Demons and pigs

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

MaggieMye

Cflutz3: Job did not sin: Job 1:8Then the Lord said to Satan, “Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil.”
He was a righteous man that God used to show US that when we refused to succumb to the negative and speak against God and His ways, we will be blessed greatly.

G

GreenNnice

Ok, remember that story in the Bible when Jesus cast those demons out of that man and sent them into the pigs? One thing that has always bothered me about that story is this. He just drowned over 2000 pigs. Those pigs were someone's source of income because there were herdsman there. Jesus, being a man of integrity certainly would have paid those men for their loss of income. Maybe he did and the Bible just neglected to mention it.
The Lord leads. The peace of God passeth all understanding. God's ways are just and fair, dude, so, we can assume that God's ways were just and fair for this situation with the pigs running over the cliff and the owner losing out on having porkchops. God provided manna, He surely provided for this pig owner too. Plus, God's ways are not our ways and His thoughts are not our thoughts. His higher purposes are GOOD, and, whether that man was reimbursed or not, surely God was showing Love, as, He is Love and He cannot be unfaithful to Himself, of which He is just, and, with mercy and grace, and, He will mete it out freely as His will is done. And, YOU will be blessed.

I don't bet, I KNOW< one way or another, that pig owner was BLESSED for ACCEPTING what Christ did in His life as PERFECT and that a trust in God would make that man have a Jobian (read Job ch. 1 and 2 and then see what happens after all that in ch. 38 on :) ) life experience, and, the words 'abundant' and 'many-fold blessed' explain that experience.

T

Tintin

You can believe what you want. But I've studied and studied, taken classes, etc. I know what I'm talking about. Scripture does not lie. People perish (both physically and spiritually) for lack of knowledge. God protects those that walk in righteousness which cannot be done if there is unrepented sin or generational iniquity....which is to say that yes, it COULD be because of the sins of parents or grandparents...per Ex 20:5
What about all of those faithful Christians in Third World countries who are persecuted, tortured, raped and slaughtered for their beliefs? God protects us from the Enemy, but not necessarily physical violence perpetuated by the Enemy.

C

Cino

Maybe they were wild pigs that didn't belong to anyone. Jesus never made mistakes.

C

cfultz3

Cflutz3: Job did not sin: Job 1:8Then the Lord said to Satan, “Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil.”
He was a righteous man that God used to show US that when we refused to succumb to the negative and speak against God and His ways, we will be blessed greatly.
Sure he did. He accused God of being unfair in his life, he repented, and God blessed him.

J

jkalyna

The Lord knows us and says he knows our needs even before we ask, as his children, his light and spirit dwells amongst us, and within us, but he does not enter into the mind of evil. I don't believe he knew that that was going to happen, for someone to lose their produce,, as it said, they ran violently, demons are violent, they kill, murder, and they stole that persons produce of income, as not only are they violent but they are responsible for suicides, as it said, they drowned, unvoluntarily. Important fact is that demons do enter animals. This is what I think,, hope no one gets mad about it...ya'll :)

T

Tintin

Maybe they were wild pigs that didn't belong to anyone. Jesus never made mistakes.
Jesus doesn't make mistakes but he does teach us lessons to help us examine our sinful selves and to help us to grow to be more like him. The pigs weren't wild. The Bible mentions 'swineherds' (the pig equivalent of a shepherd). The pigs were a source of income for the town, possibly a major source.

Crazyteen

Aug 11, 2013
I personally raise pigs, and I have always thought about, when I have a sick pig, would god even consider helping it heal, because its "unclean".
Or has god changed his mind since he told peter "Rise and eat"
maybe he meant that its better not to eat unclean, but when that becomes your obsession your better off just blessing it and trusting god.

Aug 2, 2013
Perhaps the story is more about compassion and priorities. How sad it must have been for those two demon possessed guys, living in tombs and so violent they kept a road closed. Looking at these two with eyes of compassion, Jesus didn't hesitate to sacrifice a herd of pigs to rid these two of their demons. On the other hand the town people were more concerned with the value of the pigs than the two men. Hey, at least the town folk got their road back.

Dec 11, 2011
I don't need classes and diplomas to know what God says. Once again, John 9. I don't live in fear of every sin I make, that would be ridiculous. It's my nature to sin and God doesn't tap a correction stick in his hand waiting for me to mess up

You can believe what you want. But I've studied and studied, taken classes, etc. I know what I'm talking about. Scripture does not lie. People perish (both physically and spiritually) for lack of knowledge. God protects those that walk in righteousness which cannot be done if there is unrepented sin or generational iniquity....which is to say that yes, it COULD be because of the sins of parents or grandparents...per Ex 20:5

T

Tintin

Perhaps the story is more about compassion and priorities. How sad it must have been for those two demon possessed guys, living in tombs and so violent they kept a road closed. Looking at these two with eyes of compassion, Jesus didn't hesitate to sacrifice a herd of pigs to rid these two of their demons. On the other hand the town people were more concerned with the value of the pigs than the two men. Hey, at least the town folk got their road back.
You make a very good point. I'd like to add that this passage also lets us know about the seriousness of sin and that Jesus Christ is the only true healer.

C

Cino

It doesn't really matter if they were wild pigs or belonged to someone. If Jesus, it's fine with me. End of story. Now we are going to question the pigs that Jesus put the demons into? How far will you go? Where's simple faith. This is not an important question pertaining to salvation.

C

Cino

I meant to say if Jesus did it, it's fine with me.