Demanding Child Sacrifice?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 24, 2012
Was God demanding child sacrifices here? “Do not hold back offerings from your granaries or your vats. You must give me the firstborn of your sons. 30 Do the same with your cattle and your sheep. Let them stay with their mothers for seven days, but give them to me on the eighth day." Exodus 22:29

W

wwjd_kilden

No. It says that the children were to to be redeemed

11 “After the LORD brings you into the land of the Canaanites and gives it to you, as he promised on oath to you and your ancestors, 12 you are to give over to the LORD the first offspring of every womb.

All the firstborn males of your livestock belong to the LORD. 13 Redeem with a lamb every firstborn donkey, but if you do not redeem it, break its neck. Redeem every firstborn among your sons.

Jan 24, 2012
No. It says that the children were to to be redeemed

11 “After the LORD brings you into the land of the Canaanites and gives it to you, as he promised on oath to you and your ancestors, 12 you are to give over to the LORD the first offspring of every womb.

All the firstborn males of your livestock belong to the LORD. 13 Redeem with a lamb every firstborn donkey, but if you do not redeem it, break its neck. Redeem every firstborn among your sons.
What does it mean to be redeemed in this context? In other words, what does He mean by "giving" them to the Lord?

W

wwjd_kilden

All the firstborn males of your livestock belong to the LORD. 13 Redeem with a lamb every firstborn donkey,
from my understanding: You can sacrifice another animal and let them live
but yes, they are also, i think, to be dedicated to the lord, as in: They should serve him in some way or another (they have more responsibility than the other children)

Jan 24, 2012
All the firstborn males of your livestock belong to the LORD. 13 Redeem with a lamb every firstborn donkey,
from my understanding: You can sacrifice another animal and let them live
but yes, they are also, i think, to be dedicated to the lord, as in: They should serve him in some way or another (they have more responsibility than the other children)
oh ok thanks :)

E

enochson

Everything belongs to the Lord. Only man and his pride would think some.

May 18, 2011
As Hannah promised Samuel to YHVH, this is also what that scripture is talking about, that the first born male be dedicated to Yah.

Dec 19, 2009
Was God demanding child sacrifices here? “Do not hold back offerings from your granaries or your vats. You must give me the firstborn of your sons. 30 Do the same with your cattle and your sheep. Let them stay with their mothers for seven days, but give them to me on the eighth day." Exodus 22:29
No, he's just saying that they were to allow the Lord to be in control of the lives of their first-born sons. Come to think of it, that probably would be good advice for all children, wouldn't it?