Deeper meaning in the fringe

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 31, 2011
you don't worship God through your clothes.

what of the poor who are unable to afford such fringes?
Better yet, don't worship at all!! I've heard lots of people talk about the effort it takes to do something to express their love of the Lord.

There are poor in the world who cannot afford new clothes, too. Maybe you should never again buy anything new?

A

Ariel82

Jesus does teach from the Torah, but HE also taught how the JEWISH people were blinded by what they THOUGHT the OT said, instead of trying to understand WHY God told them those things.

an example would be the telfilin, another would be the mixing of wool and linen.

its not about mocking anyone who chose to wear tassels. its about missing the point of God's message.

the outward manifestation of one's faith is MORE than just appearances. God tells us to be adorned not with a cross or religious jewelry but with GOOD WORKS.

Not hiding your light under a bushel is NOT about clothes or jewelry but speaking of God with His Truth in your heart and mind. It walking with the Holy Spirit every moment of every day.

It is not fear of anything a Jewish person might do from the Torah but acknowledgement that before Jesus they did things with a veil and misunderstood many scriptures and did not understand what the shadows were meant to represent.

It is calling people to turn from looking at the shadows, looking at the OT with a veil and instead come into the Light and KNOW Jesus Christ as their savior and have His Holy Spirit teach them the Truth behind the scriptures. Instead of the lies and traditions of men that are being taught as God's laws.

B

Bryancampbell

We shall not judge another by what they practice for the Lord, but if they say it's a must, or should be required with faith of the Torah, then there is a veil, and corruption does follow.

Jesus told us in Matthew that is new wine can't be poured into old wineskins or else they burst, but new wine in new wineskins (v. 9:17). We cannot claim a new man inside but live in the old man outwardly. You must change inside and out, not holding on to the past, but becoming a new creation in all areas in our life.

WomanLovesTX

Jan 1, 2010
Jesus does teach from the Torah, but HE also taught how the JEWISH people were blinded by what they THOUGHT the OT said, instead of trying to understand WHY God told them those things.

an example would be the telfilin, another would be the mixing of wool and linen.

its not about mocking anyone who chose to wear tassels. its about missing the point of God's message.

the outward manifestation of one's faith is MORE than just appearances. God tells us to be adorned not with a cross or religious jewelry but with GOOD WORKS.

Not hiding your light under a bushel is NOT about clothes or jewelry but speaking of God with His Truth in your heart and mind. It walking with the Holy Spirit every moment of every day.

It is not fear of anything a Jewish person might do from the Torah but acknowledgement that before Jesus they did things with a veil and misunderstood many scriptures and did not understand what the shadows were meant to represent.

It is calling people to turn from looking at the shadows, looking at the OT with a veil and instead come into the Light and KNOW Jesus Christ as their savior and have His Holy Spirit teach them the Truth behind the scriptures. Instead of the lies and traditions of men that are being taught as God's laws.
Doctrines and traditions of men is definitely the problem. I am not Jewish nor do I hold to oral Torah or man made laws and holidays. The truth behind the scriptures is what I seek. God says His way is to be obeyed and that there are blessings in obedience to His commandments and curses on those who disobey. Do a word search on "for ever" of the scriptures. These are the commandments of GOD that are to be done. I haven't learned perfectly, but through precept upon precept, line upon line, I apply the commandments through His grace. Talk about veils!

WomanLovesTX

Jan 1, 2010
We shall not judge another by what they practice for the Lord, but if they say it's a must, or should be required with faith of the Torah, then there is a veil, and corruption does follow.

Jesus told us in Matthew that is new wine can't be poured into old wineskins or else they burst, but new wine in new wineskins (v. 9:17). We cannot claim a new man inside but live in the old man outwardly. You must change inside and out, not holding on to the past, but becoming a new creation in all areas in our life.
Corruption does not follow obedience. Blessings follow obedience.

B

Bryancampbell

Corruption does not follow obedience. Blessings follow obedience.
Is your obedience of the law my friend, or of Jesus? If of Jesus then do I sin because I don't hold to the same observance? Let my conviction be what God wills.

Mar 18, 2011
if wearing a reminder on ones clothing helps them to remain focused on God through the chaos of life then who are any of you to deter them?

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Are you daring to say it is OK to actually DO something in our day to day life that reflects our devotion to our Lord? Didn't you hear Paul say that it is the gospel that is most important, and the church has decided we may do nothing of this kind to show our faith? Paul said God accepts us without any of this, and it takes effort and great love of the Lord to go beyond what we have to do. Posters say that if we do something it only means that we are not trusting God to give us all without any of what we do. It is free. Never lift a finger in worship, only worship in spirit.

Stand back, the brick bats will be flying.
Paul wasn't a legalist like you would like to paint him as. This is a matter of freedom.

~Yours truly,
Brick Bat

B

Bryancampbell

if wearing a reminder on ones clothing helps them to remain focused on God through the chaos of life then who are any of you to deter them?
It's the same thing as back then when the Jewish and Gentile believers observance in Paul's time about eating meat. Romans 14:19-23

KohenMatt

Jun 28, 2013
Sadly for those who focus on tefilin like that, it's not a Biblical Instruction. Just a misguided interpretation of a simple instruction, which seems to be the status quo with a lot of Orthodox. Once you take the Spirit out of the picture, all sorts of trivial and odd traditions come into being.

WomanLovesTX

Jan 1, 2010
Is your obedience of the law my friend, or of Jesus? If of Jesus then do I sin because I don't hold to the same observance? Let my conviction be what God wills.
Torah is not just LAW. These first five books weave a story of God's chosen nation and God's instructions and God's government. They 12 tribes failed miserably after promising to do all God said to do. God divorced the house of Israel and through Yeshua and the giving of the Holy Spirit we can have God's way written on our hearts so that we bear righteous fruit and of the root of our salvation is in Yeshua. Being Torah obedient and grace dependent is what I am. I am a new woman.

KohenMatt

Jun 28, 2013
taken a lamb up to the temple lately? you did say you were observant!
Nope, but I have taken the sacrificial lamb (Yeshua) to a temple not made with hands, a.k.a. one another. Encouragement, teaching, intercession are great sacrifices and offerings to bring to God's house these days.

B

Bryancampbell

Torah is not just LAW. These first five books weave a story of God's chosen nation and God's instructions and God's government. They 12 tribes failed miserably after promising to do all God said to do. God divorced the house of Israel and through Yeshua and the giving of the Holy Spirit we can have God's way written on our hearts so that we bear righteous fruit and of the root of our salvation is in Yeshua. Being Torah obedient and grace dependent is what I am. I am a new woman.
Let that be your conviction if the Lord wills, and please explain how he "divorced" Israel, what exactly do you implore in that context? But you are right the Torah isn't just about law, but you see I'm speaking of the law in the Torah. Now friend if you believe in Y'shua hamasiach as the Savior and are saved by the faith in the Lord as the word prescribes, then your saved. But for teachings don't push it to someone who is weaker in this God did not will in others. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves. Romans 14:22c NASB

Oct 31, 2011
Paul wasn't a legalist like you would like to paint him as. This is a matter of freedom.

~Yours truly,
Brick Bat
I think your mind is getting mixed up with doing, and as you talk so against doing you say all doing is legalism. Is that it? It is strange that the word legalism is always brought up if anyone mentions any effort to do for God.

I wonder that someone speaks as if it would be impossible to do good and wear a fringe at the same time! Could a fringe stop doing good? Or remind them to do good.

God is the Father, we are the children. I can just hear a Father saying to go put a string on your finger to remind you to go to the store and the kid saying you know, Dad, a string on my finger stops me from going to the store. I don't think a father is going to buy that.

R

RachelBibleStudent

i don't see a problem with this as long as it is accompanied by a proper understanding of the gospel of salvation by grace through faith...

in other words...as long as a person doesn't do this based on the mistaken idea that they and others are -required- to do it...

i know that there are several traditional ways of tying the tassels...i wonder if you could tie one so that it is in the shape of a cross...

K

kenisyes

The differences in how the approvers and the disapprovers understand the English language is more extreme than anything I have seen talking to people from Australia, South Africa, New Zealand, Spain, UK, Malaysia, Liberia and Ghana put together. How one person can see a path to Jesus in a tallit, and another see only sin is quite incredible.