Dear children, keep yourselves from idols.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

SomeDisciple

Jul 4, 2021
I wanna know what people think is a fellowship breaker, and not tolerated in the Church, these days. I've heard people say idolatry is not a fellowship breaker, and point to Revelation and say "it's not a fellowship issue, see, it was in the churches then and God took care of it himself". I really get the impression God was not happy that he had to do it himself. He says "I have this against YOU: YOU TOLERATE that woman Jezebel who calls herself prophetess and who is teaching my servants to commit sexual immorality and eat food sacrificed to idols". And in the Pergamos church he says REPENT or I will make war against them with the sword. In both cases God says he will come kill the idolaters, but do you think that God actually wanted it to come to that- does he actually want them left in the church until he gets so angry that he comes to kill them personally?

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
"But now I have written to you not to keep company with anyone named a brother, who is sexually immoral, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortioner—not even to eat with such a person." 1 Corinthians 5:11

The church has fallen so far from her calling she's barely even recognizable: "having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away!" 2 Timothy 3:5 Tolerance is the word of the day; let's "love them into the kingdom." Never mind truth, that never helped anyone; it might even hurt them.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015

2 Thessalonians 3 : 6, 14, 15
:)

Jesusfollower

Oct 21, 2021
jamaica
God will never tolerate idolatry, as it breaks his commandments see in red below , I have added all of them them all for full measure.

Deu 5:6 I am the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.
Deu 5:7 Thou shalt have none other gods before me.
Deu 5:8 Thou shalt not make thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the waters beneath the earth:
Deu 5:9 Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me,
Deu 5:10 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me and keep my commandments.
Deu 5:11 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain: for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
Deu 5:12 Keep the sabbath day to sanctify it, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee.
Deu 5:13 Six days thou shalt labour, and do all thy work:
Deu 5:14 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, nor thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thine ox, nor thine ass, nor any of thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates; that thy manservant and thy maidservant may rest as well as thou.
Deu 5:15 And remember that thou wast a servant in the land of Egypt, and that the LORD thy God brought thee out thence through a mighty hand and by a stretched out arm: therefore the LORD thy God commanded thee to keep the sabbath day.
Deu 5:16 Honour thy father and thy mother, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee; that thy days may be prolonged, and that it may go well with thee, in the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
Deu 5:17 Thou shalt not kill.
Deu 5:18 Neither shalt thou commit adultery.
Deu 5:19 Neither shalt thou steal.
Deu 5:20 Neither shalt thou bear false witness against thy neighbour.
Deu 5:21 Neither shalt thou desire thy neighbour's wife, neither shalt thou covet thy neighbour's house, his field, or his manservant, or his maidservant, his ox, or his ass, or any thing that is thy neighbour's.

YAHWEH is a jealous GOD, He wants for us to be a holy people by listening to him. GOD asks for our full attention but not many follow his commands unfortunately.

Peace to you all,

JF

Dirtman

Jul 19, 2022
I wanna know what people think is a fellowship breaker, and not tolerated in the Church, these days. I've heard people say idolatry is not a fellowship breaker, and point to Revelation and say "it's not a fellowship issue, see, it was in the churches then and God took care of it himself". I really get the impression God was not happy that he had to do it himself. He says "I have this against YOU: YOU TOLERATE that woman Jezebel who calls herself prophetess and who is teaching my servants to commit sexual immorality and eat food sacrificed to idols". And in the Pergamos church he says REPENT or I will make war against them with the sword. In both cases God says he will come kill the idolaters, but do you think that God actually wanted it to come to that- does he actually want them left in the church until he gets so angry that he comes to kill them personally?
Yes, idolatry is a fellowship breaker. That was one of the reasons given by Luther for his push for reform. If you see someone in you church practicing idolatry you should first gently confront them. If they dont hear you you should bring in a few witnesses, if they dont hear that; then the elders of the Church. If they refuse the elders then they should be excommunicated. My church has a few step of excommunication. They will obviously removed from any office or position, then with held from communion and eventually asked not to come to church.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
God will never tolerate idolatry, as it breaks his commandments see in red below...
According to Scripture idolatry is more than the worship of idols or images. It includes anything that becomes greater than God in a person's life, and is literally worshipped. It also includes all the wicked practices which accompany idolatry.

We also read that "covetousness is idolatry" (Col 3:5). So wealth often becomes an idol, therefore Jesus said that it would be very difficult for the rich to enter into the Kingdom of Heaven. The narrative (not parable) of the Rich Man and Lazarus is a good reminder.

As to the criteria for breaking fellowship, they are clearly spelled out in the Bible. Idolatry would be included, and eating food offered to idols is also forbidden.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
Idolatry would be included, and eating food offered to idols is also forbidden.
Eating food offered to idols in and of itself isn't forbidden. This is spelled out in 1 Corinthians 8.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
People make idols out of anything and everything these days. From political ideologies to careers to food choices/diets.
They did these things in times past with carved images...today we just drop the statue and put up a picture or brand name.

Sure, you can put your identity into anything over and above your identity in Christ and try to claim Christ as well...we see that a lot anymore. But the truth is in your actions.
That coupled with all the many money grabbers in the ministry and its difficult to find a place to focus your energies other than on yourself.

But it is possible...it just isn't easy. And it does require work...and not the easy kind either.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Eating food offered to idols in and of itself isn't forbidden. This is spelled out in 1 Corinthians 8.
Well the Bible does not contradict itself. So let's see what we have in Scripture.

ACTS 15: EATING FOOD OFFERED TO IDOLS FORBIDDEN
28 For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things; 29 That ye abstain from meats [FOOD] offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

1. Who is the Holy Ghost? God the Holy Spirit
2. Did God specifically give this directive to the Church? Absolutely
3. Is it plainly stated that food offered to idols is forbidden to believers? Absolutely

ROMANS 14: WE ARE TO KEEP IN MIND WHAT FOODS OFFEND OTHER BELIEVERS
15 But if thy brother be grieved [OFFENDED] with thy meat [FOOD], now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died. 16 Let not then your good be evil spoken of:... 21 It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.

1 CORINTHIANS 8: REPEATS THE PRINCIPLE STATED IN ROMANS 14
7 Howbeit there is not in every man that knowledge: for some with conscience of the idol unto this hour eat it as a thing offered unto an idol; and their conscience being weak is defiled. 8 But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse. 9 But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak. 10 For if any man see thee which hast knowledge sit at meat in the idol's temple, shall not the conscience of him which is weak be emboldened to eat those things which are offered to idols; 11 And through thy knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died? 12 But when ye sin so against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, ye sin against Christ.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
Yeah, like I said, eating meat offered to idols isn't automatically a sin.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
we’ve been shown the true God in the gospel and so this can keep us from idolatrous images of him

“And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.

Little children,keep yourselves from idols. Amen.”
‭‭1 John‬ ‭5:20-21‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Anyone or anything other than Jesus the son of God , purporting to be a divinity or “ god “ is an idol.

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
Intention has more to do with your relationship with God as opposed to an action.
Now when you’re idolizing Satan, a political figure or anything else in between … that’s a pretty sure bet on icing your relationship with Jesus.
‘But as far as “sin” is concerned that’s a bit of a mystery and is always left up to God.
Because by default we are sinful because death exists.

But even if we take our human knowledge and compare “sins” between each-other then we might still fall short because we don’t have God knowledge.

For example, you might have a blind, deaf and mute and paralyzed person who has never done anything evil in their life. I would consider this person “pure”. Also an unconscious person who might be on a breathing machine for decades would also be “pure”. But this person might not believe in God at all, or has no concept of God because of mental handicaps. So what do we make of him?
This is why these types of things are left up to God.

Our job here is to show to others through our actions and deeds that Jesus has told us a way of life which surpasses all the unknowns we face on a daily basis and to have trust on His promise that He will return and make everything right just like Eden.

SomeDisciple

Jul 4, 2021
Idolatry is a very large category of things... but it's interesting to note that overt idol worship is not just something we read about in history books and the bible...

Stolen from wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_modern_pagan_temples

this is just a small list of pagan temples in the US.
United States

RUNVira Temple of Mother Ukraine-Oryana, Spring Glen, New York.

Sep 13, 2022
A fellowship breaker would be when you worship something or someone else besides God and teach doctrines that are contrary to God's word. In Rev 2 & 3, twelve churches are mentioned. The Lord only approved of two of the twelve and found fault with the other 7. Learn what Smyrna and Philadelphia taught that the others didn't.