Did John really write Revelation while on Patmos? Maybe not.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

DJT_47

Oct 20, 2022
Has anyone ever really thought it mattered though? How is it popular belief I’m in my 70s never wondered where he was when he wrote the book until I saw your post lol
No it doesn't really matter, but most people simply assume Rev was written by john while on Patmos.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
No it doesn't really matter, but most people simply assume Rev was written by john while on Patmos.
Yeah I guess if someone would have asked me I would have and sort of do still lol so you’re probably right . It seems like he was told to “write what he’s seen “ but we are t told when he wrote.

we don’t actually know he probably wasn’t writing it down as he was seeing it otherwise he wouldn’t have noticed what was happening with such detail imagine also he was often hearing loud voices in and recalling what was said in heaven as well as seeing visions in heaven and on earth it would be hard to write that and still see what was happening and hear all at the same time

better to watch and see it all carefully paying it attetion . and then write down how it came to be . So I do see your point John eas also in the spirit and taken into heaven I doubt he took writing materials with him probably afterwards he wrote it

“I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ. I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,

And I turned to see the voice that spake with me. And being turned, I saw seven golden candlesticks; and in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle. His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire; and his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters.

And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last: I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

Write the things which thou hast seen,

and the things which are,

and the things which shall be hereafter;”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭1:9-10, 12-15, 17-19‬ ‭KJV‬‬

He’s told to write more than just what he saw but the things which are ( current ) and shall be afterwards ( future )

My assumption has always been he probably saw and paid attention and listened and then recorded what had happened and what he saw and heard afterwards whenever he had writing materials whether then of later but it really never says John was writing as he was witnessing the vision that seems unlikely to me anyways which lol is just some commoners opinion in an online forum so.

i didn’t see the relevance lol but anyways brother God bless

Blade

Nov 19, 2019
That's pretty much it. Does it matter? No, but it's simply a point of view contrary to popular belief, and predicated upon a careful look at the words used which most people tend to gloss over here and likewise elsewhere. The simplest of words could have significant implications.

There are far greater issues in Revelation that have a much greater impact on Christianity than this minor thing that I've highlighted.
One would think the thousands that came before us and Scholars alone would have caught this huh. I do wonder if we think he had pen and paper and was writing it all down as it happened? :) I can't speak for others but when the lord tells me something no matter how much time has passed its as if He just said it. You never forget.