Could use some prayer.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Apr 18, 2024
I very recently tried to quit tobacco and I'll just say, it didn't go well. I only lasted maybe around 8 hours, though I honestly wasn't keeping track of when I stopped and when I went back to it. I started feeling the typical fidgetiness from quitting after only an hour or so. Then came the slight anxiety which led me to say some things I wouldn't normally have said in some texts and partially forget about giving up secular things. I think I've only tried to quit maybe 3 times. 2 I can remember vividly because they gave slight hallucinations on top of panic attacks which made me instantly get some tobacco to stop the issues. I'm definitely no fan of hallucinations and I had a few years back due to severe insomnia so I'm no fan of them lol. But anyways, after getting some tobacco and coming out of my assumed withdrawal state I realized that I tried to brute force it on my own. I prayed once and then completely forgot about God afterwards and just tried to rely on myself. Obviously, that didn't go well.

I now realize it's impossible to do with my own strength and by not relying on God, which should have been very obvious to me. Now I'm confused if I should go right back to trying to quit or should I try to figure out a game plan of sorts? Like pre-make some way to focus on God and prayer when I try again or figure some other things out to add as well? My addiction to tobacco is pretty severe in that when I have the money for cigarettes, then I usually smoke a minimum of two packs a day. I can't afford that monthly so usually in the latter half of the month I fall back on chew. When I'm using chew I use it all day unless I'm eating or drinking something. So I'm almost using tobacco 24/7 for each month. Any other former addicts that can give me some advice would be appreciated, as well as any prayer people are willing to send my way would be appreciated. Thank you all.

notmyown

May 26, 2016
i don't know a lot about this, but it's the nicotine, right? is there a patch whereby one can decrease the levels gradually? i dunno, maybe then the shock to your system wouldn't be so great, or the withdrawal so hard?

in any event, i will pray.

HeIsHere

May 21, 2022
I very recently tried to quit tobacco and I'll just say, it didn't go well. I only lasted maybe around 8 hours, though I honestly wasn't keeping track of when I stopped and when I went back to it. I started feeling the typical fidgetiness from quitting after only an hour or so. Then came the slight anxiety which led me to say some things I wouldn't normally have said in some texts and partially forget about giving up secular things. I think I've only tried to quit maybe 3 times. 2 I can remember vividly because they gave slight hallucinations on top of panic attacks which made me instantly get some tobacco to stop the issues. I'm definitely no fan of hallucinations and I had a few years back due to severe insomnia so I'm no fan of them lol. But anyways, after getting some tobacco and coming out of my assumed withdrawal state I realized that I tried to brute force it on my own. I prayed once and then completely forgot about God afterwards and just tried to rely on myself. Obviously, that didn't go well.

I now realize it's impossible to do with my own strength and by not relying on God, which should have been very obvious to me. Now I'm confused if I should go right back to trying to quit or should I try to figure out a game plan of sorts? Like pre-make some way to focus on God and prayer when I try again or figure some other things out to add as well? My addiction to tobacco is pretty severe in that when I have the money for cigarettes, then I usually smoke a minimum of two packs a day. I can't afford that monthly so usually in the latter half of the month I fall back on chew. When I'm using chew I use it all day unless I'm eating or drinking something. So I'm almost using tobacco 24/7 for each month. Any other former addicts that can give me some advice would be appreciated, as well as any prayer people are willing to send my way would be appreciated. Thank you all.
If you go to a pharmacy there are patches that you place on your body. The patches come in steps and help the body slowly wean from the nicotine addiction. They most common brand is Nicoderm.

Talk to the pharmacist, they will explain it to you.

Using a nicotine patch together with a fast-acting type of nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) such as gum or lozenges improves smoking cessation rates compared to using only a single type of NRT. Higher-dose nicotine patches are also more effective than lower dose ones, this NIHR-funded review suggests.

https://evidence.nihr.ac.uk/alert/u...her-improves-the-chances-of-quitting-smoking/

Also there is gum that you can chew.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Addictions of any kind are strongholds of the enemy. By the power of God and Jesus Christ you can
be free of life destroying habits. Some of my quitting smoking testimony is
here. You can do it, too!

The bold text above is a link to a couple of posts I made eight years ago... .:)

Bingo

Feb 9, 2019
"Let us pray to know with a spiritual awareness, often prayers are
often answered in ways never thought of. Thank God this I have learned to be true."
'Amen'

'Praise God'

man-praying - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy.jpg

Apr 18, 2024
If you go to a pharmacy there are patches that you place on your body. The patches come in steps and help the body slowly wean from the nicotine addiction. They most common brand is Nicoderm.

Talk to the pharmacist, they will explain it to you.

Using a nicotine patch together with a fast-acting type of nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) such as gum or lozenges improves smoking cessation rates compared to using only a single type of NRT. Higher-dose nicotine patches are also more effective than lower dose ones, this NIHR-funded review suggests.

https://evidence.nihr.ac.uk/alert/u...her-improves-the-chances-of-quitting-smoking/

Also there is gum that you can chew.
Thanks for reminding me of another option. I actually forgot about patches because the last time I checked roughly around 7 or 8 years ago, the cheapest was around $50 for a small amount of patches. I haven't checked since then so there might be some cheaper ones nowadays. I'll have to look into that.

notmyown

May 26, 2016
Thanks for reminding me of another option. I actually forgot about patches because the last time I checked roughly around 7 or 8 years ago, the cheapest was around $50 for a small amount of patches. I haven't checked since then so there might be some cheaper ones nowadays. I'll have to look into that.
your state may subsidize them to a degree. i mean, you're already paying for it in taxes, so why not take advantage of it, right? because, wow! they are spendy!

this webpage is a year old, but there's a hyperlink for each state. i hope it's of help to you, brother. if you have health insurance, the insurance company could be another source of assistance.

https://www.heyitsfree.net/free-nicorette-gum/#more-1826

we need You, Lord, to come to our aid and defense, just as You always do.