Cross post: striving evangelical, faith offline

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
May 12, 2019
Was advised to post here so sorry for any repeat readers.
Anyway basically, potted history, I've been a Christian 30 years, from being a teen was in evangelical church where 'doing enough for God/witnessing enough' etc etc was the culture. Grace was mentioned but not really shown or felt. This culture pushed all my perfectionist buttons. Fast forward on a few years, after poor mental health due to circumstances and big work life balance changes, moving out of that church culture into one where the pressure feels off and grace is more present, I do the Freedom in Christ course and it blows my idea of my faith out of the water. I realise my flawed relationship with my real dad, mixed with previous culture and personality type massively means my relationship with God is tinted by a false view of God as one who is disappointed in me.
Fast forward again, my faith/relationship with God has failed to kick start now for several months as I don't know where to start in rebuilding my faulty faith. I'm in Christian counseling but would really like some advice on how to start rebuilding. Recommendation of book? Needs to be grace based. Would reading the alpha course help or does that lean to the striving/do more style of Christianity?
Sorry long post. Thanks for genuine advice. Trolls will be ignored. X

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Same answer i gave in your introduction post::

The Book i would recommend is the Bible.. Yeah might sound obvious but you will be surprised how many Christians put it last on their list of things to do..

I would read the New Testament again while praying for wisdom..

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
Was advised to post here so sorry for any repeat readers.
Anyway basically, potted history, I've been a Christian 30 years, from being a teen was in evangelical church where 'doing enough for God/witnessing enough' etc etc was the culture. Grace was mentioned but not really shown or felt. This culture pushed all my perfectionist buttons. Fast forward on a few years, after poor mental health due to circumstances and big work life balance changes, moving out of that church culture into one where the pressure feels off and grace is more present, I do the Freedom in Christ course and it blows my idea of my faith out of the water. I realise my flawed relationship with my real dad, mixed with previous culture and personality type massively means my relationship with God is tinted by a false view of God as one who is disappointed in me.
Fast forward again, my faith/relationship with God has failed to kick start now for several months as I don't know where to start in rebuilding my faulty faith. I'm in Christian counseling but would really like some advice on how to start rebuilding. Recommendation of book? Needs to be grace based. Would reading the alpha course help or does that lean to the striving/do more style of Christianity?
Sorry long post. Thanks for genuine advice. Trolls will be ignored. X
The bible. Read it every day.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
100% agree! The Bible is what you need!

When I was saved 39 years ago, God told me to read the Bible daily, and so I did. I started reading 3 chapters of the OT, and one chapter of the NT a day, to get through the Bible in a year. It is life transforming. It is where God will speak to you - through his word. I have read the Bible over 50 times, including in English, French, Spanish, some German and the NT in Greek and a number of books of the OT in Hebrew.

Also, try memorizing verses and then passages or chapters, that God shows you as an important verse in your life. Spend some time daily, meditating on those verses. Listen to what God is saying.

If I was going to recommend a book, besides the Bible, I would say The Divine Conspiracy by Dallas Willard. I have thousands of books in my library, could you tell me what areas you are interested in? I can recommend some good books for spiritual formation, which is what it sounds like you are looking for. Some other good books for an introduction to theology are Theology for the Community of God, by Stanley J. Grenz, and Faith Seeking Understanding by Daniel Migliore. They are hard books, but probably the easiest theology books to read. Reading theology helps you understand who God is.

And of course, prayer. This is not just talking to God, but listening for his answer. I prayed for my Father's salvation for 31 years. He was saved on his death bed. I prayed for my sister's salvation for 38 years, and God saved her last fall. She just woke up one morning, went to a church that a neighbour went to, and she was saved. I also witnessed to her many, many times. I prayed God would give me the right words to say. And he did! She was saved. Praying for the salvation of loved ones helps us participate in the mission field. Even if we can't leave home. And that brings us closer to God.