Deus Absconditus _The God who hides Himself

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Deus Absconditus _The God who hides Himself in order to reveal Himself.

The theologian of glory looks to the grand things...mighty signs, miracles, great learning a world leader etc. in order to find God.

The theologian of the cross finds God (who hides Himself) in what man calls the insignificant...a babe wrapped in swaddling cloth, a suffering and crucified carpenter, foolishness of preaching, bread and wine.

Here is the basic principle...
For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with words of eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power. For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written, "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and the discernment of the discerning I will thwart." Where is the one who is wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe. For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom,
(1Co 1:17-22)

But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God.
(1Co 1:27-29)

He hides/ reveals Himself in that which man deems foolish.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2013

The theologian of glory looks to the grand things...mighty signs, miracles, great learning a world leader etc. in order to find God.

The theologian of the cross finds God (who hides Himself) in what man calls the insignificant...a babe wrapped in swaddling cloth, a suffering and crucified carpenter, foolishness of preaching, bread and wine.

For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with words of eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power. For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written, "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and the discernment of the discerning I will thwart." Where is the one who is wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe. For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom,

But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God.
I'm not comfortable with this esoteric human notion of God.

I just don't think it adds anything to the Bible's exoteric presentation, which I think cannot be improved upon. . .

"The foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength."

"The wisdom of the world is foolishness in God's sight."

". . .by the standards of this age, he should become a 'fool' so that he may become wise."

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012

Thank you Crossnote deep meaning here foe me togive up on any of my works and or knowledge and just trust our living loving God revealed in and through the cross where all the power is

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
I'm not comfortable with this esoteric human notion of God.

I just don't think it adds anything to the Bible's exoteric presentation, which I think cannot be improved upon. . .

"The foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength."

"The wisdom of the world is foolishness in God's sight."

". . .by the standards of this age, he should become a 'fool' so that he may become wise."
I am not sure of your implications. Is Isa 53 esoteric? I would think not. It's not that God hides Himself where only a special few can know Him, but rather he hides Himself AND reveals Himself in the things man considers weak and foolish.
Luther developed this thought in his Heidelberg Disputations (google it).

Jan 19, 2013
I am not sure of your implications.
It's just that Scriture never uses that notion.

It's an invention of man, with an esoteric flavor.

I prefer the strong exoteric flavor of Scripture.

Is Isa 53 esoteric? I would think not.
Do you find that notion in Is 53?

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
It's just that Scriture never uses that notion.

It's an invention of man, with an esoteric flavor.

I prefer the strong exoteric flavor of Scripture.

Do you find that notion in Is 53?
Isaiah 53:2-3 For he grew up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.He was despised, and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and as one from whom men hide their face he was despised; and we esteemed him not.

Also 1Cor chapter one as I posted in my original post states the same principle. ¿no?

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2013
Isaiah 53:2-3 For he grew up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.He was despised, and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and as one from whom men hide their face he was despised; and we esteemed him not.

Also 1Cor chapter one as I posted in my original post states the same principle. ¿no?
Are you saying this is where you see God hiding himself?

Because he would have been just as hidden in all Jesus' earthly comeliness, right?

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Are you saying this is where you see God hiding himself?

Because he would have been just as hidden in all Jesus' earthly comeliness, right?
Right, and that is why as Messiah even the disciples struggled thinking their Messiah would come as a conquering king.
Well he came as a conquering King but not in force and glory but in the weakness and foolishness of the cross...in what looked like defeat to human eyes He conquered sin, satan, and death.

H

Humbled_and_Saved

My only take is Christ came to us as a servant, as a simple man preaching of Heavanly things and with great authority that even the Jews or his bretheren became offended who had wealth and influence over the people which shows you that it is through simpleness we find redemption for we are to be washed of our sins through confessing Christ as LORD and coming to him in a spirit of submission.