Democracy

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 19, 2009
I am a believer in democracy. Still, the democracy we have in the United States has been evolving over more than 200 years. Blacks couldn’t vote until after the Civil War in the 1860s. Women didn’t get the right to vote until 1919.

So is it possible for an undemocratic country to install a successful democracy in a year?

S

STOMPDANCE

Sure, it can be done. What country are you proposing this democracy?

BillyTheKid

Feb 17, 2009
I think it can be done, but there would be a lot of kinks to work out over the years. I guess start with a basic structure and go from there. No government has been the same since being formed. Once they see the problems in the way they have it set up then they can make changes to make it better.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2005
Rule of "the people" requires virtue. In redressing initial evils, our society has struggled in seeing the fundamentally good.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Rule of "the people" requires virtue. In redressing initial evils, our society has struggled in seeing the fundamentally good.
And now we have devolved into asking ''What is good?, What is evil?'' and believing it's a matter of choice.

Jul 25, 2005
And now we have devolved into asking ''What is good?, What is evil?'' and believing it's a matter of choice.
Not to mention a vote...

Irony thy name is Democracy.

S

Steve4U

Isn't democracy the foundational tenent of (US of)American public life - "for the people, of the people, by the people"? And even here "down-under" and in the UK, our Westminister system is strongly held on to - almost no one is thinking of changing it.

And it does seem the most beautiful system, on paper.

But I'm going off it a bit.

It is suseptable to the power of the unvirtuious, like all systems. (Well said Mr Ritter: Good to see you here after nearly 2 years absence - still intelligent and brief posts, bless you.)

And we've all come to suffer from it now with the GFC.

(What happened) there's no checks on the checkers - costs too much money, and doesn't bring votes.

And cronyism.

And how often do any of us see a politician face-to-face, or have a chance to express our point of view?

It seems the best "system" is one which inspires each of us to do our best (virtue), and not undermine the system by taking what we can for ourselves.

(Thus: a monarchy, or benevolent dictatorship.)

But where do we find a perfect man?

Anyway it's all theories.

As Winston Churchill said English-speaking peoples abhor putting sole power into the hands of one man. And rightly so. (Because of what can happen.) (makes us Il.)

Democracy is the fairest system for everyman.

But it surely needs to be improved, and I don't think one year will do it.

Dec 19, 2009
Something I forgot to mention in the original post. Before the original thirteen states would sign on to the Constitution, there had to be a Bill of Rights added.

Dec 19, 2009
I think it can be done, but there would be a lot of kinks to work out over the years. I guess start with a basic structure and go from there. No government has been the same since being formed. Once they see the problems in the way they have it set up then they can make changes to make it better.
How about initiating a coup and then starting over, as Egypt seems to be doing?

Dec 19, 2009
Too often, the majority can go astray, it seems to me. Still, I see no better form of government.