Dealing with someone who has BPD

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
I

igglepiggle

I'm sorry this is my first post, but I need help. It's going to be a long one, so grab a brew first!

My Girlfriend had a best friend until about a year ago. They had been friends since my GF was about 14 (other girl is a few years younger, so she'd have been 12 or so). This friend has always had problems and has had a rough ride. She had a retinoblastoma (I think that's right!) and had to have a glass eye. Her other eye is fine though. She claims she had bullying all through school because of her eye (it's a different colour to the other one, apart from that you can tell no difference) and claims this as the cause of her problems. For the last 6 years or so she has (genuinely) struggled with eating disorders and depression.

Three years ago something changed. It was shortly after I had met my GF although my GF wasn't spending any less time with this friend. I guess it seemed like she felt threatened. My GF would get horrible text messages from her friend if she didn't reply to her emails within 5 minutes, wasn't able to go and see this friend at the drop of a hat, or otherwise told her things she didn't want to hear. Bear in mind my GF is 2-3 years older than this girl, and had a full time job to keep down, responsibilities through the week at Church, and look after her younger brother while her Mum works night shifts. It sometimes just isn't possible to drop everything.

For the next two years my friend tried her absolute best for her friend, and on several occasions ended up going out at 2-4am to find this friend wandering along railway lines, threatening to jump from bridges etc... It was around this time that my GF and I had a meeting with the Church Minister to try and make sense of the whole situation. My GF had always calmed situations by saying things that this girl wanted to hear. "I'll do anything for you, they're wrong you're right, don't worry it'll be ok" etc... which looking back on things made things worse as it encouraged an "it's not my fault" attitude. We decided it was best to encourage her to seek more professional help as the help she "wanted" was making everything worse.

I think at some point she realised that this whole thing really was working for her. She printed a list of things that my girlfriend wasn't allowed to say to her, and became a whole lot more manipulative. She would deny that she had any problems, but when it suited her she had every problem under the sun! This was also the time she was diagnosed with BPD. Her behaviour is VERY in line with BPD symptoms.

She began to keep a tumblr blog of her life, which more often than not, was manipulative stuff aimed at my GF - to make her feel guilty. It also transpired in this time that this girl really does not like me (despite me making as much effort as I possibly could to get on with all my GF's friends and family - infact this girl is the only one who took a dislike to me) which I believe was because she felt I was stealing her friend away.

Things kept escalating, and after another meeting with our Minister we decided we would have to back off. My girlfriend wasn't sleeping (3-4 hours a night maximum), her performance at work was going down, and at some times I was genuinely worried that she was slipping into depression too. Thankfully she is a lot better now!

We explained to this friend why we were backing off, and told her she had to get more professional help. the Minister offered to meet twice a week with my GF's friend and has been an absolute star. Anyway, after this, this girl tried to get my GF sacked at work, spread rumours around Church about my GF, and when she didn't get a reaction she was rushed to hospital after trying to kill herself. Or so we thought. It transpired that she rang the ambulance herself and actually they found no trace of any substance in her system.

After this we pulled out completely and told her we would have no contact. She had tried every trick in the book, and really, she needs to start accepting the help she's offered. We have had no contact with her for a year now, but, we are still getting the harassment. She has also started harassing others. If you read her blog (where actually, she comes across as a sane and balanced individual - until you realise it's mostly lies!) you will read how her Church is possibly the most unchristian place you could imagine, how all her friends hate her, how she's the victim. She has gathered a few hundred internet "followers" which she has given both my and my girlfriends details too and we're not getting horrible messages from them too!

She uses bible passages to make us look bad (example: Luke 6:42) - claiming we've spread rumours about her (the closest to this is discussing the situation with out Minister - which was a private conversation held in confidence). She really comes across as the model Christian on her blog, while she's sending us anonymous hate messages! We regularly have our faith attacked (example: You're ugly. You were once a beautiful Christian, but now all I see is an ugly heart - that's verbatim).

At Church we're caught between two groups of people. Those who know how we were treated and sympathize with us, or the majority who believe we're evil, and not shoing "love and compassion". I do rather think that giving her everything she wants and not addressing the issues at the heart of this is not loving nor compassionate. A lot of Christians seem to think being all nicey nicey = love and compassion. Of course we've made mistakes and we don't deny that. We're young (I'm now 23, as is my GF) and it's something we've never had to deal with. The whole situation escalated quickly and we were in too deep before we realised! We never wanted to break contact with her, but she pushed every boundary until we could take no more.

We did try to re-kindle a friendship with her, and made it clear it would not be a "best friends" situation as per before. But it lasted about a week before she kicked off. She saw my girlfriend and I having a coffee in town, and we're horrible people because we didn't invite her. If we had invited her, we would have been horrible people for making her drink in public (eating disorders...).

She has moved out of her family home, lives alone in a flat paid for by our tax money (I wouldn't have a problem if it was sheltered accomodation, but it isn't), she gets £63.00 a week "wages" as she calls it. But she doesn't work. Quite honestly it's got to the point where I don't think she wants to get better. Her illnesses are getting her everything she wants.

I just don't know how we could have handled it differently. Maybe we are in the wrong? What can we do to stop the hate mail by post, email, phone and friends?

C

CatWoman

In the USA if someone is harrassing us we can go to the police and get a personal protection order out against that person.What that means is that person is not allowed to come in contact with you in any way.If they do you can call the police and they would arrest them.
I have bipolor disorder and so does my daughter. My daughter can be bad at times. She has poor judgement on things and does not relize she causes most of her problems.And of course its never her fault and she blames others. In my many years of treatment I have come across a few people who seem to not want to get better. I think they are afraid if they get better people would exspect them to be more responsable and they dont want responsablities.

I

igglepiggle

I really don't want to go down the route of a harassment order sort of thing. She wouldn't allowed to come to Church if we did that - and while she's coming to Church there's hope for her.

We still care very very deeply for her, but we can't cope with some of the things she's trying to do!

B

Be_Evergreen

"If your brother sins against you, go and show him his fault, just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over. But if they will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’ 17 If they still refuse to listen, tell it to the church; and if they refuse to listen even to the church, treat them as you would a pagan or a tax collector."
(Matthew 18:15-17)

We can only take so much, and God knows this. I think that if she is really bi-polar depressive, you should consider if she is getting help for or wants to get help for her condition. I feel for you though, my best friend has been diagnosed with depression, but I'm pretty sure she is bi-polar depressive. It's hard to deal with the highs and lows. Maybe this has nothing to do with the illness though, and she was simple raised to be who she is.

Anyone here who is wondering what BPD is as they go through this thread, Wikipedia is actually pretty accurate in their description of it. It's funny, sometimes Wikipedia goes more in depth than most college text books.

Bipolar disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You have both known her so long, it is only natural that your first instinct is to fix things.

Last edited:
I

igglepiggle

Sorry - BPD across here is Borderline Personality Disorder - I didn't know there was another meaning!

B

Be_Evergreen

Sorry - BPD across here is Borderline Personality Disorder - I didn't know there was another meaning!
Oh dear, I'm sorry! I've only heard of Bi-polar Disorder or Bi-polar depression called that! Although the Bible post still makes sense in this context, it seems even more important now to take her mental state into consideration.
Ay, I can see how this would be a challenge for you as well- as the very nature of this disorder is chaos. My deepest sympathies. Many people wouldn't put up with this sort of stuff for very long.

Is she seeing anyone for it, or has she been medicated?

I

igglepiggle

Oh dear, I'm sorry! I've only heard of Bi-polar Disorder or Bi-polar depression called that! Although the Bible post still makes sense in this context, it seems even more important now to take her mental state into consideration.
Ay, I can see how this would be a challenge for you as well- as the very nature of this disorder is chaos. My deepest sympathies. Many people wouldn't put up with this sort of stuff for very long.

Is she seeing anyone for it, or has she been medicated?
Oh yes, your reply was still very much relevant - I just thought I'd clear that confusion up.

She is being offered help. She has medication, she has access to professionals (doctors etc...), and she has support workers. She rarely takes her medicines (seems to be as some sort of punishment to herself... like she doesn't 'deserve' to take them, so she won't) she doesn't keep doctors appointments, if she ends up in hospital she talks down to the staff and walks out before treatment / proper examination. The only people she reguarly goes to see are her support workers. But even then, they're telling her that she's relying too much on them (which she is - again she's replacing the things she doesn't want to hear with things she does).

As I said earlier - She is a very clever girl. Very intelligent. And she's worked out how to use this illness for her benefit. Her blog come across as a sane, balanced, committed Christian coming from a non-Godly Church and friends. Which isn't the situation at all. It's quite the opposite!

Last edited:

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
Wow. This girl sounds alot like how my sister was.
My sister, Nicole had Borderline Personality Disorder. She thought nothing was wrong with her, and everyone else in the world had a problem. She would have good days, and then suddenly she would snap. She was abusive to her children,and there were times I had to come between her and our mother.

Nicole also suffered from anorexia which led to other health problems. Eventhough I knew she had problems, it was still hard to tolerate it. If she went off on me I went off on her.
She wouldn't take her meds like she was supposed to, which can even mess up the chemicals in your brain more. She would lie, steal and manipulate. At one point she had relatives turn against me by talking about how terrible I was. After I while I learned to brush it off.

One thing about her that I learned is ALOT of her issues had to do with her childhood, and how she was treated. She was teased in school, and never really let it go when she entered adulthood. She even got in a fight with our father when she was 15 and said some horrilbe things to him. That night our father was killed, and my sister felt so guilty, and the guilt overwhelmed her. That is when she started showing signs of anorexia.

We eventually found out(this past year) that the reasons for he problems was more than likely linked to a traumatic experience. Unfortunately my sister was so depressed we couldn't get down to what that experience was so she could get proper help.

Like I mentioned Nicole had anorexia, which led to other health problems. She was diagnosed with uncerative colitis in 2002. She refused to take her medication(anorexia) and put herself in denial that she had a problem with her colon. She was THAT far gone and in denial she didnt realize she was killing herself by not taking care of her body. on June 26, 2011 my sister Nicole passed away.

I don't know why I am telling you this other than I know what you all are dealing with is very hard. You cannot help her unless she is able to WANT help. I will pray that God will get through to her and she is able to get the proper help.

It is sad she is this way, but in all honesty she cannot help it. Maybe her retina issue sparked the disorder. Who knows, but there is something there that triggered it. If she or you all can figure ot what it is then maybe things will get better.

God bless.

I

igglepiggle

I'm very very sorry to hear about your sister.

But yes, they sound so similar. This girl also had sexual abuse from her brother when she was little. Her parents brushed it away, and always told her it was her fault etc... (to be hoenst she does come from a pretty dysfunctional family). She also has anorexic and bulimic tenancies as well as more obvious ways of self harm.

We know what she's going through is so difficult - but she won't take the help we have offered. She won't take the help the professionals have offered. She will only take what she can get and wants to hear.

We still pray hard for her - and always will. And we'd be very grateful if anyone who reads this does too.

B

BlueAngel

Both BPD's are pretty much the same thing.
And I used to have it.
I almost killed myself several times, and even tried killing one of my sisters once. It got pretty scary for most of the people who REALLY knew me. But most the time, I kept that I was that way between me and the rest of my family.
I'd steal and lie a lot. I never thought anything was my fault.
My parents have never had enough money to even consider getting me a phyc. They'd send me to different places (family only) in hopes it would change me. But whenever I wasn't around my imediate family, I behaved like an angel, so they'd send me back home. Or, they couldn't handle me any more. I always thought I'd get them back for sending me away. It was always someone else's fault.
Several times, I'd tell my friends I hated them. And other times I'd get so outraged, people said they'd see the devil in my eyes.
I had to make a choice to change, as does everyone else. You cannot change without first making a choice to do so.
Even after I had decided, it was terribly hard.
That was when I was thirteen.
I'm just sayin, the only way she's gonna get help is if she wants it. She's gotta make her own choice.
You can stop reading her stuff, just delet it, or throw it away, and you don't have to pick up the phone when she calls/ texts. If she's gonna treat you guys like trash.

V

violakat

From what you've described, I'm going to take a stab and say that Borderline Personality Disorder and Bi-Polar Disorder is the same thing. Everything you described about this young woman strikes me as classical signs of Bi Polar.

I

igglepiggle

You can stop reading her stuff, just delet it, or throw it away, and you don't have to pick up the phone when she calls/ texts. If she's gonna treat you guys like trash.
I appreciate what you're saying, and most of what you say rings so true.

The trouble is this last line. This is what we've been told by professionals, pastors, ministers, family etc... All the people who are not on the receiving end of this. She's still doing it after a year of non communication. She still turns up at my GF's house randomly, and just sits opposite watching the house. We've changed email addresses and phone numbers - it hasn't stopped her. Part of the trouble are the mutual friends we have who think we're to blame - I'm sure they're feeding her phone numbers etc... But I have no idea who.

B

Be_Evergreen

If you all go to church together, you could have a meeting with everybody in the room, lay out how you're all feeling about this. Or perhaps discuss this is private with a few of those friends?

Bi-polar:

Bi-polar is between two extremes, happy and sad. The mania periods can be expressed through creative "high"s, sudden extreme generousness, not eating, not sleeping- just working or giving, all of your energy. And then the depression hits. There is a cycle of manic and depressive states, that are very distinct. Can last days, not rapid.

Bipolar disorder - PubMed Health

Borderline personality:

BPD is a fluctuation of moods and feelings about others and oneself, as compared to putting energy into ideas as in a bi-polar individual. This often interferes greatly in their connection with other people, and they are very impulsive. They fear being alone, may feel empty inside or bored, and inappropriately display anger, at odd times.

"People with BPD also tend to see things in terms of extremes, such as either all good or all bad. Their views of other people may change quickly. A person who is looked up to one day may be looked down on the next day."

Borderline personality disorder - PubMed Health

They are two separate mental illnesses, treated differently, though similar in some respects.

Last edited:

SweetShelly35

Feb 21, 2012
I have BPD and I can tell you that is is nothing like bi-polar. I used to be the same way your friend was, but I receved theapy and god into my life. I started to realize how I was making others feel, and I finally got control of it. This disease does go into remission if treated, but you must really stick to going to a specific theapy called DBT. When ever I am not sure how to handle a situation, I take examples from the bible which has also been a source of great comfort. There is hope for your friend, but she must realize that she needs help on her own. If she feels ganged up on she will conclude that she is a victim. I am 36 years old, and up until I was 35 I thought everyone else had it out for me. I prayed for answers and I finally could see. You may not want to involve yourself with this person anymore but please keep her in your prayers. Your pastor could also pass along the DBT information to her, that really made me see that it was me all along.

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
I have BPD and I can tell you that is is nothing like bi-polar. I used to be the same way your friend was, but I receved theapy and god into my life. I started to realize how I was making others feel, and I finally got control of it. This disease does go into remission if treated, but you must really stick to going to a specific theapy called DBT. When ever I am not sure how to handle a situation, I take examples from the bible which has also been a source of great comfort. There is hope for your friend, but she must realize that she needs help on her own. If she feels ganged up on she will conclude that she is a victim. I am 36 years old, and up until I was 35 I thought everyone else had it out for me. I prayed for answers and I finally could see. You may not want to involve yourself with this person anymore but please keep her in your prayers. Your pastor could also pass along the DBT information to her, that really made me see that it was me all along.

It is wonderful to know you were able to realize you had this disorder. It is actually quite rare for someone to admit it. One you admit something is wrong then you can do something about it. I mam so happy for you!

Also, jsut from reading other posts it is important to know that there is no cure for any mental illness. One you have it you have it. Mental illness is treatable but not cureable and yes borderline personality disorder and bi polar disorder are two different things.