Dating a non-believer?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
G

Grizzly_Bare

It's a slippery slope..... as if there isn't enough temptation in day to day living... Dating an unbeliever is opening a whole industrial sized can of temptation. All it take is one small compromise..... I've tried it and man did I learn the hard way... smh

P

Psalm2713

I have a practical example... so i know this guy .. I think he might be the most virtous Atheist in the world :p ... He is just so gentle and sweet and totally

adorable (where I come from more than half the population is muslim).. he was brought up a muslim and did all the rituals that muslims do..like he went to the

Hajj with a clean shaven head..all those things but he is not muslim anymore.... we are pretty good friends so I always talk about God, it's natural for me,. they

believe in god but their god is not loving..so there is no forgiveness in their religion. he had been helping me through this major problem I had- now it was the

my biggest problem ever which was really nice of him because it was big..... he tried to comfort me through it by telling me about God because he knew I love

God..but I knew that it was not what God would have said.... so one day when i asked him about what he believed, he got so angry bcause he

didn't want to talk about God at all........... so here I am ..it's natural for me to talk about God ...and there is one of my best friends telling me they don't want

anything to do with God....it just

can't happen because God is every thing to me.... so when he rejected God, he rejected me....

W

wolfywolfs

I have a practical example... so i know this guy .. I think he might be the most virtous Atheist in the world :p ... He is just so gentle and sweet and totally

adorable (where I come from more than half the population is muslim).. he was brought up a muslim and did all the rituals that muslims do..like he went to the

Hajj with a clean shaven head..all those things but he is not muslim anymore.... we are pretty good friends so I always talk about God, it's natural for me,. they

believe in god but their god is not loving..so there is no forgiveness in their religion. he had been helping me through this major problem I had- now it was the

my biggest problem ever which was really nice of him because it was big..... he tried to comfort me through it by telling me about God because he knew I love

God..but I knew that it was not what God would have said.... so one day when i asked him about what he believed, he got so angry bcause he

didn't want to talk about God at all........... so here I am ..it's natural for me to talk about God ...and there is one of my best friends telling me they don't want

anything to do with God....it just

can't happen because God is every thing to me.... so when he rejected God, he rejected me....
i think its more of when he rejected god you rejected him. he knew you accepted god but he didnt reject talking to you he accepted who you were. now obv i wasnt there but there may be more to what your saying maybe he doesnt know what to belive so he is fustrated at that question. or maybe its because he felt threatened by the question he must of told you before that he doesnt have a religion so he may have felt that you were rejecting him . he may of felt that the question was gona lead up to "why arnt you a christian" again being rejected

A

AV_Techy_Dude

You have to ask yourself what your purpose for dating is.
If you are dating because you want to find a companion for life, your soulmate, so to speak, than I believe it would be impossible to be with
somone who did not share your same beliefs and convictions.
If you are dating to simply have friendships for a brief time, than, you can probably get away with not sharing the same beliefs and convictions, but
watch out, because if you grow attached to one another, this is going to become a wedge between you.

G

GreenNnice

What does 'being equally yoked' mean to you?

In the simplest sense, to me, it means, OH NO, I'MA 'BOUT TO SPEAK BRILLIANCE...Do not date someone who does NOT believe religiously like you. Paul speaking this 'yoked' stuff in Corinthians, so it's not me talking, it's a chosen one of God who wrote more of the new testament than anybody, Holy Spirit inspired writings, of course. So, not only does Paul say to date in this way, and, certainly that means being married in this way, but so does God say it. Like grizzledbear said, too, you are putting yourself in a serious compromising position when your values are not same as person you're dating.

Please; please, do NOT date for this next reason... but IF you think its OK to be dating this non-believer cuz you can CHANGE them, don't. It's just not good to go into a relationship with that kind of thinking and that goes for christian, Muslim, hindu, atheist, whoever. The reality of changing someone is not religion-specific.

I encourage those strugglng with this to draw nigh (close) to God because He THEN will draw close to you. What you should desire in your christian life more than anything else is a personal relationship with your Saviour. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
X

XboughtwithapriceX

I know that as an Atheist, I'd probably have a really hard time dating a Christian (Mainly if he was a fundamentalist or creationist) simply because I value knowledge and the sciences, and I don't think I'd be able to have a real meaningful relationship with someone who was so blind to that.

So what about the flip side? Believers? What do you think?
Christians are called to become knowledgeable people, the bible says it is wise to do that.

Proverbs18:15

An intelligent heart acquires knowledge, and the ear of the wise seeks knowledge.
Proverbs 2:10
For wisdom will come into your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul.
Proverbs 12:1
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

Proverbs 1:7 (REALLY LIKE THIS ONE)

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Your statement pretty much put christians in a box, a box where you deem us unknowing and unworthy if so to speak because according to you you cant be knowledgeable and a christian and value science.
Ok, well the bible does speak about science.
I am sure you know that even before it was discovered that the earth was not flat it was actually round, it was already in the bible.
The Bible indicates that the earth is round. One verse we can look at is Isaiah 40:22, where it mentions the “circle of the earth.” From space, the earth always appears as a circle since it is round. This matches perfectly with the Bible.
Another verse to consider is Job 26:10 where it teaches that God has “inscribed” a circle on the surface of the waters at the boundary of light and darkness. This boundary between light and darkness is where evening and morning occur. The boundary is a circle since the earth is round.
I think maybe it would be a good idea to do some research on that, the bible address a lot of scientific issues, a lot of astronomy, and it is accurate in every aspect.

I may be a christian, but I am not blind, far from it. Actually I don't mean to boast or anything, but I can, by the grace of God, be proud to say that I have a science degree in biology and I am currently pursuing my MbChb.
I can also, by the grace of God be proud to say that I have parents, both with science degrees and both with hearts on fire for their savior, Jesus Christ.
Don't judge before you truly know someone, you cant base us all on the same standards, yes we all Christians, yes we all believe in the same mighty God but we all still individuals. I believe that God puts different desires in each of our hearts, science or bible study, mission or to just be a wife and a mother, we all have a purpose to fulfill HIS will.
I don't think any Christians should be dating or marrying unbelievers, the bible is clear on that, so are most churches.
There are so many scriptures warning against this.

Deuteronomy 7:3-4

You shall not intermarry with them, giving your daughters to their sons or taking their daughters for your sons, for they would turn away your sons from following me, to serve other gods. Then the anger of the Lord would be kindled against you, and he would destroy you quickly.

1 Thessalonians 4:3-5
For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality; that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor, not in the passion of lust like the Gentiles who do not know God. (Obviously non believers expect sex before marriage, which is very wrong for Christians)
1 Corinthians 15:33
Do not be deceived: “Bad company ruins good morals.”

2 Corinthians 6:14

Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?
There are no grey areas with God, if he says yes, it is yes. If he says no, it is no.
God Bless you! :)

Last edited: