Deuteronomy 32:8

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

KJ22

Apr 14, 2013
Deut 32:8 in the NRSV reads:
8 When the Most High apportioned the nations,
when he divided humankind,
he fixed the boundaries of the peoples
according to the number of the gods;
9 the Lord’s own portion was his people,
Jacob his allotted share.

Deut 32:8 NKJV reads:
8 When the Most High divided their inheritance to the nations,
When He separated the sons of Adam,
He set the boundaries of the peoples
According to the number of the children of Israel.
9 For the Lord’s portion is His people;
Jacob is the place of His inheritance.

The NRSV suggests a divine council of which Yaweh is part. According to my study, the "Most High" is "Elyon" in Hebrew and "Lord" is "Yaweh". So far, I've learned the difference in translation is the result of there being two Hebrew texts of Old Testament scripture (the Masoretic Text and the Septuagint).

My learned friends, I find this subject difficult to understand. Which Hebrew rendering is correct, the Masoretic or the Septuagint? For those that have studied this scripture, what are your thoughts?

Apr 6, 2012
The Bible that I reference mostly is the NWT. Deut. 32:8, 9 is rendered very closely to NKJV.

N

nathan3

Why not just used this . This simplifies it and gives you the most accurate read of it. Some times you might need to do more Work.
But Duet. 32 is already translated well in the King James Version.

If you still don't get it, use a Strong's E. C. of the Bible.

Index - King James Bible with Strongs Dictionary - SpeedBible by johnhurt.com

Deuteronomy 32
Deuteronomy Chapter 32 - King James Bible With Strong's Dictionary - Bible Software by johnhurt.com

King James Version (KJV)

32 Give ear, O ye heavens, and I will speak; and hear, O earth, the words of my mouth.

2 My doctrine shall drop as the rain, my speech shall distil as the dew, as the small rain upon the tender herb, and as the showers upon the grass:

3 Because I will publish the name of the Lord: ascribe ye greatness unto our God.

4 He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he.

5 They have corrupted themselves, their spot is not the spot of his children: they are a perverse and crooked generation.

6 Do ye thus requite the Lord, O foolish people and unwise? is not he thy father that hath bought thee? hath he not made thee, and established thee?

7 Remember the days of old, consider the years of many generations: ask thy father, and he will shew thee; thy elders, and they will tell thee.

8 When the Most High divided to the nations their inheritance, when he separated the sons of Adam, he set the bounds of the people according to the number of the children of Israel.

9 For the Lord's portion is his people; Jacob is the lot of his inheritance.

10 He found him in a desert land, and in the waste howling wilderness; he led him about, he instructed him, he kept him as the apple of his eye.

11 As an eagle stirreth up her nest, fluttereth over her young, spreadeth abroad her wings, taketh them, beareth them on her wings:

12 So the Lord alone did lead him, and there was no strange god with him. - Continues

Last edited:
May 15, 2013
When the Most High gave the nations their inheritance,
when he divided all mankind,
he set up boundaries for the peoples
according to the number of the sons of Israel.
9 For the Lord’s portion is his people,
Jacob his allotted inheritance.

Numbers 1
17 Moses and Aaron took these men whose names had been specified, 18 and they called the whole community together on the first day of the second month. The people registered their ancestry by their clans and families, and the men twenty years old or more were listed by name, one by one, 19 as the Lord commanded Moses. And so he counted them in the Desert of Sinai:

J

jerusalem

once all the exposed land mass of the earth was in a single place ( panacea )Genesis 1:9. in the days of peleg, after the food, the earth mass was divided. Genesis 10:25. the people were divided into three major groupings Genesis 10:1 then into sub- groups Genesis 11:8. Then God singled out a particular group for a particular purpose Genesis 12:1-4. and divided even those into specific groups for specific purposes, Genesis 21:10-21, through Hagar and Genesis 25:1-6, through Keturah......as you can see i haven't even left the book of Genesis yet. the story is a long one and the geneologies even longer. the story becomes even more complex when we see how the various groups abandoned the one true God for others, Genesis 16:6-15. By the time we get to Deuteronomy 32:8 it has been made very clear that the people God would be using would be those who came down through the patriarchy i e the bloodline (dna for the blood always passes down through the father) and not through the matriarchal lineages as they would represent multiple bloodlines through multiple inter-marriages. (since dna for the blood always comes from the father this was symbollicaly very important because Jesus born of a woman via the overshadowing of the Holy Spirit would necessarrily receive His blood from His Father i e God Himself so that it would be God's blood not man's that was shed on the cross) since Jesus had to be BOTH fully human and fully God a fully human bloodline had to be maintained. but human blood had been corrupted prior to the flood by intermarriages with those that were not human, Genesis 6:1-4. subsequently and trying to keep this short.....God had divided His fully human group into 12 divisions that He scattered throughout the earth intending that those 12 groups would dominate the world scene eventually. the 10 tribes/divisions of Israel are a separate set of groups from what is called by that name today. that group is primarily Judah. the other groups are ruling various places around the globe today and are in conflict with those outside of their own groups. hence Deut.32-8 and many other scriptures beside.