Depression?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Have you tried to cope by one of these ways?

• cutting

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • drinking

• sex

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • other

• Total voters
T

tryingtofindhim

I've been going through depression for 4 long years. For those years I've hid it from everyone and now its starting to catch up with me and the weight of everything is about to be too much. I've tried to ease the pain through drinking, cutting and venting and none of them work. I have some Christian friends and non Christian and I'm sick of hearing the Christian friends giving me Bible verses and the non Christian ones giving me wisdom because I feel like they are just words people memorize. If that makes sense. Anyone been through it and have any advice? Also wanted to make a poll to see if anyone's tried coping in the ways I have.

B

Beeb0

I suffered with depression for quite awhile, worst time of my life. It was only when I fully committed myself to God that I was healed of it all. I never did any of the above mentioned, I just endured it by myself before turning to God. You'll learn that with prayer & total trust in the Lord, your problem will cease; Often times I found great joy in helping others & just doing something positive. With God's help & the will to change the bad in your life, you will be delivered.

J

jayce

Thank you, Joey. Your message helped me greatly.

Jayce

M

Matthew

I've been going through depression for 4 long years. For those years I've hid it from everyone and now its starting to catch up with me and the weight of everything is about to be too much. I've tried to ease the pain through drinking, cutting and venting and none of them work. I have some Christian friends and non Christian and I'm sick of hearing the Christian friends giving me Bible verses and the non Christian ones giving me wisdom because I feel like they are just words people memorize. If that makes sense. Anyone been through it and have any advice? Also wanted to make a poll to see if anyone's tried coping in the ways I have.
I have never been diagnosed with depression but I have suffered with it, but like yourself and many others I tried to hide it thinking I could deal with it and it made things worse.
I have come to understand that depression is something that unites us, in the sense that the vast majority of people, if not all, will deal with it in some form at some point during their life and yet when we are in the throws of it we feel it is impossible to believe that anyone could help or understand, in that way we become our own enemy and sometimes we don't find a way out.

I never coped with it in any of the ways you listed, I just isolated myself and outside of work I became reclusive and that led to other problems, I compromised myself by comfort eating and all together it hindered my social develoment during crucial years.
I began to understand that people are all the same with no more knowledge than me, they had no answers to give and never would have, it sounds like nothing but I accepted the fact that my feelings could not be reconciled, once that happened I found it easier to see the value in the deeds I did each day and that helped encourage me to keep doing good, even if only small gestures, I was improving this world by degrees.

I never quite found the same solace in the Bible as others have but it may work for you, it's the little things that make up life, so I put my focus there and in terms of my feelings, the rest becomes easier to accept.

T

tryingtofindhim

Thanks for the feed back everyone. One thing I forgot to ask is has anyone ever felt the want to die everyday? Is that normal?

M

Maddog

Thanks for the feed back everyone. One thing I forgot to ask is has anyone ever felt the want to die everyday? Is that normal?
I have. I'm going through depression right now. From what I understand, no it's not normal, but it is very common.

B

Beeb0

I felt that way everyday for 3 years when I had it. Don't let that feeling overwhelm you, stay strong in prayer & put your troubles in God, he will give you peace. God has a plan for all of us, a great plan; Although it may not seem like during this rough time, just gotta stay strong & positive. Know that it's not in his will for us to feel this way & that you are very precious to him.

If you were to take a look at Isiah 61 v 3 you will see that depression is a spirit (known as the spirit of heaviness)

Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me bless His holy name. Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits- Who forgives all my iniquities, who heals all my diseases, Who redeems my life from destruction, who crowns me with loving kindness and tender mercies, Who satisfies my mouth with good things,so that my youth is renewed like the eagle's. (Psalm 103:1-5)

S

shakespeare_lover221

I went throught depression for most of my life, I was beaten a lot when i was younger up until i was about 14. I cut myself a lot because it did relieve some of the pain.. but that's just it.. some. I even attempted suicide because it got so bad. Eventually, I started writing poetry, short stories, etc. to help get things off my mind. When i started going to church again a few months back and started putting my faith in God, and started trusting that he would help me through my troubles, i've realized that I'm not as depressed. I still have my moments of sadness, but everyone does.

I have. I'm going through depression right now. From what I understand, no it's not normal, but it is very common.
Depression is normal, because without darkess there can be no light. With out hitting the bottom there is no way we can rise.

M

Maddog

Depression is normal, because without darkess there can be no light. With out hitting the bottom there is no way we can rise.
I mean it's not normal in the sense that one's brain chemicals are not in the balance they ought to be.

S

shakespeare_lover221

I mean it's not normal in the sense that one's brain chemicals are not in the balance they ought to be.

ah.. okay... that's true. and that is why people try to cope by cutting or drinking, because it settles the chemicals...

Oct 8, 2009
I believe depression can be caused by 2 things. poor nutrition and spiritual weekness

Fish oil is something that I take it has omega 3 and it is supposed to help with depression. Also try to avoid to many sweets and try to maintain a fairly healthy diet

However I became a christian a little over 3 months ago and before that I thought that I had ADHD, Bypolar,and I also delt with a lot of depression. I would sit around entertaining thoughts of suicide but I knew that I would only speed up my trip to hell. Finally I got to the point were I gave my life completely to Christ and told Him that I would be willing to make any change and do what every He tells me to do.

Since then I feel like all those symptoms have been lifted. See we get to caught up in the carres of this world and forget that this life is just a vapor. In a thousand years from now it is going to just a faided memory of eternal regret or eternal joy. A lot of times when we have depression I think it is because we have not given every last part of our life to Christ so He can change it. There may be some strong holds, maybe bitterness, maybe you havent forgiven someone, or maybe you are exposed to sin etc. The best solution is to ask Christ to reveil to you what you need to do and read the Bible.

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Ephesians 6:12

Ya I'm not trying to sound like I'm better than anyone but I feel like the Lord has shown me my error and I want to help others if I can.

Last edited:
A

aprilrenee1

I have struggled with depression on and off...but right now, its the worst. wow...its never been this bad. Everything is crashing.

G

Grace928

hehe...........