CRISPR-CAS9 a Nobel prize winning (2020) genetic tool

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Have they gone too far ?
Crossed that line long ago, but this really is unsettling. Man messing with God's creation. Bad enough doing it with food, animals, "medicines", etc., but editing human DNA...pure evil. Do not see how ANYONE could think this is a great scientific "achievement", regardless how the technology is presented. "But, they are removing genes that are responsible for deformities and other potential health issues"...don't make a bit of difference to me. God created all human life, as He did, and as He sees fit. This is abominable.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021

Have they gone too far ?
Almost everything that mankind invents is two edged. Nuclear power is a good thing, nuclear weapons could render us extinct. Gene editing could save many lives and give others a better quality of life. The question is, will it be used for good, evil, or, more likely, both?

lawrence101

Jan 25, 2019
canada
" Crossed that line long ago, but this really is unsettling. " Indeed, but i don't think they meant it for harm . They have been researching how bacteria defends itself from a viral attack for several years, ( i think since 2012? ) and ( should i say ) stumbled upon an advanced tool for pricise gene/dna editing. Its only now (2020) that it has bin recognized by the greater scientific community.

What i find odd is that its not considered a prize in medicine or biology but rather chemistry . Why ?

"Emmanuelle Charpentier and Jennifer Doudna are awarded the Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2020 for discovering one of gene technology's sharpest tools: the CRISPR/Cas9 genetic scissors. Researchers can use these to change the DNA of animals, plants and microorganisms with extremely high precision. "

" Crossed that line long ago, but this really is unsettling. " Indeed, but i don't think they meant it for harm . They have been researching how bacteria defends itself from a viral attack for several years, ( i think since 2012? ) and ( should i say ) stumbled upon an advanced tool for pricise gene/dna editing. Its only now (2020) that it has bin recognized by the greater scientific community.

What i find odd is that its not considered a prize in medicine or biology but rather chemistry . Why ?

"Emmanuelle Charpentier and Jennifer Doudna are awarded the Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2020 for discovering one of gene technology's sharpest tools: the CRISPR/Cas9 genetic scissors. Researchers can use these to change the DNA of animals, plants and microorganisms with extremely high precision. "
Not sure, but seems like they are trying to play God. What He has created, He created for a reason and purpose.
Personally, do not agree with DNA altering of any type, for any reason(s) myself...

God created all life, the way He intended.

Rev. 4:10-11

10 The four and twenty elders fall down before him that sat on the throne, and worship him that liveth for ever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, saying,

11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

He created for His pleasure, as He intended. Who is man to alter what God created, regardless of their intentions? Playing God is my take.

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011
This sounds like it might have potential to eliminate things like genetic predispositions to diseases like cancer

This sounds like it might have potential to eliminate things like genetic predispositions to diseases like cancer
What God has made, He has made. Man should not try and play God...

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011
What God has made, He has made. Man should not try and play God...
Or...... God gave humans intellect to figure out how to do these things

lawrence101

Jan 25, 2019
canada
"God gave humans intellect to figure out how to do these things "

I guess nuclear weapons don't fall into this catagory.

Aug 20, 2021
we where made in his images of course we are going to try to play god.Nither sin or god will let us go are own way.

ThyKingdomComeSoon

Apr 1, 2023

Have they gone too far ?
yes they have gone too far , it is why I completely left science and retired. What they do now with modifying the genome of plants, animals and now humans displeases me greatly, they have corrupted GOD's creation. just like in the time of noah, hint The lord will not endure this very long I assure you.

Feb 21, 2016
Anything that has to do with the altering of the blood stay away from.Don't trust the goverment either when it comes to your blood/DNA.

ThyKingdomComeSoon

Apr 1, 2023
yes but not to alter or corrupt his work
Good afternoon dude,

If all the scientists had good intentions like when i started research more than 35 years ago I could agree that then the pursue of science was for advancement of knowledge an improve health. I saw over the years a gradual shift . The Pharmaceutical industry have invaded the universities, they pay researchers very small grants( In canada anyways) or simply buy their patent research, they have 2 big advantages in doing this, they do not need labs with staff to conduct research anymore and they have the names of the researchers on the scientific papers instead of the big pharma names it looks more legit this way. A study published a few weeks back proves that now 1/3 of publications in science journals are frauds... it is all about money now.

For this method crisper/ cas 9, it is not as people think, a miracle method, the cut and paste in the genome can also cut and paste in another gene sequence with some effects, it does corrupt the genome, they have better methods now but I grantee you that these methods will have long term effets. I could go on and on but i could probably write a book about this.

Also you probably know that Covid 19 was made in a laboratory using gene manipulation techniques, they added many other genes from other virus to make it more infectious, they call this gain of function, I call this madness, I was on scientific committees and quit because of mad scientists wanted to do these gain of function experiments with dangereous pathogens they claim is safe, I guarantee that it is not, I have worked in the best well funded labs in Canada so i know what is going on, Science as we knew it is now dead!

Blessings