Deuteronomy 30:19 & Joshua 24:15

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

tribesman

Oct 13, 2011
Deut.30

[19] I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:
Josh.24

[15] And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
These two scriptures are addressed to God's covenant people, Israel. God is asking - them - to make up their minds and choose what is right. Of course, He knows that some of them won't do this. But again, He's asking them to choose that which is right. He's not asking the pagan world or the heathen to do this, He is not expecting that from them, since they are "aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world" (Eph.2:12). He is asking this from the israelites in particular, because through the covenant they have both knowledge about what is right and the ability to choose it and abide by it. This then cannot be a universal call to all people.

There are those who want to use these verses as proof texts for that the calling of God to choose what is right is not only to God's covenant people, Israel, but a universal address to all people in general, including the pagan world and the heathen. Which of course also implies ability in all people in general to be able to choose and do what is right. What this boils down to is a most serious matter. If you say that these calls are universal, the consequence of that will be that you will give people who are not in covenant with God the same characteristics and qualities as those who are in covenant with God.

Eventually it will end up with giving the unregenerate the same characteristics and qualities as the regenerate. You will think that God asks and expects from the unregenerate what He only ask and expect from the regenerate. You will think that the unregenerate has the ability to choose and do what only the regenerate can choose and do. Unregenerate, or natural, man, (who is dead in trespasses and sins, a child of wrath Eph.2:1-3), will be exalted to a level that he certainly is not on.

See also this related thread:

http://christianchat.com/bible-disc...pology-view-man-christ-paul-vs-pharisees.html <- link

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Brilliant. I really liked the link too.