depressed

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

lizybeth

I am new here and looking for some sort of support group or something to help with depression. I was married to an abusive man for 16 yrs. threw myself into another abusive relationship and I dont know where to turn.

Sep 27, 2009
I am not a counselor, but I think you need to pray to the Lord, get communication going with him, and walk with him always. Also, I’d say that you need to resist the temptation to get into any more relationships.

S

songster

Hi, I know that there are times when life causes us to feel that we just keep spiraling downward, from one situation to another, but remember that we can stop at any time, recommit our lives to God and ask for him to restore us. Many are waiting for the perfect guy/gal, and some are still believing that blessings only come with dollar signs attached, but salvation, (being saved), is the greatest blessing, its also a new beginning.

The truth is, he cares about you, even when you mess it up. Our choices can create stormy times and emotional pain, but God's love for each of us does not change. Ask forgiveness for any sins you believe you've committed or are committing. Break free from relationships which cater to your passions and self perception. Find a supportive church, (I prefer non-denominational), and begin to make real friendships with christians who are genuinely concerned about you.

In time you'll see God's faithfulness and he'll recognize your desire to draw closer to him. Some of this doesn't occur overnight but will take persistance and diligence on your part. It will test your heart , your character, and your motives. Let him piece together the broken pieces and if you desire a mate, once you've achieved a sense of stability and a network of supportive (non-internet) friends, ask God for a godly man to come into your life.

Don't reject yourself or disqualify yourself from experiencing joy and contentment, simply because you may have missed the mark a few times. If you don't own a bible, you'll need one. I recomend starting with the book of Matthew or John, to get an idea of who Jesus really is and what he expects from you. Make time for him and talk to him, ask him for help, believe that he will do it.

Jeremiah 29:11 ... For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper
you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. ...

E

eterno

I am new here and looking for some sort of support group or something to help with depression. I was married to an abusive man for 16 yrs. threw myself into another abusive relationship and I dont know where to turn.
Lizzy,
My wife was married to an abusive first husband and it took quite a few of our 30 years of marriage to be able to really trust me. I whole heartedly agree that you should avoid relationships where you are not honored for who you are. Her healing came through her trust in GOD. I have struggled with depression for the last 20 years or so. I finally came to understand that mine was caused by a poor relationship with GOD. This was mostly due to the unrealistic demands of a very legalistic smothering religion that I had instead of a real relation ship with Jesus. The best thing that I ever did for myself was to read a book "The Naked Gospel" by Andrew Farley. You can order it from Amazon.com for $11.00 or $12:00, well worth it.. Come to a complete understanding of GOD'S love for you and you will recognize a healthy love when you see it., beware of religions'.. just seek a true relationship.

L

lizybeth

thank you for your support.

S

Sassafras

Depression is a horrible enemy. Please remember that you are dearly loved. I fight depression alot and feel I have made many stupid choices in my life. Remember to trust in God and allow him to help you through his love and empowerment. The words above by others are so true. God will help you just let him show you. I sending you my thoughts and prayers.

M

maggiemodluvshim

Lizybeth,
I am not an expert by any means but I do think I have something to offer. I am a firm supporter of your out reaching to your brothers and sisters in Christ. I applaud you. I want to further encourage you in your outreach to 1) seek out a battered women's group in your area to get counseling or seek out your church pastor's wife or female elder in the church that will be able to provide support face to face. I believe knowledge is power.. and I am all about understand myself and the behaviors i have and what trigger those behaviors. Perhaps also seeking out counseling and getting support for yourself that way is something that will also help you. I know for me, sometimes the change in weather will trigger feelings of loneliness, and get me down. AS a result I tend to exhibit behaviors that are not healthy. Lizy you are well on your way to becoming whole again... that is a great thing. Continue on your journey sister ... if there is a YWCA in your area they can be helpful or even a church that may not be your home church .. where you can get support (because sometimes we don't want our "personal business" aired out where we worship... although as a brother or sister in Christ, we should not have to worry about confidentiality.). I implore you to continue and to ask .... I am not sure what area of the country you are in... but check for services that can help you become a whole you again. I believe that the Lord works through His word and through His people and I believe that the Lord works through services that are in place to help the civilian..... God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power love and a sound mind... My prayer for you my sister is that the Lord would restore you and that you would of sound fabric in body, mind, and soul.

Maggie