me home. This isn't to say I don't struggle with some of my demons, I do. But I pray daily by talking with God, presenting my cares to Him and hopefully being a witness for others.

One Sunday when a lay leader was giving the sermon he asked the congregation did we know we were saved and how did we know that. He answers that question saying he was saved the day Jesus died on the cross for him.

Don't think though that I wouldn't love to have "the experience", I've even prayed for it. Not for my own convincing but for the experience of "feeling" God there rather than knowing he's there.

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012

John 20:24-29
[h=3]Jesus Appears to Thomas[/h][SUP]24 [/SUP]Now Thomas (also known as Didymus), one of the Twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came. [SUP]25 [/SUP]So the other disciples told him, “We have seen the Lord!”
But he said to them, “Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe.”
[SUP]26 [/SUP]A week later his disciples were in the house again, and Thomas was with them. Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you!” [SUP]27 [/SUP]Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.”
[SUP]28 [/SUP]Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God!”
[SUP]29 [/SUP]Then Jesus told him,Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”
Just believe thats all folks

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
(snip)

(snip)
This part is right out, demonic and faith destroying nonsense. There is not a scrap of Scripture to support this type of 'spirituality'.
I will a concede a 'change' that takes place is a new love for God's Word which previously was non existent.

G

Graybeard

because the [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, DejaVu Sans, sans-serif]Seventh-day Adventists say that one feels a"burning"...I think some Christians now also want a "sign".[/FONT]

N

nonicknametouse

I believe that the Lord deals with each person in a different way. I know when I received the Lord I meant every word I spoke. There were no fireworks going off , It was just a knowing in my heart that I was saved. If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead you will be saved. Romans 10:9 We as imperfect humans tend to complicate the things of God. It depends on the person and the circumstances of their life at the time. I believe that change and salvation go together. If there is no heart change it does not matter if the fireworks flared or not.

R

RachelBibleStudent

because the Seventh-day Adventists say that one feels a"burning"...I think some Christians now also want a "sign".
i am pretty sure it is the mormons and not the seventh day adventists who believe in the 'burning'...

feel free to prove me wrong though...

N

nonicknametouse

You will get a sign. A heart change. Just compare your live before you received the Lord to after you received.

Matthew 7:20 You will know them by their fruit.

G

Graybeard

i am pretty sure it is the mormons and not the seventh day adventists who believe in the 'burning'...

feel free to prove me wrong though...
your quite right Rachel...my mistake...they say that you must read The Book of Mormon cover to cover then you will experience a "burning" which is confirmation that what you have read is Truth.