Did Jesus address vipers the same as sheep? Is it permissible for believers to do likewise?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Does Jesus expect us to address vipers and sheep in the same manner?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

UnitedWithChrist

Aug 12, 2019
Two questions:

Did Jesus address vipers in the same manner that he addressed sheep?

What do I mean by "viper"?

I mean someone whose fundamental nature is to find something negative, in conversations, so that he can accuse the person. He is not looking to learn or understand.

What do I mean by "sheep"?

I mean someone who is seeking to learn or to understand.

The basic question, though, is whether Jesus expects the believer to address vipers in the same tone that he would address sheep.

If you think Jesus expects us to address the two in the same manner, can you find Scripture to support this?

If you don't think Jesus expects us to address the two in the same manner, can you find accounts that support this, from Jesus' life or the lives of the apostles or believers?

My personal opinion is that the answer is highly situational, and requires the guidance of the Holy Spirit. For example, when it comes to those who are attempting to discredit the gospel or Scriptural teachings, there is more to be considered than just personal humility.

Having been a member of a cultic organization, I realize that if I don't address their answers with firmness and confidence, they will assume that they are right in their teachings, and I cannot provide a good, evangelical response. Therefore, I would be obligated to respond to them in an aggressive manner.

Martin Luther was known for his strong polemics against Roman Catholics. I would not exactly take his approach, as he used distasteful language at times, but I do think it is appropriate to be very aggressive with those who are seeking to discredit sound doctrine.

Proverbs 26:4-5
4 Answer not a fool according to his folly,
lest you be like him yourself.
5 Answer a fool according to his folly,
lest he be wise in his own eyes.

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
Answer, no.
Jesus rightly called only a certain group of people vipers, and also stated they were of their father the devil.
Matthew 23:33 33"You snakes! You brood of vipers! How will you escape being condemned to hell?
Matthew 12:34 34You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.
Matthew 3:7 7But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming to where he was baptizing, he said to them: "You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the coming wrath?
John 8:43-44 43Why is my language not clear to you? Because you are unable to hear what I say. 44You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

John the Baptist also did this when warning of the coming of Jesus and condemning the scribes and Pharisees as a "brood of vipers" .

They did this because those two groups of elders in the temple were responsible for leading Jews in the truth of the Torah scrolls. Their behaviors were contrary to that and this is what garnered the judgment.

Individuals on forums are entitled to their opinions. As are people entitled to disagree. If someone cannot accept , like the one's Jesus rightly accused, they in their efforts to "teach" people their beliefs on a forum are wrong, and are told this by those as entitled to opine as the presumed "teacher" presumes entitlement to teach, perhaps that presumptive "teacher" should accept the lesson afforded by those experiences. Rather than seek to call those people names because they are not yet arrived at a state of maturity so as to behave as one who is in Christ. Which precludes thinking such a one is able to teach Christ.