Creation Curriculum

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

TheGrungeDiva

Here's another blog I found on another site. >>>Open Letter<<<

The organization is one which offers a curriculum in creationism in the UK. I would like to hear comments on it, if we can comment and discuss without devolving into arguments and name-calling.

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
If someone is really teaching those things in a class as an educational then they deserve to lose their liecenses. Ive never readhalf of those things in genesis or seen any hinting that thy would be the case.

T

TheGrungeDiva

If someone is really teaching those things in a class as an educational then they deserve to lose their liecenses. Ive never readhalf of those things in genesis or seen any hinting that thy would be the case.
My understanding is that this is a curriculum in the UK. I don't know what the education requirements are there, so I can't comment on that.

I'm a little bummed that no one else has any comments :(

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
I mean in North Carolina we read the creation story albeit in English class and not science class but it wasn't like we ignored it. Also being the south the science teacher mentioned it anyways. I dont really care let people believe what they want. Schools should just teach both in some form I guess.

T

TheGrungeDiva

I mean in North Carolina we read the creation story albeit in English class and not science class but it wasn't like we ignored it. Also being the south the science teacher mentioned it anyways. I dont really care let people believe what they want. Schools should just teach both in some form I guess.
I agree that the Bible -- at least the Old Testament -- SHOULD be taught in English class. I think it's a shame that it isn't, because the Hebrew Scripture is the source and basis for so much literature, art, music, etc. in Western Civilization. Not to belittle the importance for the next life, but not knowing these stories in this life puts you at a severe disadvantage educationally.

The interesting thing I've found is that some atheists and agnostics know Scripture better than a lot of Christians I've met.

Jul 25, 2005
Plenty of angered disillusionment on his part. I understand where he is coming from in some ways having gone through the "I figured out my education was junk, wa, wa, wa" stage of life myself.

Fear lies at the center of a bad education or level of openness toward learning. Fear to ask important questions and present the popular and unpopular answers. Fear to put things in their proper place.

lil_christian

Mar 14, 2010
Wow....

My sisters and I have used Accelerated Christian education from 5th-10th grade. We are JUST fine. That letter....it makes me mad. I did Science 1099, and it said nothing of the Loch Ness monster!

Plus, it's good to have your facts. Yes you need faith. But also, facts are good to have. They confirm what already is.

Last edited:

lil_christian

Mar 14, 2010
ALSO, the canopy is a theory. They say it themselves it's a theory. But they also give some good examples on why their theory might hold substance.

And far as I know, A.C.E is no different in the UK than in the US.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2009
As someone who was educated using ACE curriculum grades 8-12, I find this letter to be misleading about the curriculum topics. These topics that this person claims ACE has used are not in the PACES. At least, not the ones I learned out of! Before condemning this curriculum, I would ask you to please research this on your own. Do not go off from something someone else said. I have my old PACE's upstairs in our attic, so if you would like, I would be more than willing to read through them and tell you what really is being taught. Also, as for all these things that were listed being facts, if they were indeed taught in the PACE's I am almost positive they were introduced as theories. You were left to your own conclusions. I hope this clears things up. Please, if you would like further info on this, don't hesitate to message me :)

T

TheGrungeDiva

My sisters and I have used Accelerated Christian education from 5th-10th grade. We are JUST fine. That letter....it makes me mad. I did Science 1099, and it said nothing of the Loch Ness monster!
I'm glad to hear that. Perhaps the UK version talks about the Loch Less monster, and the US version does not.

Plus, it's good to have your facts. Yes you need faith. But also, facts are good to have. They confirm what already is.
I think that is what the article is saying: you can have faith in whatever you want, but there is a difference between fact and faith.

I remember I was taking a college (undergrad) course in Biblical Literature. The professor was agnostic, but he was very good at teaching the stories in the Bible, teaching them in their historical contexts, what they would have meant to the people who read them first ... the oral tradition from which they came, etc.

There were only two Christians in that class -- me and one other girl. The rest of the class were Muslim or Agnostic. I remember the other Christian student and the professor got into a little bit of an argument about the difference between "faith" and "knowledge." He was trying to say that God's existence is a matter faith, not fact. She said, "No, I know there is a God. That's a fact, whether you want to believe it or not." I understood the point the professor was making, however, and offered this truce:

"I know that 2+2=4. I believe that God exists. Now, I may believe in God more strongly than I know that 2+2=4, but they're still different things."

Both the professor and student were satisfied with that.

T

TheGrungeDiva

As someone who was educated using ACE curriculum grades 8-12, I find this letter to be misleading about the curriculum topics. These topics that this person claims ACE has used are not in the PACES. At least, not the ones I learned out of!
That's good to know. As I said before, I wonder if the UK curriculum is different, or if this writer is referring to a more recent (or less recent) version? I'm also willing to accept that the writer is making this up, purely out of spite to sully the name of the curriculum. I have no evidence to the contrary.

Before condemning this curriculum, I would ask you to please research this on your own.
I am not condemning the curriculum. I didn't say anything, one way or the other, about the curriculum. I was simply offering this blog/letter as a topic for discussion.

I think it's great to offer up multiple theories, why they may or may not be true, what evidence there is to support them, what evidence there is or might be to contradict them, etc. That is exactly what science is. If you want to say that the world is balanced on the back of four elephants (or whatever it is in Buddhism - no offence intended to any of my Buddhist sisters and brothers if I got that wrong), go ahead and offer that up, and explain why or why not you accept that -- and what it would take to disprove it. If you can't indicate what would prove it wrong, then it's not a theory, it's a belief, founded purely on faith.

Now, there's nothing wrong with faith. I have devout faith in the God who created me, the "I Am" who made me who I am. I just know that I can never prove him to anyone -- that's the thing about faith. For those who don't have it, no proof is adequate. For those who do, no proof is necessary.

I think learning "The Scientific Method" is a necessity in this day and age.