Curious about the subject fasting, if and how anyone fasts?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Dotann

Jan 28, 2012
Hi everyone! I guess the title is pretty self explanatory... I have fasted myself, but only for a few days at a time and not totally without food, or water, as i know there are many different kinds of fasting, and my health issues make it hard to do otherwise...

(Its actually dangerous for me to fast as i do now using the water, a small piece of fruit once at end of day and to do this for a 3 day cycle, but i realize it different for all... :) )

I am curious though, what you all think about this subject and if anyone else does this, and if you do, do the benefits reap the re-precautions? The reason i asks is i dont hear much talk about it any more? I hear lots of talk about prayer, but not so much about fasting and wondered why?

:)

W

wdeaton65

Fasting and praying go hand in hand and try to be as quiet as you can. You will hear from GOD better than ever Blessings

S

SierraJ

Like wdeaton65 said fasting and prayer to go together. When I fast it is to get closer to God, draw near. I personally don't tell other people if I am fasting unless it is a group thing..in Matthew 6:16-18...Fasting is a special dedication that is betwen God am your self and i feel people should do more ofter so that we are putting ourselves in position to have to rely on God and not ourselves.

Dotann

Jan 28, 2012
Yes i agree, but I pray all the time, And i don't fast every day. I don't think Jesus fasted every time He prayed? As the scripture says to pray without ceasing. For me i take this as when in the car, doing dishes, when someone comes to my mind, things like that.. but the Fasting thing, I do for different reasons...

I fast when i am searching, wanting to become closer to God, or need direction to a real tough decision. Sometimes i fast because i feel the Holy Spirit lead to fast and not really know why until after its over and then like a blind man who has found sight, i then see something clearly that i was once looking for earlier that i forgotten about.

God never forgets about me.. I am very grateful for that!

Thanks for all you posts... I am glad i am not the only one!

Thanks everyone! ;)

B

BishopSEH

Fasting is a form of sacrifice. Combined with prayer it is extremely powerful. For myself I do Daniel Fast's. Fruit and veggies instead of complete abstention from food. Its healthy, cleansing and safe. With my complete load of responsibilities if I were to take a full fast I would likely be seriously injured or killed. In my youth I used to do Jesus Fast's. 40 days no food. No one can go that long without water and neither did the Lord. It is exhausting but extremely fulfilling. The effects of a Jesus Fast are very beneficial barring a medical condition.

The thing is not to enter a fast lightly or without purpose. Its not a game or some mindless test of endurance. This is one of the highest forms of worship there is. Just as you should never partake of communion lightly, neither should you do so with fasting.

In Christ,

Bishop SEH

know1

Aug 27, 2012
I would not tell you this if we were face to face, or if you knew who I was, and I am not trying to blow my own horn, so to speak, as I don't see it as me doing this but Christ in me, because I have never liked fasting. In fact I loathed it.
I did it a lot when I was in high school for wrestling. I had to lose (or suck) the most weight and had the least amout of body fat. I would not eat or drink anything for three days and still jog to school, go to class, then to wrestling practice with a rubber suit on in a room that was set to 105 or 110 degrees, run some more, and on occasion play raquet ball, then to the sauna, and last I would go swimming, until the match. Everything was a struggle because I didn't have the energy. I did most of this every day for years, even in the summer for the tournaments, and so I had a real hate for it.
But I asked God for something one day and He told me to fast. Well, that always had a nasty ring to it in my ears and God knew that and told me to start out easy. I imposed some standards on myself where I would only have something to drink during that time and I would not eat past midnight. So I began fasting every day, where I would not eat anything until 11 in the morning. Okay, I know this sounds ridiculous but like I said, I really detested fasting, even though I did one 40 day liquid fast once before.
Anyway, once that became easy, I went to noon time, then to one, then to two, then three, then four. It has been eight months now since I started my fast. I do it to honor God. But if we don't fast in faith and follow the leading of the Spirit of God, and especially if we boast it before men, or for self righteousness before God like the pharisee that Jesus mentioned, then I think our works of fasting would be in vain and would be seen as filthy rags before Him.
If you have a dire situation and feel the need to go on a hard fast for what ever you are seeking God for, that is fine. But if you don't have a dire situation then, I think it is better go on an easy fast and be consistent than a short hard one. It would be like comparing the tortoise to the hare, or someone who went to God in an earnest heart felt prayer a few days for someone or something, then didn't show up for prayer for a while after that. Verses the consistently faithful three times a day prayer of Daniel or my wife and children.

damombomb

Feb 27, 2011
If the Lord puts it on your heart.............

H

HSfilledlady

I have fasted for different lengths of time by either doing a Daniel fast or just water, both crucify the flesh and bring it into subjection. The bible says to humble yourself and this is one way to humble ourselves. When we crucify our flesh, we get stronger in Spirit. I always hear more clearly from the Holy Spirit when I fast although I pray without ceasing throughout the day anyway His voice gets louder and clearer when I fast. I have recently been fasting once a week on the same day water only for 24-hour period for a specific purpose. When I get a breakthrough on that, I will choose another purpose and fast for that until I get a breakthrough and so on.

Dotann

Jan 28, 2012
H

HSfilledlady

[h=3]Matthew 6:5-6 (KJV)[/h]
[SUP]5 [/SUP]And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
[SUP]6 [/SUP]But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly. these verses tell us about prayer saying when we pray, don't do it this way but do it that way.
[h=3]Matthew 6:16-17(KJV)[/h]
[SUP]16 [/SUP]Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
[SUP]17 [/SUP]But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face Jesus talks about prayer and fasting in a parallel fashion. He says when we fast not if and then He gives instruction. This means Jesus expects us to fast. Here is a 55 minute you tube on fasting I like: Derek Prince 'WHEN You Fast, not IF' (sermon) - YouTube

J

jinx

Hi everyone! I guess the title is pretty self explanatory... I have fasted myself, but only for a few days at a time and not totally without food, or water, as i know there are many different kinds of fasting, and my health issues make it hard to do otherwise...

(Its actually dangerous for me to fast as i do now using the water, a small piece of fruit once at end of day and to do this for a 3 day cycle, but i realize it different for all... :) )

I am curious though, what you all think about this subject and if anyone else does this, and if you do, do the benefits reap the re-precautions? The reason i asks is i dont hear much talk about it any more? I hear lots of talk about prayer, but not so much about fasting and wondered why?

Fasting is a way to beat the flesh into submission. A way to be closer to GOD. It's a sacrifice of praise unto GOD. Being hypoglycemic I can't go too long without something in my system. My husband is the same way.

I believe I need more fasting in my life. There is nothing wrong with it. It's for GOD's glory so how can anything be wrong with it. And people do fast in different ways, as long as it is a sacrifice humbled before GOD.... That's all that matters.

kudos to you for doing what you can to get close to GOD!!!!

*****claps hands*****

P

PrettyBelle

I do a fruit and water fast since I take meds. I had the most amazing fast a while back with this method. When I fast I'm in prayer and scripture all day. The Lord will lead you to information that you need if you pray about it.