Death Penalty

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

shovelmaster

A friend and I recently had a discussion on the death penalty(aka capital punishment). I just wanted to see what everyone here thought of the death penalty...from a christian perspective. Is it right or wrong?

A few questions to consider when answering(but say whatever comes to mind):

-Is prison enough of a punishment?

-Is the death penalty justified based on the Bible? (considering both the OT and NT AND what changed when Jesus paid our debt)

-Is sentencing a murderer to death a sin?

-Would your answer differ if the most important person in your life was murdered...OR...had somehow snapped and was the murderer?

Thanks for considering this :D. I look forward to your posts.

W

walkinthespirit

Well I think murder is a sin biblically, thou shall not kill.
So no I dont agree with the death penalty!

God bless you shovelmaster!

B

be_still

I have thought about this topic before , myself. I do not agree with capital punishment."Thou shalt not kill" Killing is killing no matter who it is or what they did. I believe that it is not for us to decide who shall keep their life and who shall be put to death. That makes killers out of the ones executing others through judgement of the law or otherwise.
I do understand though that it would be unbearably painful to have a loved one murdered. Naturally, on a human level, it would make me hate the person who did it and want them to suffer greatly for murdering someone that I loved. Only through God would I be able to find it in my heart to forgive that person.